How did you discover Firewind?

My friend was a big fan of Gus G's and first showed me Nightrage before Gus left and then showed me Kill To Live by Firewind and I was hooked! That was like the first really good metal I ever heard outside of Iron Maiden and Metallica.

for me it was on the progpower UK website, when they played a few years back, saw the video for i am the anger (which is pretty random) and was hooked ever since!

i had already been obsessed with DragonForce after seeing their video for the song Operation Ground and Pound. So I'm on youtube looking for videos involving Herman Li. I come across this one called "Herman Li Police Video," so i watch it, and it, of course, happens to involve a then-unknown-to-me Gus G. of a band called Firewind. So a few weeks later when i was watching the same video again i decided to check out some Firewind. First song I ever heard by them was "The Fire and The Fury." I was instantly hooked and have every album to date and am working on getting the Live Premonition DVD.

I was seriously bored while waiting for my partners for a project to finish their work, decided to go to Wikipedia and hit the random article button until something interesting showed up. I think the third article was on Gus G., and I decided that was interesting enough for me.

Later I heard Mercenary Man on AOL Radio (while working on the same project) and that was when I became a fan.

I discovered Firewind when I saw that they were opening for DragonForce in dec 2006 or something. Later I browsed through the other works of Gus, and saw that he plays on the Regressus CD from Mystic Prophecy... and I saw that I actually have that CD, and was like: "OMG, why didn't I notice!?!"
The Firewind Gig in 2006 was totally amazing, so I'm into Firewind since then.
GREAT!

Back in 2003, someone online recommended Mystic Prophecy's Regressus album to me...

dude, I remember that! That was in the Iced Earth Forum, when someone wanted to listen to bands that are familiar with IE, and someone recommended MP! I read that post and agreed with that, because I discovered MP like one month before then:D

cheers

A friend showed me a video on Youtube with Allegiance as the backing music. I listened to it a couple of times bought it off itunes and fell in love with all their other music.

They were included in a free CD off one of the metal mags I buy, first hearing and I was hooked :) I think that was back last year sometime, but managed to see them at the Wulfrun on this last tour and well..... just sublime...... :)

I haven't told my story yet on how I discovered the lovely gorgeous Firewind but would love to, hope you don't mind.........here goes anyway....

Like most of you I discovered them in 2006 when they supported Dragonforce, however, I couldn't get tickets, left it too late and it had sold out! That was at Nottingham Rock City. The next time they played which was either late 2006 or early 2007 they played the basement of Rock City but I had already bought tickets ages before for Porcupine Tree, so at the sametime as Firewind were playing downstairs I was watching PT upstairs, if only I could have swapped my tickets, I would of!!

Eventually got to see them live for the first time at a one off gig they did at JB's Dudley directly after they played Bloodstock in 2007, there were only about 60 people there but they played to a thousand in their little Greek hearts, the rest is history.........btw Henning Basse was on vocals here!

Thanks for listening.... Deb x

bizarrely enough, me and Kirsty were at that gig in Nottingham, I remember saying to my friends how all the people in the Porcupine Tree queue so come see Firewind instead. You should have listened to me :p

bizarrely enough, me and Kirsty were at that gig in Nottingham, I remember saying to my friends how all the people in the Porcupine Tree queue so come see Firewind instead. You should have listened to me :p

Yeah I should of damn!! It was horrible knowing they were playing oh so close.........

my ex sent me a song over msn....she thought it was gonna be one of those songs that would wreck my emotions, but i thought it was awesome, LOL

haha definitely, i love it when an evil plan gets completely turned around on someone, LOOL

a friend of me had tickets for a show in the 013 in the netherlands and he asked me if i wanted to come with him, i went and that was teh best concert of my life. after that i bought all the albums and i only need the demo album and then i have them all

I work at a music store (a national retail chain that is NOT Guitar Center). At the turn of 2007, we received our new product catalogs from ESP guitars. While studying everything they had available, I came across Gus's page for his signature guitar. I loved the shape (I'm a fan of star-shaped and explorer-shaped guitars), the bridge (original Floyd Rose) and the pickups (Seymour Duncan), but thought to myself, "Gus G? Who the fuck is that and how did he scam his way into getting a signature guitar distributed here in the States?" Later in the year I received this promo DVD from ESP that showed music videos of their endorsed artists along with interviews with them afterwards. On that promo DVD was the 'Falling To Pieces' video along with a short interview with Gus talking about his influences and his signature guitar. Although it was a poppy-sounding song, I was impressed by it which influenced me to look into Firewind.

Some time later I eventually looked them up via YouTube watching every live bootleg and music video I could find. I was sold once I found 'Breaking The Silence' and ordered a copy of Allegiance. Through company policy of Borders that states that any item special ordered that takes more than a week to arrive to the store was sold for free, I got my first Firewind cd free of charge. Woohoo!! I fell in love with music all over again and found a new guitar player to become a total whore for. :p

I am still a growing Firewind fan, but in the short amount of time I have known about them, I have collected a few cds, their Live Premonition DVD (all special edition stuff mind you, because as I said before, I'm a whore like that), and the Gus-600 signature guitar. Hell, I have recently even set that guitar up with his set of Elixir strings tuned down a whole step just to get as authentic of a feel as I can for when I am transcribing this stuff.

/gusgleghump