How Did You First Hear About Anathema?

Falconspirit

I Died A Little
Aug 30, 2002
Lebanon
'Was browsing a CD' in a CD shop, and I really liked the "The Silent Enigma's front cover picture, ""Lady In Milton's Comus" by J.Wright" it turned out to be a great album[coincidence??], so I continued to buy the rest of the albums and got into the music;), and what about the rest of you??

someone mentioned them on the maudlin of the well mailing list. when they finally got onto the UM forum, i looked at anathema's forum too. i dl'ed a few songs and thought they were ok. about a month ago i decided to dl some more songs and realized how amazing they are.

heard 'fragile dreams' on a metal mag compilation. bought 'eternity' which i found okay, then 'alt4' which did my head in. then got them all.

hearing 'Deep' in a metalprogram (which doesn't exist anymore:( ) so I decided to see them too at Graspop the next weekend :) that was 1999 I guess

my neighbour and mi bought many doom/goth stuff when i was younger. Well he bought Serenades and from that moment on we/I followed their way.

Originally posted by madgirl
so when i saw the digipack, i bought it and it quickly became my fave album of many.

I've been lucky to find the digipack 2ndhanded this year :)

Originally posted by Mariner
I've been lucky to find the digipack 2ndhanded this year :)

Cool...
i took that to the fulham gig with me and got it signed by vincent and danny,,, and got pic with vincent...

made it very special cd for me now....
especially cuz they did a lot of tracks off judgment that night too!

YAYA for awewsome bands..

I could have been imagining this, but vanessa "funny hair" wassername gave serenades some big review on Head Bangers ball so I toddled out the next week and bought it, I had to walk back from town with itcos the bastard record shop upped their vinyl price and I had to spend me bus fare :(

anyone remember Monsters of rock with mick wall?? that was rapid

I saw them when they were called Pagan Angel on Halloween one year. I drank two bottles of cider and puked up outside. All night this lad was telling me how shit they were. A few years later he told me that he shouldve joined instead of me and that him and his dad wanted to shoot me with shotguns:rolleyes:
Back then they were the hardest working band in Liverpool and one of the few that played loads of their own stuff and not just Metallica covers etc.. I bought a live tape that was dead good and the second demo was well good. I remember Jamie used to come to my house to teach me his bass lines. 11 years later I was teaching him mine:) Its a funny old game eh Greavsie

I got into Anathema from the My Dying Bride mailing list. I first got Eternity and completly fell in love with it and its just progressed from there :) Still hoping that they come to the US sometime for a proper tour, not just the metalfest :(

Originally posted by moody
heard 'fragile dreams' on a metal mag compilation. bought 'eternity' which i found okay, then 'alt4' which did my head in. then got them all.

hell exactly the same way I hear them first ! Fragile Dreams made me paralized at first place

I heard them for first time back in 1992 year i guess, the vocalist of the death metal band i was playing then, had a contact with Darren and he received the 7"EP - "they die" from him... it was great...

Originally posted by Strangelight
I saw them when they were called Pagan Angel on Halloween one year. I drank two bottles of cider and puked up outside. All night this lad was telling me how shit they were. A few years later he told me that he shouldve joined instead of me and that him and his dad wanted to shoot me with shotguns:rolleyes:
Back then they were the hardest working band in Liverpool and one of the few that played loads of their own stuff and not just Metallica covers etc.. I bought a live tape that was dead good and the second demo was well good. I remember Jamie used to come to my house to teach me his bass lines. 11 years later I was teaching him mine:) Its a funny old game eh Greavsie
thats right patto, in those days we were the second best band in liverpool to the mighty Valle Crucis who we supported that halloween. I remember when we were doing the second demo Danny and Daz came in the studio and said were changing the name to anathema. i thought, ok. Ian 'biomass' Stead did a boss logo with worms and rotting stuff sticking out. we were boss. we even had a strobe.....