How do you defend Death Metal style vocals??

Originally posted by The Wanderer
i dont bother. i gave up trying to make people understand metal. death or otherwise.

I hear ya! I used to wanna get people to understand it in my earlier days, now I don't give a shit any more.
The best thing to do in such a conversation?? Go get (for example) Kataklysm-Temple Of Knowledge. Play the 'Beckoning Of The Xul' intro at max volume while pressing your conversation partner's head to the loudspeaker... that should shut 'm up for a while! (That song has some nice vocal outbursts at the beginning, only ca. 15 secs, but it will do) :devil:

1. Metal is not "beautiful" in the normal sense of the word. Metal is "beauty in truth" music, and the fact is that much of what is true is ugly. So some of the things that people consider to be ugly (such as brutal vocals) is where Metal draws its beauty from.

2. Brutal vocals compliment the music itself. The style of Metal (especially the style of guitar play) is inherently rough and abrasive. Rough and abrasive vocals compliment rough and abrasive music. It all depends on the individual artist or song. If a Metal band wants vocals that compliment their music then they'll use brutal vocals. If the band is looking for a contrast then they'll use clear vocals. The type of vocals used contributes to the desired effect and atmosphere that a band wants in their song.

3. Metal is best heard for what it is, not how it compares to anything else. Unless it is intended to, Metal shouldn't be compared to something that is unrelated. Why the hell should, say, Shagrath be compared to Whitney Houston? Listen to the music for what it is, not how it relates to popular sounds.

Well, thats my long answer. My short answer to anyone who mocks brutal vocals is something along the lines of: "You're ignorant, go to hell."

Originally posted by Elfbane
My short answer to anyone who mocks brutal vocals is something along the lines of: "You're ignorant, go to hell."

My short answer is also something like. Something like " You're a fucking idiot and this arguement will never end, so just go to hell you moron".... or something along those lines :D

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
I think the lack of pitch in the vocals helps to not detract from the guitar melodies (there are some annoying DM singers that have an actual pitch to their growl, eg Barney from Napalm Death although he lost that on the last album, and this becomes a distraction).
Very true: Johan Liiva is a classic albeit off-key example of this. I can't believe people actually like Liiva.

No, I'm pretty sure they just think we're stupid enough to like any old audio-crap that hits us regardless if it fits what they call "music."

That and you simply cannot deny how much some of them sound like the cookie monster.

Originally posted by Penny
After unsuccessfully trying to discuss this with people, because they start the whole "Rhhaaaaaaaaa", thing, I just quit. It's not worth the frustration. They just don't get it, and will never get it.

Yeah... I agree.. they'll never see the big deal if they the dont in the first place. Im going to avoid future arguements to avoid having my head explode. :cool:

it's kinda like asking why the band chose to use this particular note along with that other one. it's part of the music, and most times it fits the other parts well. i must admit i had a hard time in the beginning, but i've grown accustomed to extreme vocals and now i LOVE them. what helped me to get used to the growling was focusing on the instrumental parts instead of on the vocals. after a while you feel it's an integral part of the music. that's what i tell those who complain.

i must admit i had a hard time in the beginning, but i've grown accustomed to extreme vocals and now i LOVE them. what helped me to get used to the growling was focusing on the instrumental parts instead of on the vocals. after a while you feel it's an integral part of the music.

I also didn't like extreme vocals when I first listened to Metal. But now, I can hardly imagine some of the greatest songs without them. I think that brutal vocals chase some people away from Metal. Like this one time I let my friend listen to In Flames Jester Race (which doesn't even have really extreme vocals) and he said that he would buy it if it was instrumental only. At least he recognized the quality of the music, but he just couldn't get over the style of vocals.

People who put down the vocals of death metal are stupid. I mean, I don't like that and I don't listen to it but I am not gonna go tell every people who like that, that it sucks.

BTW, I only like growl in band like Within Temptation(first album) and after forever, the mix with a clean voice is really good.

that was my two cents

Originally posted by Lancelot
I prefer gutural vocals!:( :(

Me too - violent vox rules.
But then again I prefer Chuck Schuldiner -like vox (not as "guttural") to the Corpsegrinder -like vox... I like the 'edge'

..but hey - both satisfy me greatly! :Smokedev:

Originally posted by MindMorgue
Just attack the music they like, call it girlie and question their sexuality for listening to it, childish, but fun. :D

MindMorgue.

That would only work unless it's a guy, and they listen to boy band stuff. And I try not to make coversation about music with guys whose musical taste revolves around boy bands! :puke:
:lol:

Its not worth arguing with people who just don't understand metal music. I usually, shrug my shoulders, smile and say "metal music is an acquired taste you wouldn't understand so I won't waste my time"

Best way to do it...is ignore & walk away.

maybe you can defend death metal vocals by telling people that it is not easy to sing like alexi from children of bodom or peter from hypocrisy AND playing guitar simultaneously. it really needs much of concentration and training to do so!
grtz, Chriss