How expensive is living (and buying cds) in your country?

Dora

Apr 20, 2003
USA
Well this will require a little math knowledge :)
What I wanna know is how much percentage a new cd takes of your salary or an average net salary in your country. And how much money can ppl usually save.
So how many cds you could buy if you wanted.

in Hungary, a high-school teacher gets like 100.000 huf, and spends haha, some more. 20.000 for electricity and stuff, at least 50.000 for a rent, 40.000 for food, 5000 travel, 1500 for toothpaste, 1000 for toilet paper, so some 10-15000 for household stuff, and after all have appr -30.000 dept - while not buying a flower, mug, cigarettes, cinematicket, computer parts, medicaments, not feeding or raising children, not having a car... A new CD costs 5000 (5% of net salary, 20euros)..

in Swiss, educated ppl get 6-8.000 CHF, spend 2000 on appartment, 1-2000 on car and garage, 2000 on food, 500 for house stuff, 1000-2000 on various insurances and bills.. So its likely to save up some hundreds. A cd costs 30.. /20E/ which is below 0.5% of your money. (But it still possible to have depts if you buy too many shoes like)

Here in Belgium it's pretty okay. But my situation is fucked. For the last 2 and a half years I have rarely bought any cd's because 95% of my weekly money goes to train tickets to my girlfriend which I don't see very often. Let me tell you, that's FUCKED.
I used to buy 50 cd's per year but now I can only buy a few :( (yeah and in this case I am FORCED to download some of the music I really really enjoy. For example I couldn't buy the last Katatonia, 2 last Opeth albums etc)

My salary is also under zero nowadays ..but still I know the average.. so how is it in France? ;)

Well, boy, there are some significant differences in European countries ... so this answer is wrong. Sorry. But if you never lived on your own and that, you probably dont know, I just thought you might know how much your parents or friends can save up. Never mind! ;)

ive been living on my own, and i know how much everything costs and that, but you can see differences from one shop to another in the same street, not to say from one town to another, or from one country to another. however, within the limits of what we call 'EUROPE', the range of variation is not that wide. workers across europe earn more or less the same salary, cds cost more or less the same and there you go. swiss is a bit different cause everything is a bit higher there, costs and salaries, but like if you compared france, belgium, uk, germany and spain, there isnt THAT much difference.

i don't wanna comment the situation in bulgaria - it is really sad :(

-Mehdi-
I think you are wrong. Did you live in other countries?? Do you consider the Polish being in Europe like? Why dont you give examples or an answer? So how much does a rental home cost in Greece? Whats an average salary in Spain? Are food cheap in Finland?.. tell me :)

Ivo said:
i don't wanna comment the situation in bulgaria - it is really sad :(
please..
like how many cds an average teacher or doctor or plumber can('t) buy?

Dora said:
please..
like how many cds an average teacher or doctor or plumber can('t) buy?
i guess, you're supposed to know the situation in eastern europe, i mean you're from Hungary, which is little bit better than us, anyways i think that 1 cd for a month is affordable for a person with average salary... but it depends...

A new cd is about 150 DKR, minimum wage is about 80 per hour, doesn't take much skill to get 120-150, average tax is arround 47 %, Denmark is one of the most expensive countries in Europe for living costs. You do the math, I'm not complaining though.

so in DK a cd is 2hours of work, in Hungary 1.5-2 days, in Switzerland 45 mins.. I cant see the similarities yet :)

I just don't get you guys, why the fuck can't you just tell us how many cd's you could buy from the average salary in your country???

And yeah, cd's cost the same, plane tickets cost the same, pc's cost the same, but salaries are fucking different across Europe.

*stops fucking complaining :D*

the minimum salary a worker earns here is about 900-1000€. then a cd costs between 10 and 30€, depends where you buy it. your rent goes from 100€ to 1.000.000€ a month depends on where you live.

but then again, i think the average french, german, dutch, belgian, english, irish, danish, finish, or whateverish worker in western europe is more or less the same. you dont see people going to another country to buy cds in western europe do you? you do get slight differences between the countries of EU but its not that different, thats what the european common economical politics is for i guess. just like its more or less the same situation in eastern europe countries.

i dunno, it seems like youre expecting to find out super extraordinary differences from a country to another :confused:

I forgot to mention they lowered the tax on hard liquor last week, cutting the prices 45 %!!!!!!!!! No shit.

Hope no Swedes are hearing this.

I didnt want to hear anything extra but the truth.. but its still a great surprise, Mehdi, that your such a pro in Eastern Europe as well.. But no. Its not the same. Fuckin bloody different. And people do cross borders for stuff. For food and gas, not cds, cos noone can spend that much.

As I see (well.. these are minor differences if we dont speak about cds, you know. 100E is not a big deal when comparing countries but it is if we talk about 5 pieces of cds..).. so I think e.g. French are poorer than German. Or e.g. Wien is one of the most appriciated and liveable cities with high salaries and safety..

And your example was not OK for here.. cos the reason why ppl dont cross borders for a cd is that cds are cheap little things most ppl dont care about at all. Even if they cost double, its not worth to spend the gas for the travel.

arent cds the topic of that thread tho?

anyway, if you go nit picking about every single euro, the situation is different from a town to another within the same country. in paris some districts are like third world and some other are among the most expensive places you could live in.

i dunno, im a bit confused about that thread, either way you look at it it cant work.

confusion.gif