How important is production to an album

SADUDE said:
I play bass. It isn't heard because mainly due to egotistical guitarists. Sometimes the guitar eats into the frequency by detuning and they battle it out for the mix. The bass usually loses. And in the rare cases that is is heard people call them gods. Steve Digiorgio, Alex Webster, The cryptopsy guy. They all get their credit mostly because they are more audible than most bass players in a mix. There is so much that could be done but isn't. This really pisses me off. But I'll stop here.

Agree 100%. Most bands still think that bass and drums are the "rhythm" section and that's it.

I agree too. =) I find everything about the bassguitar so much cooler, more powerful, and more interesting than the guitar. They deserve more attention!

Bassguitar = teh win

SunlapseVertigo said:
The exact opposite of what you are saying. Opeth albums past still life are perfectly produced, especially BWP. Anything before kinda sucked IMO.

NOTHING beats the drum or guitar sound of MAYH. So BAH.

I like Mudvayne a lot too. Im sure it is due to them having the best bassist in heavy music, the Atheist guy is pretty damn good though.
I liked L.D 50 a lot more than the End Of all things to come. The record seems to be true to its title for the most part. The death of the greatness that could've been. THey called it melodic exploration. I thought the bass had enough melody in L.D. 50 The guitarist needs to stop now, let Ryan do what he did on L.d.50. Mudvayne seems desperate for commercial success now, that the nu-metal scene is near extinction. Maybe they want to make a quick before it is over. WHy else would they release World so Cold as a single? Its not a bad track but there it isn't a good representation of the band's sound.

Yeah, as much as I respect and admire mudvayne and their music, they're still on Sony, so regardless of their own intention they're still going to be pressurized into appeasing commerciality. And i HATE the way they cut the songs down for the videos; World So Cold
(which is an excellent song, although as you said, not a fitting single/video) is only about 5 and a half minutes long, but they chopped bits out of it anyway. fucking idiots.

I don't think, however, that the actual music they wrote on End Of All Things To Come is indicative of a more commercial-minded direction. It's a genuine record with a mature feel. I don't think nu-metal is dead enough yet for mudvayne to have thought they needed to move away
from L.D.50's aggression to remain commercially viable, and in any case, they are a very creative and visionary band who are passionate about their music; it wouldn't have been characteristic of them to write L.D. 50 #2 so they're exploring a more sedate atmosphere artistically, not commercially. The guys are just too talented and too concerned about their music to sell out their vision.