How many In Flames albums do you own?

You should think not only about promotion, but country laws, media contact, taxes, money collect, contract types, many of whom let the bands have money enough to start their tours, and a long etc that makes the life easier for the musicians. This is why, in the era of internet, bands still sign with the labels, and this is why the support from those labes is so necessary to survive. I won't talk about the contract types nor I will talk about the payments but, believe me, bands make much more money from the labels and the record sales than people thinks.

This might be true (otherwise all the newer bands would be labelless), but labels have no power over bands who have already established themselves. It's not like in the old days where you had to sign a contract to release a new album every 2 years and then a greatest hit after every X album, and you have to be at this mtv show, and you have to lick our ass here and here. Piracy and the widespread of internet hurt record sales a lot.
The reason I brought up Eastearn European salaries was not to make an excuse that we have 0 money to spend on things like this, just to show you we have much less. To give you an example, you might not be an avid video game player, but you must've heard things about them and how they are released. It's not unusual at all that games not only come with a native language pack for your country. Now, we (Hungary) used to get those, but due to the poor sales, we don't get shit now. It's simply not worth investing in a team of translators, we are a shitty country to expect huge sales from.
At the end of the day, I decide where to put my money, but you really shouldn't try to guilt trip me because you are convinced I'm throwing my money at IF in a wrong way, because I should buy up their discography instead enjoying myself at their shows.

Here's an article about nin signing with a major label for their record after they went independent and giving major labels all the shittalk. : http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2013/08/trent-reznor-on-returning-to-a-major-label-with-nin.html interesting level: 5.5/10, but at least it's short.

I'm a gamer.
No. Bands do have power but still need the money from the records sales, this is why they don't like piracy.

When I download something ilegally I'm fully aware of what I'm doing and I make no Excuses.
Finally, try to think of the costs a tour gives to a band like IF and you'll realize that they don't do that much money. In the end the record sales/tour profits ratio must be near 50% 50%, with another point pro album sales, that they will still give money the day the band will stop touring (ask Jimmy Page).

That's why a lot of artists really don't care about people downloading their albums through torrents. Even the more successful metal bands will get practically nothing from album sales because the label takes most of the money anyway.

What he doesn't say is how many money they make thorugh the contracts with the labels.

Ok. I've seen the band wiki page. Aparently, they signed with Roadrunner, 7 albums for $500,000. Or they didn't know how to negotiate or they didn't think they would have the success they had. It is as simple as doing a contract where they win $500,000 for seven albums until the company gets back the money invested and, from then, they could have a percentage of every album sold.