How many of you DONT drive?

Do you have a car?

• I have a car

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • I dont have a car

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
my point is, that in the US most people under the age of 21 are pretty useless for society (I am one of them too), especially the people at my school who drive a fucking van to school by themselves. The son of the math teacher i had 2 years ago drives a fucking mini bus to school by himself, a vehicle that can hold 12 passengers, that is ridiculous. Until we have electric cars I still believe teenagers should not drive. The money people spend on gas could be put for a good public transportation system. IMHO, there is a fine line between need and want, teenagers do not need cars.

Oh Tyler, having a job more than 25 miles away is generally a shitty idea, even if you would have a hybrid.

my point is, that in the US most people under the age of 21 are pretty useless for society (I am one of them too), especially the people at my school who drive a fucking van to school by themselves. The son of the math teacher i had 2 years ago drives a fucking mini bus to school by himself, a vehicle that can hold 12 passengers, that is ridiculous. Until we have electric cars I still believe teenagers should not drive. The money people spend on gas could be put for a good public transportation system. IMHO, there is a fine line between need and want, teenagers do not need cars.

Oh Tyler, having a job more than 25 miles away is generally a shitty idea, even if you would have a hybrid.

I don't think worrying about the amount of fuel consumed by teenagers' cars is as crucial as the fact that the majority of teenagers can't drive for shit, with their invincible mentality and their disregard for other drivers.

my point is, that in the US most people under the age of 21 are pretty useless for society (I am one of them too)

Then how about fixing that instead of changing the way people get around? This 'quick fix' isn't going to fix as many problems as it creates - it'll just arbitrarily inconvenience people not based on usefulness but on age. Can you say arbitrary profiling? That's all it is - it's illegal and immoral to profile based on race, religion, and other things like that, why is profiling based on your assumption of the usefulness of people any better?

especially the people at my school who drive a fucking van to school by themselves. The son of the math teacher i had 2 years ago drives a fucking mini bus to school by himself, a vehicle that can hold 12 passengers, that is ridiculous.

Well, then, he's a dipshit and he should be beaten with a stick. Still not something that needs government regulation.

Until we have electric cars I still believe teenagers should not drive. The money people spend on gas could be put for a good public transportation system. IMHO, there is a fine line between need and want, teenagers do not need cars.

So you're in a perfect position to decide who gets cars and who doesn't? Whether or not the teenagers need them, also keep in mind that between school and jobs that they should get to not be useless their parents will have tons of driving to do - the same parents who contribute to society by working. You're increasing the amount of uselessness, because more driving requires less time doing anything else, and only shifting the burden and the amount spent on gas. You're missing the point entirely.

What's more, you really need to try being eighteen and useful before you decide how to fix society.

That's not always something that can be avoided. Want to come down to San Antonio, with some of the best housing prices in the fucking country, and try living near UTSA or the major workplaces? I can't afford to live less than 20 miles from my school. A fifteen-minute drive from USAA, one of the biggest employers in this region, will run you into the $200k area if you're lucky and you have low standards. In an ideal society, we wouldn't deal with this, but again your lack of experience in actually knowing how this shit works betrays you - it's fucking expensive to live sometimes.

Jeff

Yeah people have to go where the jobs are, and they cant always live there. Paul, do you even have a job? Because if you don't then you really don't know what you are talking about.

How much of GDP is produced by teenagers?
less than 1%. Economically, they are useless, who just consume more than they really need. In order to consume, people should earn it. My parents don't drive me around. And so do many parents of kids who don't have cars. We just take the fucking bus, granted seattle has one of the best public transportation systems in the county. Ask yourselves, how many teenagers drive in Europe? not nearly as many as they do here. You Americans, take the commodity of driving for granted, and it really isn't for granted. I personally do a one hour commute to school each way. It is really not that bad. If i go to a show at studio seven my commute is equally long. Fact of life, I haven't suffered a tiny bit from not driving. Again, stop spending money on gasoline and get public transportation together. Public transportation consumes less oil, pollutes less, and eases trafic.

And no, there is nothing wrong with teenagers being useless socially and economically. That is how it is supposed to be. While under 21 people should learn and gain experiences, not work, at the same time, they shouldn't drive and have all those privileges until they actually do something.

yes, Jeff, I (the government, if i were the government) am in the perfect position to decide who gets to drive and who doesn't, because that is why you have government to decide shit. For all of America, shoving dollars up dirty Arab ass isn't the best thing. Even worse, being dependent on them is a shitty idea. Not letting teenagers drive will decrease oil consumption with minimal damage to the economy. In fact, lower oil prices will help the economy and will slow down the rising inflation.

How much of GDP is produced by teenagers?
less than 1%. Economically, they are useless, who just consume more than they really need. In order to consume, people should earn it. My parents don't drive me around. And so do many parents of kids who don't have cars. We just take the fucking bus, granted seattle has one of the best public transportation systems in the county. Ask yourselves, how many teenagers drive in Europe? not nearly as many as they do here. You Americans, take the commodity of driving for granted, and it really isn't for granted. I personally do a one hour commute to school each way. It is really not that bad. If i go to a show at studio seven my commute is equally long. Fact of life, I haven't suffered a tiny bit from not driving. Again, stop spending money on gasoline and get public transportation together. Public transportation consumes less oil, pollutes less, and eases trafic.

But what else are 21-year-olds doing? I don't know, getting educated? That's very valuable when viewed as an investment. Try doing that math and say that spending all your time on education is being useless.

Not everyone has public transportation available, and just about anyone who studies and works at the same time (that'll be a lot of us) has trouble working around the bus' schedule. Working for you doesn't imply working for everyone - didn't you just say you were useless? I'm hauling my ass around between school and tutoring (closest thing I have to a job) and I can't do that with the bus' schedule - not only am I literally across town very often, the buses don't run 24/7 here.

And no, there is nothing wrong with teenagers being useless socially and economically. That is how it is supposed to be. While under 21 people should learn and gain experiences, not work, at the same time, they shouldn't drive and have all those privileges until they actually do something. [/quote]

There's a difference between not earning anything and being useless. Look at how much more someone with a bachelor's degree makes than someone without one.

flying_whale said:
yes, Jeff, I (the government, if i were the government) am in the perfect position to decide who gets to drive and who doesn't, because that is why you have government to decide shit. For all of America, shoving dollars up dirty Arab ass isn't the best thing. Even worse, being dependent on them is a shitty idea. Not letting teenagers drive will decrease oil consumption with minimal damage to the economy. In fact, lower oil prices will help the economy and will slow down the rising inflation.

You're mixing up the problem of Arab oil with the problem of NEEDLESS INTERFERENCE WITH EVERYONE'S LIVES - if that's your goal, mandate a switch to different fuel systems. This is like trying to lose weight by cutting your hair off - you're forgetting that teenagers still need to be driven around, and that they don't demand nearly as much gas as adults. This is a backasswards solution at best. 'Minimal damage to the economy' is a fucking laugh - as I said earlier, education is very important to the economy, and damaging it ruins the economy. Directly mandating new fuel systems will be much more effective and even less damaging to the economy.

At this point you've failed not only at having a decent argument but putting it across right; whether you really believe this stuff or not the best thing you can do for your cause is stop trying to defend it. You're making any valid point you may have look horribly stupid, so shutting up is going to be more effective at changing people's minds than trying to argue. You're inexperienced and you've clearly never been in a situation where your ideas would have much of an effect on you, and your posts show it very clearly, so the most noble thing to do for your cause is stop making it look so bad
by associating yourself with it.

Jeff

I was lucky to have the high school and the middle school literally right across the street so im not in a big hurry to get my license, but i gotta get a job some time here. to bad we have half of the jobs in town filled with high school kids, small town + high population of teens that can work = me broke.

Yeah all my schools in walking distance but I needed to drive to go to work. Fuck Houston public transportation, if Flying Whale lived here he wouldn't take it. And it's only gotten worse with the recent wave of dumb New Orleans my pals. Loudest, most obnoxious people on earth.

He needs to live in a small town where the college and GOOD jobs are at least 5 miles away, and have hours the pubtrans won't agree with.

He needs to live in a small town where the college and GOOD jobs are at least 5 miles away, and have hours the pubtrans won't agree with.

QFT

I live a couple of miles outside the city, so the only buses that come through here are school buses. Not good for a teenager that has a job.

And, why the fuck shouldn't teenagers work? Paul, you've clearly never held a job in your life, or you'd know that one thing employers immediately want to know is whether or not you've had EXPERIENCE. Without prior experience, your chances of landing any kind of a job better than fast food are pretty slim.