How Much You Bench?

the thing that bugs me a little is seeing absolutely every French athlete burst out in tears right after the competition, never mind if victory or defeat. You didn't see that until recently. I mean it's probably ok to let out emotions especially after a taxing performance, but the ubiquity of these reactions these days does make one pause...

again, i havent watched one event, so whatever, but it's impossible to escape the news of the gymnast quitting because of the pressure. isnt this what youve trained for?

in the end, i dont really care. it just struck me as odd

Imagine someone like Tom Brady, or some famous soccer player getting to the championship, and saying "I'm not completely right in my mind. Im gonna concentrate on my mental health. good luck guys!"

Think they would get all these people praising their actions?

again, it just seems odd.

Yea and talking heads are trying to make her quitting seem like an act of Bravery. Ofcourse if she wasnt a gibbon, im sure she would be lambasted as weak af for letting her country down. (Well unless she was a purple haired dyke, then they'd go with the same narrative as the gibbon in question.) I used to enjoy the Olympics, but havent tuned into one event.

Cryin Gympamzees, Tranny Weight Lifters, Kneeling Sprinters. Fuck out of here with this clown shit.
Imagine someone like Tom Brady, or some famous soccer player getting to the championship, and saying "I'm not completely right in my mind. Im gonna concentrate on my mental health. good luck guys!"

Bint cited the pressure of Twitter taking her out of her proper headspace. Uhh how about putting the phone down and focusing on the one event you put 4yrs of your life towards?

Reactions: dorian gray
maybe Im old fashioned but that's what the olympics are for, yes? remember when athletes used to drape themselves in the flag of their country, instead of turning away from it during the anthem?

if they are doing it for endor$ements, gtfo

I'm highly skeptical any of these athletes ever were/are really doing it for their country. They are doing it because it is the absolute pinnacle of competition within whatever sport they have been training and dedicating their entire lives to. They are doing it for their own personal glory and their country is an afterthought for most I would bet. There is nothing wrong with that either. Let's be real; we aren't talking about war here.

Reactions: MFJ

I don't think there's any comparison. Gymnastics is absolutely fucking insane. Watching the old school days when they used to do back-to-back tumbling passes really highlights that. When a gymnast says they're not completely right in their mind, they mean it's putting their muscle memory off and if they keep going they're risking their life because they're gonna land on their head. As described here:
https://www.upworthy.com/former-gym...isties-that-prompted-simone-biles-to-withdraw

The first woman mentions a diving trick she just can't master because it's too disorientating and puts her off her other tricks, even without any mental health issues.

She's been training for this for 4 f'n years and at the precise moment it was time to shine, she got cold feet. Like RiA said, she couldnt handle the pressure.

Im not sure if you remember Kerry Strug, but that was an epic defining moment in mental AND physical toughness.

Reactions: Reign in Acai
Cold mind, maybe. I'd agree she shouldn't have been thinking about Twitter at all, but the brain is a hard thing to control. Plus she has ADHD. Probably a lesson for some athletes to completely disconnect their social media weeks in advance. Maybe it'd take the right coach/person to come along and get her back into the right headspace. As easy as getting a depressed person to just "cheer up".

Don’t give two fucks what some 4’ tall amateur athlete does or doesn’t do……but crapping out at the pinnacle of your game is lame as hell. In real sports you get traded for that. Or fired.
And this “mental health” bullshit is getting old.

no one said she's gotta. we are just saying she's a lame, especially after all the ballyhooed media attention she gets in the US as omg best ever gymnast!

its that simple

Yeah, no ones saying she has to. But you would not believe the endless media blitz over this chick. She’s been paid millions to shill for various companies.