how to get jeff loomis tone? HELP

nunofrg

Dec 23, 2009
hey guys

i was watching this video of him [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvfg0iLnzsw&feature=related[/ame] and i noticed how clear the high notes are, but still using the bridge pickup! i was thinking how can i have this clear sound like he has? (even though i dont have his fingers and ill never sound as good as him or my equipment is exactly as his, i know that, i just want to have the closest sound that is possible).
what should be the amp. equalization? i mean all: presence, resonance, bass treble middle, gain and reverb.

thats about it! thanks!!

Plug the jack into your ass, stretch your nutsack up and over the strings and then strum furiously with a cheesegrater. That's how he does it, no joke.

Plug the jack into your ass, stretch your nutsack up and over the strings and then strum furiously with a cheesegrater. That's how he does it, no joke.

i could go low and start insulting you like you did but i wont do that... if you dont want to comment or give a damn about my question just fucking leave.

Well, as far as clarity in general, it helps to have active pickups. IIRC Loomis is using 707's, which compared to the 81-7 has the lower mids boosted and top end/treble rolled off. However, his guitar wood is ash/maple, so if you're using a mahogany-wooded guitar or something, you'd probably be best off with 81-7's to balance out the natural darkness of mahog vs ash or maple. Alder is balanced and slightly bright, with which I'd probably go with 707's.

Either way, some kind of active pickups will do you good. Passives aren't going to grant you the same kind of clarity, especially when it comes to the low B string.

As far as presence and resonance, I don't really know, just toy with those... I generally default with both of those at around 1 or 2 o'clock. It can never hurt starting off around 12 and adjusting from there.

Bass - adjust this to taste and room size. Just make sure you don't blow the windows out of whatever room you're in. Low mids definitely boost. Mids Bring to at least 12 o'clock. Any lower on the amp and you generally don't cut through the mix very well. Adjust higher if necessary. Upper mids can use a boost too, but probably not as much as low mids. Treble roll off a bit as to smooth out the highs, but leave enough that you still have a responsive tone. Generally at least 1 o'clock or so.

If you don't have a good EQ pedal, you need one. Otherwise all you usually have is a 3-band bass/mids/treb on the amp, and that doesn't do you a lot of good for specific tone-shaping. MXR 10-band or Boss GE-7 are always good recommended ones. What amp/speakers are you running through? Guitar? Pickups?

this is not an off-topic guitarists forum...which is why there is a guitarplayers thread. and using his settings wont do shit unless you have his equipment. 5 bass 7 mids and 9 treble could be great on one amp and shitty on another...and those are arbitrary numbers. not to be mistaken for his actual settings

isnt this an off-topic guitarrist thread forum? so stfu and like to "undefined", if you dont want to comment leave.

what has there about this? cuz i found nothing..

The dumb is strong in this one

this is not an off-topic guitarists forum...which is why there is a guitarplayers thread. and using his settings wont do shit unless you have his equipment. 5 bass 7 mids and 9 treble could be great on one amp and shitty on another...and those are arbitrary numbers. not to be mistaken for his actual settings

This!

This is from 2005, so TGE isn't mentioned yet. It should help and golly gee, it's on the Nevermore forum too, tool.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/nevermore/182524-official-nevermore-gear-thread.html

*sigh*

UM used to be good forums. Guess not anymore.

Edit:
Also, Steve Smyth has his own forum where you can ask him. He has no fans so when he gets that new thread notification he's going to jump all over it like he knows what he's talking about. my pals.

Well, as far as clarity in general, it helps to have active pickups. IIRC Loomis is using 707's, which compared to the 81-7 has the lower mids boosted and top end/treble rolled off. However, his guitar wood is ash/maple, so if you're using a mahogany-wooded guitar or something, you'd probably be best off with 81-7's to balance out the natural darkness of mahog vs ash or maple. Alder is balanced and slightly bright, with which I'd probably go with 707's.

Either way, some kind of active pickups will do you good. Passives aren't going to grant you the same kind of clarity, especially when it comes to the low B string.

As far as presence and resonance, I don't really know, just toy with those... I generally default with both of those at around 1 or 2 o'clock. It can never hurt starting off around 12 and adjusting from there.

Bass - adjust this to taste and room size. Just make sure you don't blow the windows out of whatever room you're in. Low mids definitely boost. Mids Bring to at least 12 o'clock. Any lower on the amp and you generally don't cut through the mix very well. Adjust higher if necessary. Upper mids can use a boost too, but probably not as much as low mids. Treble roll off a bit as to smooth out the highs, but leave enough that you still have a responsive tone. Generally at least 1 o'clock or so.

If you don't have a good EQ pedal, you need one. Otherwise all you usually have is a 3-band bass/mids/treb on the amp, and that doesn't do you a lot of good for specific tone-shaping. MXR 10-band or Boss GE-7 are always good recommended ones. What amp/speakers are you running through? Guitar? Pickups?

thank you for your help!
i use a peavey 6505 112 combo and i have one guitar with emg alx on an edwards al128 and the other is a dean vmnt with dave mustaine livewires

This is from 2005, so TGE isn't mentioned yet. It should help and golly gee, it's on the Nevermore forum too, tool.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/nevermore/182524-official-nevermore-gear-thread.html

*sigh*

UM used to be good forums. Guess not anymore.

Edit:
Also, Steve Smyth has his own forum where you can ask him. He has no fans so when he gets that new thread notification he's going to jump all over it like he knows what he's talking about. my pals.

thanks!

How did I insult you? If you don't like the answers, don't ask the question. :Smug:

"Plug the jack into your ass, stretch your nutsack up and over the strings and then strum furiously with a cheesegrater" try telling this to your mother and see if she felt this somehow respectful.

wtf? that doesnt even make sense.
im expecting to receive normal answers like some i did receive unlike your insulting one. i wont stop asking things just because theres a risk to have a looser that might answer it in a low way.

A looser: someone whose sole role in life is to soften cucumber jar lids so that other people can have an easier time opening them.