How was Mr. V picked?

ErikSL

groove junkie
Feb 11, 2006
I was always curious how Borknagar decided on Mr V. to be the latest vocalist. Did they get really drunk and listen to all his Vintersorg albums? Or did they just know him somehow? Or maybe Oystein put up flyers in the neighboring countries saying Norwegian band lost singer, needs a new one. :loco: So seriously does anyone know the true story behind this?

I don't know the story but, it was a good choice nonetheless. WIkipedia makes mention of what I would have assumed anyways, that they knew eachother beforehand:

Following the departure of ICS Vortex as vocalist, Borknagar was in need of a new singer. Having been friends for some time, Øystein G. Brun asked Andreas to take the reins for their forthcoming album, Empiricism. Andreas joined the band in 2001, and is still their vocalist to this day, having now recorded three full-lengths on Century Media Records, and playing live on many occasions.

Although that last part might be untrue :p

I might be wrong about this but I remember reading

Mr.V was writing Oystein some letters about how he was a Borky fan and they hung out one day with no intention of Mr.V joining but then it happened.

I hope Mr.V was wearing the ring, otherwise that would have been a huge disappointment.
But yeah, Oystein and Andreas have always known each other, I mean weren't they planning works for Cronian before Andreas even joined Borknagar?

I might be wrong about this but I remember reading

Mr.V was writing Oystein some letters about how he was a Borky fan and they hung out one day with no intention of Mr.V joining but then it happened.

If that was true, I'd be bloody envious. I doubt Borknagar would ever let me sing with them ;_;

Interesting! I'm looking forward to hearing you. I'm worried about vocals, I guess I'll see if I'm decent enough next month.

What type of music will Caitlin be singing over?

I'm a bit unsure right now. I have a few songs written out that I simply composed on my keyboards and guitar, but I suck pretty hard so I'm getting a bit of extra help on that from friends who know what they're doing. I hate trying to pin point a genre at early stages because high chances are it'll end up being something I didn't really intend to do (a sign of a shitty musician right?). I'm just aiming for the whole post-black metal, Progressive kind of sound, I guess everyone is doing it these days, but it's just a style I prefer.

My main problem is that my vocal influences are those like Andreas, Simen and Lars, it's hard for any man to hit their vocal ranges so never mind a stupid girl like myself. I just hope in all this work I can find something unique too. I don't want to sound like Simone, Tarja or Cristina, they're boring.

I'm a bit unsure right now. I have a few songs written out that I simply composed on my keyboards and guitar, but I suck pretty hard so I'm getting a bit of extra help on that from friends who know what they're doing. I hate trying to pin point a genre at early stages because high chances are it'll end up being something I didn't really intend to do (a sign of a shitty musician right?). I'm just aiming for the whole post-black metal, Progressive kind of sound, I guess everyone is doing it these days, but it's just a style I prefer.

My main problem is that my vocal influences are those like Andreas, Simen and Lars, it's hard for any man to hit their vocal ranges so never mind a stupid girl like myself. I just hope in all this work I can find something unique too. I don't want to sound like Simone, Tarja or Cristina, they're boring.

Post-black, that's so you! :oops: I hear you about the influences...I'm stuck sounding like a damn Mikael Akerfeldt clone for both clean and harsh vocals due to my deep voice and years of weed smoking.

Post-black, that's so you! :oops: I hear you about the influences...I'm stuck sounding like a damn Mikael Akerfeldt clone for both clean and harsh vocals due to my deep voice and years of weed smoking.

Mikael isn't a bad vocalist, and it's probably one of his more positive aspects, so I'd be pretty pleased if I had a voice like him.

My only problem with aiming for a more complicated genre is that I don't have much experience with music, so I'm just worried I'm jumping in too deep. I wanted to start off playing something a bit more "simple", as I was going to play Bass for some local Thrash Band, but I think they'd given up that idea and I don't really have a good relationship with our lead guitarist. :lol:

I need to invest in some drums, drummers seem to be the most rarest people on the earth.

^Be careful in your drum production, I've learned the hard way how having real drums in projects can really make your music sound bad.(Drum programming needed for me)
I really don't know who I sound like in black metal vocals.

Isjungfrun, need free drum samples? Head over to the Andy Sneap forum. Go to the "Drum Samples META" thread or in case the links are dead, one user uploaded everything on that thread to FTP:

http://sneapforum.kazrog.com/
Username: sneapforum
Password: sn3apf0rum

And...get yourself a program like Battery or Drumagog to sequence (however you want to :heh:)

Borknagar was somewhat blasphemous until Vintersorg joined.

"Upon the ruins of the future, I climbed to behold that the future will fail upon the hands that fold."

And the stuff from Vintersorg I heard wasn't as good as the Garm and Vortex albums, they seem like it'd take a few listens to get into, clearly the stuff from Empiricism being the best I heard from the Vintersorg stuff.