How was Mr. V picked?

In my books, Vintersorg's prog-weirdness albums smoke both Garm-era and Vortex-era Arcturus and Borknagar, but a few songs on The Sham Mirrors and La Masquerade Infernale are pure bliss. Sometimes it feels like Arcturus carried away with the out-there stuff, and weren't writing terribly cohesive songs. The biggest asset in Arcturus was Steinar Sverd Johnsen, imo. LISTEN TO THAT GODDAMN SOLO IN RADICAL CUT

In my books, Vintersorg's prog-weirdness albums smoke both Garm-era and Vortex-era Arcturus and Borknagar, but a few songs on The Sham Mirrors and La Masquerade Infernale are pure bliss. Sometimes it feels like Arcturus carried away with the out-there stuff, and weren't writing terribly cohesive songs. The biggest asset in Arcturus was Steinar Sverd Johnsen, imo. LISTEN TO THAT GODDAMN SOLO IN RADICAL CUT

Maybe Sverd could shine more than the others cause he was the composer of all songs (the music, not lyrics), doesn't?

The Borknagar progression was a little obvious since TAC. With Vintersorg was obvious that the album - Empiricism - could had more 'avantgarde' stuff, but that's the way the band had progressed on time, and another great factor is the Lars work. On Q he was a litlle shy with his keys, but here, the keys sometimes are on the front on the mix, plus, he started to do backing vocals and write lyrics. More than that, since Empiricism, all guys are very involved on the songwriting, like never before... maybe that's the main factor.

Empiricism is great for me, so great as s/t and TOD.

Why is The Archaic Course never mentioned(or not mentioned much) in Borknagar's top albums? I'll probably get me it soon, just when the time is right. :p
Also I need to give the post-Aspiera Hymns Symphonia Arcturus another chance, I guess the all cleans vocals and inaccessibility bothered me.

taken from Metal-rules.com interview to Öystein:

How did the two of you meet and end up working together?

It goes back several years, I think. He wrote me and said he was fan of the band and stuff and we just had contact via mail. Sometimes he would call me or send me some CDs, but he was a fan of the band already. It was quite a coincidence that he came to visit me just a few weeks after our previous vocalist, Simen [Hestnaes, former vocalist/bassist; now ICS Vortex in Dimmu Borgir], had quit the band. Vintersorg had no intention to join the band but we drank a beer together and kind of listened to music and stuff. We same to the point where we have the same ideas and decided that we had to work together.

He wasn't shy with the keys on Quintessence. They were just further back in the production, so that the guitars were the prominent instrument, as they should be.

applause.gif

That clap reminds me of when people are at Revivals and/or Church and people in the congregation will shout out "Praise The Lord" and everybody starts clapping.

You think I'm bitching now, wait until the next album comes out.

Unless V goes back to the old vocal style fanboys want new Borky singer! Like Sindre Nedland!

He wasn't shy with the keys on Quintessence. They were just further back in the production, so that the guitars were the prominent instrument, as they should be.

Maybe you're right but the new prominence of the keys changed a lot the things on the Bork sound.

The only thing that I don't like from the new bork, is the less-agressive vibe. I dunno, with Garm, Borknagar sounds menacing, raw, even blasphemous, etx. With simen still sound very agressive - at least on Q Simen sounds like a demon, but from Empiricism, Borknagar sounds too beautiful, with no agression. Even the Andreas 'grim' vocals aren't so menacing and the blastbeats and double basses aren't so powerful and brutal as the Grim' past drumwork. S/T, TOD and TAC were brutal on drums. Q was brutal too and maybe it was casue Asgeir played less complex drum pattens and sometimes faster than the lastest Bork releases. I miss the brutality that Borknagar once had.

Maybe you're right but the new prominence of the keys changed a lot the things on the Bork sound.

The only thing that I don't like from the new bork, is the less-agressive vibe. I dunno, with Garm, Borknagar sounds menacing, raw, even blasphemous, etx. With simen still sound very agressive - at least on Q Simen sounds like a demon, but from Empiricism, Borknagar sounds too beautiful, with no agression. Even the Andreas 'grim' vocals aren't so menacing and the blastbeats and double basses aren't so powerful and brutal as the Grim' past drumwork. S/T, TOD and TAC were brutal on drums. Q was brutal too and maybe it was casue Asgeir played less complex drum pattens and sometimes faster than the lastest Bork releases. I miss the brutality that Borknagar once had.

Exactly. I think part of this problem lies in the production, as Zep mentioned earlier the guitars need to be more prominent in the mix. I also wish Lars would stop being so "earthy" with his keys so to speak.

Even though I bitch a lot I still completly love Epic. But I definitely want a change on this next album.

Dude get the fuck out of Tennessee.
:lol: Hey, 19 years of going to church comes with a lot of reminders, just because I haven't went since November doesn't mean they magically disappear.:lol:
Also, I'd like to get out, but all the prices on housing is too high in the more liberal locations of America, I may just end up living in somewhere around Nashville or Knoxville with some housing for about 400 $ a month.

Exactly. I think part of this problem lies in the production, as Zep mentioned earlier the guitars need to be more prominent in the mix. I also wish Lars would stop being so "earthy" with his keys so to speak.

Even though I bitch a lot I still completly love Epic. But I definitely want a change on this next album.

I love the Emp, Epic and Origin, about Emp y Epic, if the guitars could sound rawer and stay at front on the mix, could kick serious asses - more than now.

I dunno why Andreas sounds so less agressive. on Cosmic Genesis, their harsh vocals were incredible (on Cosmic Death were really grim) even on Solens Rötter (with crystal clear prod) he sounds more agressive... I hope the production (Borge???) will make a really black metal mix on the next album.