"Urd"

Nice song, I can feel a Q-ish vibe, which for me is a great thing. And the second half reminds me a bit of TAC, and not just because of ICS Vortex.
I'm already pretty certain that I'll like "Urd" a lot more than Universal (not saying that was a bad album, it just never really "clicked" for me..) :D
Really looking forward to the release!

love the track, especially the vocal arrangements: i shit my pants when i heard vortex's lead part. sound also benefitted from jens bogrens mix; can't gor wrong with him at the boards. probably their best production yet.

Roots is a masterpiece!!! Already one of the highlights of their entire discography, hopefully the rest of the songs are just as great as this one.

I'm curious as to when this album will leak. I already ordered, but man I would love to have my hands on it right now.

Oh there is also a telephone interview with Oystein on the net somewhere that contains some more clips....I forget the link!

I'm curious as to when this album will leak. I already ordered, but man I would love to have my hands on it right now.

Oh there is also a telephone interview with Oystein on the net somewhere that contains some more clips....I forget the link!

I guess I'm an asshole for even saying this publicly, but people on Last.Fm are saying that it's leaked.

I guess I'm an asshole for even saying this publicly, but people on Last.Fm are saying that it's leaked.
The people who want to buy it will, the people who won't never will. You can't escape this reality, only pretend it doesn't exist.

The people who want to buy it will, the people who won't never will. You can't escape this reality, only pretend it doesn't exist.
Indeed. I have seen that before when album by some smaller band was released and it appeared in Internet a month after the official release date. Before that very few were listening to it and suddenly many (in last.fm) were listening to it (obviously leaked version). Those who have no intention to buy the album never will. They will just wait it to leak or they will ignore it. Definitely not true fans.

Fans of the band won't be disappointed, and largely will see it as among their best material. I dig it, but largely feel its among the more overly felated albums in the reviewing circuit as of the last few years.

Hello All...
Regarding the comments of Oystein Borknagar.com he said "On another note we are currently working on a project that we will reveal soon, we are really excited about it and hopefully it will grant an additional and worthy dimension to our expression….. It sounds like a Video, maybe?
Anyone have a clue about this?

Yes it has leaked and it's brilliant, best they have done for a while.
The new vocal combination works extremely well.

can't wait! not too sure about a more aggressive touch though...
..and how right I was. less blast beats, more epic choral style and very rhythmical midtempo.... but as already mentioned, that works EXTREMELY well. great vocals, Lazare also got much (!) more space in singing. Very Solefald-like in my opinion.
I'm looking so much forward to the Inferno gig. Hopefully we get some Rivalry of Phantoms too :oops:

just picked it up this morning... I'll need more than one listen, but I think this one might just be the one they've been threatening to make for years now. props for more Lars as well!

The album beats the shit out of Universal, especially in the production department. This is the most epic Borknagar album since Empiricism and the one with the 'oldest' vibe since Quintessence.

The addition of Vortex and the greater contributions of Lazare in vocals made a huge impact; hell, even Vintersorg sounds now as good or better than he did on Empiricism! Andreas sounds as powerful as Lars and Simen, I think it's cause now Andreas doesn't need to struggle to reach so high notes - which Simen and Lars can reach better. Andreas in baritone/lower tenor register sounds just perfect, Lars sounds far better going higher so they compliment each other nicely.

I like the more streamlined structure of the songs, they flow pretty well. I have the impression that Urd benefits from the 'less is more' thing: Dave's drumming is technical but more flowing than Universal and he's way more integrated to the whole band, although some of his fills tends to draw some speed and force in some sections. The riffs? are excellent! I was reminded of TAC and TOD sometimes, the soloing is also very good! fits very well and since it's more used, adds more room to the vocals to rest a little bit and the instrumentarion to shine.

My fav songs/sections:

Epochalypse: it resumes very well what Urd offers.

The Beauty of Dead Cities: Lars sounds like a norse god here. I like the 'prog' feeling of the song and it's mellower feel.

The Earthling: I like how is builds tension until the most epic chorus/finale I've heard from Andreas since Inherit the Earth I AM THE EARTHLING!

Frostrite: It sounds sometimes like the ICS Vortex solo material, but it's a fairly diverse song.

The Winter Eclipse: epic and furious stuff!

In a Deeper World: Epicness at forgotten proportions. This song closes the album in a similar way Winter Millenium did for The Archaic Course. It's one of the best performances I've heard from Vortex, probably the best since Colossus.

Congrats, guys! it's a 9,8/10 album for me, which is really something given today's standards.