How would you evaluate your own social skills?

I figure I come off as friendly enough, I never usually have problems unless the person is stuck up in a way.

I guess it would be easier to just have Grant or Unknown judge whether or not I have decent social skills, since they were the first people I blindly met off this forum.

Yeah you were cool to hang with. I think your twisted sense of humor may even be more enjoyable in person because I didn't have to look at any of your fucked up photoshops of hot women while we were together :p

Somebody do me now!

After I dropped out in Grade 10, they immediately vanished. I have spent the last year really working on them, and they are getting up to snuff, once again. In retrospect, dropping out dealt the biggest blow to my life, thus far. But overcoming such things, especially at a young age, will hopefully stay with me as a group of good lessons.

I'm fairly sociable. I even talk to strangers sometimes :lol:
But that may be caused by the society I live in, which is very chatty and cracks a lot of bad jokes.

However, I tend to avoid people whose character seems unpleasant to me.

My social skills is something that I know I am good in. I have looked at a 1,000 situations from every perspective imagineable. I have measured reactions, expressions, - body language etc.... I have studied what makes people interesting.

fucking lol.

Mine are much better than they used to be. I grew up scared and shy and then became a paranoid stoner on top of that, so through my teens and early to mid twenties I pretty much sucked at conversation and meeting people. Now I'm older and wiser and have worked hard to get out of the shy/awkward/fear mindset and I don't smoke pot anymore.

in my teens and early 20s, i was extremely awkward and shy, especially with girls (not knowing what to say etc). now i have stopped giving a fuck and can talk to anyone on a superficial level, for a few minutes until i lose interest.

i can easily be laid back and dryly humorous, though i cannot make women want to have sex with me just through conversation, and i don't give a shit about that either.

My social skills are near nonexistant. I don't meet people anymore... and nowadays I feel a big rift between me and most of the people I used to be friends with in high school. I just don't really know what to talk about anymore, and a lot of times I just don't really feel like putting myself through the hassle of hanging out... is this normal? There's only really like 2-3 friends I still speak to with any frequency anymore. :erk:

I generally have an inability to small talk with anyone I don't know, beyond like a sentence or two. The whole social interaction of small talk seems forced and a waste to me anyway, basically people who really have nothing to say talking to each other because they feel they have to.

That being said, once I know people, I have no problem interacting. I am only annoyed when I am busy reading, etc. , and said people want to start talking. Quickest way to get unwanted attention is start enjoying a book, or a song on your mp3 player.

My social skills are okay....I work well in small groups of people.

Being in a relationship for the majority of college kind of stunted my development of social skills, since I saw them as not that necessary since the ultimate goal of social competence (in my view) had already been acquired.

Well, back to square one I guess...

I think I can do fine in most social situations I could be put in, but I don't really enjoy hanging out with people I don't know very well (I find it a tad awkward and often forced if we recently met or hardly know each other). I wouldn't say I have many friends by any means. I would say I have many acquaintances and a handful of true friends. Some people may find me awkward as I don't have a lot in common with most people I know and therefore not much to say.

All that being said, I've been in a relationship for almost 16 months now, so I must have some kind of social finesse somewhere.

I generally have an inability to small talk with anyone I don't know, beyond like a sentence or two. The whole social interaction of small talk seems forced and a waste to me anyway, basically people who really have nothing to say talking to each other because they feel they have to.

thisthisthis

I'm not shy, awkward, and self-conscious like I was as a teenager, but my social skills still suck. I have a zillion acquaintances, but barely any friends. I can make small talk with anybody. The first time I got a gorgeous woman and an extremely rich/powerful person to have a conversation with me that lasted longer than 10 seconds I felt great about myself, but after doing it on a regular basis for several years now, I realize that I must be missing something. I can't really make friends, because when I begin to chat with someone new, I realize that I can't identify with them. At all. And that's that. Obviously the problem lies with me and my prejudice against most people, because honestly, most people bore the shit out of me. Fuck, I am one conceited twat!

I'm very similar Saparmurat. My job involves being self-confident and speaking publically and I'm quite happy doing things like going to a bar and striking up a conversation with girls, but I too struggle to make serious friends for the same reasons as you.

zabu of nΩd;9795311 said:
Yeah you were cool to hang with. I think your twisted sense of humor may even be more enjoyable in person because I didn't have to look at any of your fucked up photoshops of hot women while we were together :p

Somebody do me now!

With how many jokes we were cracking that day, it would be a lie to say that you are not fit for society.

Unfortunately for everyone else, you have given me the idea to get a shirt made with a bunch of my photoshops on it. Now they will have to gaze into my monstrous creations as I talk to them about them about uncomfortable things! TRUE BEAUTY IS ON THE INSIDE GUYS, AND SOMETIMES ON THE OUTSIDE LIKE THIS LADY! <Sean Bean/Paris Hilton photoshop proudly stretched across my chest>

It really depends. A lot of times can not put my trust in anyone. I don't trust people and believe that majority of the times people are not decent. Chances of me trusting becoming vulnerable in a social setting and letting myself go is slim to none.

My social skills are near nonexistant. I don't meet people anymore... and nowadays I feel a big rift between me and most of the people I used to be friends with in high school. I just don't really know what to talk about anymore, and a lot of times I just don't really feel like putting myself through the hassle of hanging out... is this normal? There's only really like 2-3 friends I still speak to with any frequency anymore. :erk:

I am exactly just like you. It's very rare that i meet someone at the university who isn't taking the same class as me and is not Armenian and the chances of finding an Armenian student at the university is very slim.

And i don't think our situation is normal at all. Maybe, when i start my career and meet new people, my social skills will get better. I hope so.

I'm not quite sure how to evaluate it anymore, I may think I prefer being alone, or not being social because it's been the norm for so long but I don't think I enjoy it too much anymore. For some reason I have a pessimistic aversion to people, especially social events (dances, parties large gatherings etc.) I'm the type to just watch and observe or sit in the corner and look like a rapist. I also always think that people don't like me, but I have realized that it's the complete opposite and many people (apparently) look up to me and like me a lot, and I have a fairly good affinity to make people laugh. So lately I've been a lot better and have taken proactive measures to get out of my room and hang out with people. I feel like I have missed out and not taken advantage of a lot of things by staying by my lonesome all the time. I am in an environment where I feel no one is like me (i'm a senior in high school) and I've always felt like an "old soul" and generally have not put myself in trite teenage dramatizations. I think a lot of this will change when I go to college, where I'll be surrounded by (hopefully) like-minded musicians and people, although I realize that people have tendencies to be the same in any age bracket/situation/environment, and it's tough finding people to connect with.

tl;dr
I don't take advantage of the fact that I'm well liked and respected (I'm trying not to be conceited here) and I'm trying to fix that, by at least getting out of my room twice a week :p

I am the awesome with people. My humor is the awesome with people. I pretty much can sex any people I want, because my humor and personality is so awesome. I am so awesome, I can dialogue about anything with the people. My dialogue is awesome. With people. I swim and dance with people so awesome it's like sexing with dolphins. It's the awesome.

:lol:

In all seriousness, I feel that I am pretty average with people. I seem to be able to make friends rather easily but probably more because I come off as easy going.