How would you evaluate your own social skills?

I guess this is kind of related, but do people find it harder to talk on the phone instead of talking to people face to face? I mean it's not as hard if I know them in person but it's still a little harder for me to communicate.

Same with talking to people in online games using a mic.

I actually have kind of a "fear" of talking with people on the phone. I really don't know why. I find it way easier to talk in person or text. I deliberately refrain from answering my phone a lot of the times for precisely this reason. I've actually developed a reputation among some of my friends for never answering my phone. Usually I only like to talk on the phone when it's for the purposes of coordinating something definite, like "Ok, I'll meet you here at 7pm. Goodbye."

Definitely. I'd rather speak face to face, IM, or text over talk on the phone.

I actually have kind of a "fear" of talking with people on the phone. I really don't know why. I find it way easier to talk in person or text. I deliberately refrain from answering my phone a lot of the times for precisely this reason. I've actually developed a reputation among some of my friends for never answering my phone. Usually I only like to talk on the phone when it's for the purposes of coordinating something definite, like "Ok, I'll meet you here at 7pm. Goodbye."

Cool, I'm not the only one. answering the phone isn't nearly as hard for me as calling people because I procrastinate it for a couple minutes and then the fear grows, while if I call it's instant and I feel a strong need to pick it up.

House phones are even worse then cellphones because at least with a cellphone there's a 95% chance that the person who I want to talk to will pick it up rather then their mom, sister, dad, etc.

Ha! I totally know how you guys feel, I basically have exactly the same reputation as Cythraul amongst my friends. I don't know why I don't like picking the phone up, but I definitely try to avoid it wherever possible.

Phones are annoying. It's like carrying in your pocket the ability for anyone who has your number to call you and nag you or whatever. I hate phone calls with a passion and almost never answer them.

I really dread job hunting, because I am going to have to play up my "team player" people skills and pretend I am not a cranky misanthrope. I've realized that a lot of my social ungracefulness is just a result of being stuck up/picky/elitist because in my mind I already have enough friends.

I am pretty anxious (I hate that word but it's the only appropriate one) about having to relate to Americans and be American and shit. In Japan I get to be quiet and keep to myself and I have grown to love that. People let me be and don't complain loudly about everything. Anticipating shitty reverse culture shock in...oh fuck, 9 weeks.

I feel ya Krampie

I have 3 interviews coming up this week and I'm having serious anxiety. I think I might have a drink or two before I have to face the reality of the brimming shit.

And here I thought you were Mr. Confidence. Interviews are fairly harrowing but you'll be fine. Take a couple Dayquil, then you won't care about anything.

Man I feel kinda sorry for people who get anxiety during social events or for things like job interviews. Maybe it's the not giving a shit part of me, or the arrogant know-it-all in me, that makes situations like that really easy.

It's kind of like when we were in high school and you had to make a presentation in front of the entire class. I never understood how or why people totally freaked out and couldn't do the presentation without being extremely nervous. I've never had that problem.

/fuck yea

Seriously though, I'm not trying to brag or anything, I just find it interesting that it affects others but not me.

i sort of have performance anxiety. when a lot of people expect me to do something not of my choosing (in high school it was schoolwork, now it's job related shit, certain things my parents want me to do but have no control over, other pressure, etc) i tend to crack and feel like i'm incapable of doing it at all. that's probably the worst

Man I feel kinda sorry for people who get anxiety during social events or for things like job interviews. Maybe it's the not giving a shit part of me, or the arrogant know-it-all in me, that makes situations like that really easy.

It's kind of like when we were in high school and you had to make a presentation in front of the entire class. I never understood how or why people totally freaked out and couldn't do the presentation without being extremely nervous. I've never had that problem.

/fuck yea

Seriously though, I'm not trying to brag or anything, I just find it interesting that it affects others but not me.

Same for me. I enjoyed the shit out of getting in front of groups of people and doing things others seemed excessively nervous over. I honestly think that poor parenting led to that though... My dad took me to Karaoke bars when I was around 8 or so and I would sing the shit out of enter sandman, symphony of destruction and iron man for all the drunks, It was great haha.