I am sick of all this elitist metal bullshit

I've stopped asking people "what kind of music do you listen to?" because the response is almost always "a little bit of everything." which is about as vague as you can get.

Now I just ask, "what kinds of bands or artists do you like?" or "are there any new cd's you're listening to?" This usually yields a more detailed response.

Honestly, with chicks, I gave up initiating discussion of music AGES ago; I love what I love (metal), and most chicks don't, so I have just 100% resigned myself to almost every (desirable, well-adjusted) girl not being able to identify with it (and me more than likely having to quell the unbelievable urge to turn my nose up and scoff at her tastes in tunes :loco: ) That said, the good girls, the real keepers, are the ones who are open-minded enough to recognize, appreciate, and (if I'm really lucky) get turned on by the clear passion and unwavering dedication I have for listening to and playing metal, and fortunately I've met a lot of 'em! :headbang:

But a perfect example of that type of understanding (sans the chicks part :D) on the other side is our own Gareth's love for music that I consider awful clangy noise; while I can't identify with it, I can totally understand and respect his explanation; namely, that he feels a huge amount of emotion coming from the rawness of it all. Like I said, for me it's not enough to make up for what I don't like in the music itself, but I get where he's coming from!

In fairness I can be pretty evasive when asked about music in certain non-peer situations. I love metal but I am often reluctant to tell a stranger something like "I've been cranking Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious alot lately" -- particularly if it is in the context of work or if I just plain don't want to have the conversation.

*yawn* ... I stopped caring about genres a loooooong time ago. If I hear something I find interesting, I listen to it... it's that simple :)

It's also interesting that people sometimes say they listen to metal because it's full of energy, power and emotions and stuff but I have always found stuff like The Mars Volta, The Fall of Troy and The Dillinger Escape plan to fucking rape most metal when it comes to energy and emotions. Wish I knew more bands like those... especially like The Mars Volta/The Fall of Troy.

I listen to metal only because there are a few great bands who happen to be categorized as metal, so I'm kinda forced to say "I listen to metal" sometimes, but really... I do listen to everything that appeals to me which includes pop music, electronica, funk, jazz, hip hop, whatEVER.

But god is it hopeless when you meet someone who listens to metal only because it's macho/cool and he dresses just the way you'd expect... hahaha, it's fucking miserable in my opinion :)

It's also interesting that people sometimes say they listen to metal because it's full of energy, power and emotions and stuff but I have always found stuff like The Mars Volta, The Fall of Troy and The Dillinger Escape plan to fucking rape most metal when it comes to energy and emotions. Wish I knew more bands like those... especially like The Mars Volta/The Fall of Troy.

See, but that stuff is all too raw/noisy/clangy for me; I like energy, power, and emotions, but of the tight, controlled variety, it heightens the effect a billion-fold for me because of the control and what I perceive as maturity of the music!

See, but that stuff is all too raw/noisy/clangy for me; I like energy, power, and emotions, but of the tight, controlled variety, it heightens the effect a billion-fold for me because of the control and what I perceive as maturity of the music!

Energy can't be kept on a leash or confined in nice tight little cans Marcus! :D

Well anyway, we're basically discussing the same thing as genres now... which I won't do. I'm not gonna insist on that The Mars Volta scientifically is more energetic than I don't know... fucking Metallica or something. It just is to me and that's that.

I just rediscovered Meja - All about the money. That song kicks so much ass and it's so simple haha :) Take that you metal head! :D *teases*

Energy can't be kept on a leash or confined in nice tight little cans Marcus! :D

Well anyway, we're basically discussing the same thing as genres now... which I won't do. I'm not gonna insist on that The Mars Volta scientifically is more energetic than I don't know... fucking Metallica or something. It just is to me and that's that.

I just rediscovered Meja - All about the money. That song kicks so much ass and it's so simple haha :) Take that you metal head! :D *teases*

Yes yes, of course, like I said above, it's all about what tastes one has, so we certainly won't get anywhere trying to debate it! :) But Metallica would NOT be what I'd nominate if we were to ;)

ok, i've come across a worse response than the "i listen to everything" one. a co-worker once said: I just go on itunes every two weeks and buy all the new songs on the charts that i dont have yet, so i can keep current with it all. :zombie:

yea..... i dont speak to her outside of work context anymore.

power metal > ALL

i fucking love rhapsody (of fire)
theres nothing more EPIC than a power metal song 20 FUCKING minutes long
they have a CD with Christopher Lee ..THE FUCKING SARUMAN!!! (and AWESOME DRACULA)

i listen to almost all styles inside "metal" but
this Crabcore/deathcore/"something!-core bands
its like listen to the same song over and over again...
(and i admit that i like a couple of bands of the style)

I listen to good music and I don't listen to bad music. Those are the only 2 genres I classify things by.

Suffocation rules, old Green Day is awesome, Kelly Clarkson kicks ass, Sarah McLachlan owns my life, Capharnaum rapes worlds.

Our Lady Peace suck a dick, Fergie blows, 50 Cent is shit, Trivium is awful, etc.

As dumb as metal elitism is, there's nothing more annoying than college hipster douche elitism. Mostly because it goes beyond music, like I'm a dumbshit because I don't give a fuck about American politics, or the shitty art gallery up the street, or whatever garbage David Lynch movie is de rigueur among arts majors.

Oh and I saw someone mention it before and had to say, if there is a more awesome concept to write songs about than treasure, I'm yet to hear it.

NP: Alestorm - Of Treasure.