I am sick of all this elitist metal bullshit

CatharsisStudios

trcksngsrpbngs
Jun 25, 2008
okay so some band wants to sing pretty and have breakdowns, cool let them do what they want i mean when it comes down to it isn't that what music is all about? seriously i love this forum cause its usally elitist free.

fuck if i wanted elitism of any forum i'd go straight to harmony central or gear sluts

and if were gonna start calling shit like this gay.
DON'T even get me started on power metal.

i'd rather get down like a crab any day then have stupid fucking lyrics about dragons.

Hey, I like some power metal and worship Petrucci (in the old days), and both see a lot of hate on here - but I don't give a crap cuz I can take it as well as I can dish it ;)

exactly. but it gets a little annoying, since i say fuck it that any of these guys on here think that any band you know MOVES for god sake must be a fucking douche bag. and crabcore, i mean the attack attack thing was ridicilous but i see NOTHING wrong in a that confide music video,

The state of the youth metal scene is rather atrocious these days - even more so than when I was in school. But I'm over it. There'll always be some gimmicky, by the numbers crap to appeal to the kids so what's the use in complaining about it. Whether you like your lyrics to be about slaying dragons or boning that cheerleader in math, it's all the same turd.

as they say, opinions are worth about 2 cents. everyone has an opinion and theyre entitled to it. just cuz the ratio of people who hate what attack attack is doing to music outnumbers people who will defend them about 20 to 1, doesnt mean that you have to stop liking it. but it doesnt make it elitist either.

i've not seen a band that deserves this much hatred in a long time... though someone on here mentioned brokencyde. after seeing a video of theirs for the first time, i think they may even top attackattack.

Hey, I like some power metal and worship Petrucci (in the old days), and both see a lot of hate on here - but I don't give a crap cuz I can take it as well as I can dish it ;)

I don't even remember the last time power metal or petrucci was insulted here except 1st post of this thread, well except by shreddymarz but he hates everything so he doesn't count :heh:

And about the thread, deathcore is the trend, so it's just normal people bash it, it's everywhere, and more then half of the rate my mix threads are death core/tech death or similar. If power metal was the trend, then power metal would be equally bashed.

Don't take it too seriously d00d :)

its not deathcore D: call me a hippy but what i love about this forum no ones fucking bashing anyone usually. lately its just been a fucking bash fest

Haha well I didn't even know how to call it, it has breakdowns so I just chose a random prefix followed by -core haha.

I agree on the bashfest but I don't think it's that bad, and people mostly bash music, not people. Immaturity by some people here bothers me a lot more than music bashing actually.

I think a lot of the hatred comes from the fans. I don't mind that the stuff exsits out there, and I don't like it really, but I never really talk crap about it because people can do what they want, and if they enjoy making that music then good luck to them.

I just find - at least where I love anyway - that every teenage kid with an asymmetrical haircut these days is into all of that sort of stuff, and that's fine, but you get into a conversation with one of them and they'll say "oh do you like metal?" and of course I'll say "hell yeh man!", which is followed by them asking "have you heard _____ or ____" before? I say something like "oh only little bits and pieces but nothing much and it really wasn't for me" and then they'll start trying to school me in heavy metal, when I've been listening to it for far longer than them, and didn't say anything bad about what they recommended, and they'll start talking crap like "man death metal is all just the same crap and it's boring", when I honestly think a lot of that -core stuff sounds the same too, but I never try to argue with anyone about it because its a waste of time.

the main emotion that metal music thrives on is hate. sometimes it's religion, or the government, or their family situation, but in this case it's mainstream mass appeal.

if you look back at the 80's, there were many bands that felt like their careers as musicians would would be more successful if they adopted the fashion trends of the time, but taken to the extreme. the hair, the clothes, the makeup. as a result, there were a flood of bands that all looked exactly the same, and often tried to sound the same to appeal to what the record companies were looking for.

fast forward to now, and history just repeats itself. the hair, the clothes, the makeup. all these bands are just clones of one another making disposable music as another worthless commodity for the consumer, with songs that have emotional impact for only a few weeks. because the faster you go through music, the more the record companies make, and that's the point. so what you get is the same kinds of bands using the same kinds of songs with the same chords and same structure and same look, because people like what they are familiar with.

now, i grew up in the 90's as a teen. rap-metal/nu-metal was cool at the time, and i was apart of that trend. baggy pants, bleached hair, all that crap. i listened to limp bizkit and korn. then one of my friends older brother introduced me to some other music that wasn't "trendy" at that time; bands like in flames, blind guardian, symphony x, and dimmu borgir. and you know the biggest difference between those bands? i can still go back and listen to that music after all this time and still enjoy it. not the same with the "trendy" nu-metal shit i thought was cool at the time.

bottom line is, you should like whatever kind of music you want! but just remember that trends will die, so don't get too caught up in them. everyone has a right to say what they want, and listen to what they want, but don't waste your time letting either offend you.

I don't really care if people bash music it's all good.

I'm just glad I didn't get stuck somewhere (you know the kind of person I'm talking about, the ones that ONLY think music from a certain period or style is acceptable listening material) because I don't think I could move forward in this job market.

I love nu-metal, new hardcore, and metalcore. They are my favorite and for some reason seemingly the 3 most bashed genres of the past 3 or so years. This post hardcore, and mallcore is just the new nu metal.

I can't see calling glam metal anything but gay, but who cares? All music is good in it's own right as long as people want to listen to it.

Its doing well, so you can't realy ignore it right?
On the other hand.. there is no denying, that there are about a 100 too many bands that look and sound exactly like a bad BMTH.

I grew up with a fair amount of rediculous music and looks in the bands i loved aswell haha..
And the more kids that pick this up, the more people that will go through to real man metal right? ;)

I love nu-metal

OMG you loser! :p

But in all seriousness, KoRn are one of my favourite bands, and they have been for a VERY long time.

Sometimes I feel like I might be a kind of 'hack' or something because I'm a huge metal-head and don't really dig bands like Van Halen or Black Sabbath that much, but at the end of the day I think "nah fuck that" because I like what I like, and I don't think I am any less of a metal-head for not enjoying those bands on a similar level to everyone else. Sure I can appreciate Van Halen in that he is regarded as the first 'shredder' and without him, all of my favourite guitarists wouldn't exist, and I can appreciate the way Black Sabbath songs could be considered the first metal songs, and are really dark and heavy, but at the end of the day, it just doesn't grab me like other bands do.

Metal is retarded anyway.
I stopped taking it seriously years ago, so this is a non-issue for me.

:Smug:

Oddly, I never liked Linkin Park at all when they were popular and when Hybrid Theory was all over the place.
I came back to it as a 20 year old guy, now a musician, and I now I love that album, full of energy, amazing groove, dynamics and awesome songs. Whether it was once trendy or not, I could not give two fucks about, because I simply just enjoy listening to it, plain and simple.

I listen to metal, I listen to post hardcore, I listen to emo, I listen to classical, I listen to jazz, I listen to jazz fusion, I listen to avant garde music, I listen to hip hop, I listen to alt rock, I listen to indie rock, I listen to post rock and I listen to some electronic stuff. I like some deathcore, some metalcore stuff, all good shit to me. Hell, my favorite band right now is Paramore.
I listen to such a wide range of different genres simply because I like different music for all the emotions I experience. I think it's pretty fair that sometimes I'm just not in the fucking mood to listen to metal, so I'm not gonna limit myself to just metal.
This is not to say I just listen to anything you throw at me. I am still very picky about what I like, but yet I feel there is only positives in listening to so many different styles of music, because it can all be a source of inspiration to you in some way.

If you saw me in the street on any given day, you wouldn't be able to tell I'm a metalhead, because I honestly don't really like wearing "metal" clothes, I don't have long hair nor bald (the metal stereotypes), I just look like an average dude in the street. Sometimes I cop shit from "troo kvlt" metalheads, usually my friends for not growing my hair, for not wearing metal band t shirts every time I walk out the door, but fuck them, because I just don't feel comfortable. I do what I feel suits me and feels comfortable, which is pretty much not wearing anything that suggests "metulz".
Yet I call myself a metalhead anyway.
Why?
Because it's the music I listen to most on average throughout any given year, because it's what I play most when I pick up a guitar and ultimately it's the music I understand the most.
The best fans of metal I've met are always the ones that are willing to learn, listen, be tolerant of others, understand and open up their minds rather than closing them off.

I can like what I like and hate what I hate. Hell I like Techno, Tolerate No Doubt, and Love Metal but I dislike these crossover bands that are cookie cutter and think they invented smores or something. It appears they are having the last laugh by being successful anyway.

Honestly, I just simply ignore the elitist attitudes. To me these people seem more ridiculous than anything. I can tell when someone is being genuine and when someone is bitching for the sake of bitching.

I think Attack! Attack! kind of suck, but that's where it ends. They have some mediocre and ok-sounding choruses, the same way Britney Spears does. If I turn on my car radio, and Kelly Clarkson comes on, and I'm too lazy to change the station, then I will listen. I really do not care. It is music. It is sound that is pleasing to the ears. If I dig it, I dig it. I like many different styles and have my favorite bands.

Once in a blue moon I will have an "elitist" argument with someone over music, but usually only if they have no clue what the hell they are talking about. Other than that I just listen to anything that speaks to me, anything that sounds good. Certain bands strike a chord with me and I can connect to these lyrics/songs in an incredible way. Some other music is meant to be easily digestable and I see nothing wrong with that. As long as you are aware of where it came from and what it is/is not, then all is good.

-Joe

when it comes to THIS forum, i don't mind the bashing, because at the end of the day, we all get along here. it basically comes down to "i love you guise," differences in musical taste be damned.

and fuck yes, hybrid theory is the SHIT. although i have to skip crawling every time. too much 4chan spoilt that for me.
but papercut? seriously man. that is some fucking groove. mike shinoda is a seriously underrated mc, his shit flows so nicely.
collosal tone too. TY andy wallace ^_^

okay so some band wants to sing pretty and have breakdowns, cool let them do what they want i mean when it comes down to it isn't that what music is all about? seriously i love this forum cause its usally elitist free.

fuck if i wanted elitism of any forum i'd go straight to harmony central or gear sluts

and if were gonna start calling shit like this gay.
DON'T even get me started on power metal.

i'd rather get down like a crab any day then have stupid fucking lyrics about dragons.

Okay, so you're going to come down on everybody for hating on one genre of music, and in the same post you're calling power metal gay and fucking stupid?

That doesn't do much for your cause, man. :rolleyes:

The reason I loathe these screamo/core/whatever bands is because the kids that follow that shit are absolutely destroying our local scene. They're assholes who disrespect the bands, disrespect everybody. Every time I go to a local show it's overun with these kids and they're in everyone's face, yelling and cursing at the band, making a mockery of everything. And this is at death metal shows. Why do they even come to death metal shows if they only want to ridicule the bands?
It's all I can do to keep from kicking somebody's ass every time I go.

I hate those kids, and to me, that music = those fucking kids.