I bought a new car (the "I wanna be like Gugs" thread)...

I honestly forgot that Mitsubishi still sold cars in the US. But some day I hope to live in a Fuso!

FUSO.jpg
[Agalloch CD spinning, dog farting in her sleep]

Last edited:
May actually get a VW Tiguan instead. With a first responder discount from the local VW dealer that the Mitsu dealer doesn't offer, the Tiguan comes out to the same price as the Eclipse.

Post VW shitbashing comments below.

May actually get a VW Tiguan instead. With a first responder discount from the local VW dealer that the Mitsu dealer doesn't offer, the Tiguan comes out to the same price as the Eclipse.

Post VW shitbashing comments below.

That is legitimately a phenomenal idea. I love Tiguans, and I don't think you're going to have much reliability difference between the two brands. I guarantee that if you test drive both of them that you will notice a gigantic difference. I had two Jettas that I talked some shit on, but they really only had small electrical problems that were fixed under warranty. The cars were cool looking, fun to drive, and otherwise I had no problems.

Did you actually get a chance to drive one? The obvious MPG benefits are pretty attractive. I'm at the point in my life where I just want something small, efficient, and reliable to get from A to B. I would get a Civic, but I live in an area where AWD is a serious benefit during the winter (lots of hills and stopping on hills). I did fine with snow tires for years, but I don't think I want to go back to regular FWD. I should probably check out some Subarus, but we will see.
Nah, I loathe sales people to the point where I can't be bothered to test drive things anymore. They always ruin the experience. Back in the good old days, I swear sales people didn't insist on going with me on drives. Now, I guess it's just company policy so that they can garner as much information from you as possible and also distract you from the actual driving experience. I bought my wife a minivan without a test drive. They were like "are you SURE you don't want to test drive?" I said, "it's a minivan". I was forced to have a guy ride with me when I was checking out my Corolla because he had to give me a ride to their overflow lot that was several blocks away. I almost said, "oh so I guess I'm giving you a ride back to the showroom?" He talked the entire fucking time.

Uhh, so, anyway, I've never driven a Prius. However, I can say the interior is spacious and comfortable.

Jonathan, you should start a car blog about cars that you want but never purchase. Or maybe a YooToob channel. I could be a guest spot. One year ago I test drove a new Wrangler and the dude asked me "so when are you looking to purchase?" I said "oh about 2 years from now." He didn't ask any further questions until less than a mile later, when he asked me to return to the dealer lot.
I just lol'd at this entire post

I like almost all VWs. Add GTi and Golf R to my collection of cars I "almost bought but didn't". I even went to far as to apply for financing.

Speaking of, Golf R is officially no longer coming to the US and no one is buying the GTi anymore either.

My dad bought a GTI in 2015 and has now passed it on to my brother as a company car. Hasn't given anyone an lick of trouble, very nice vehicle.

Yeah, I've really wanted one for years now. But now that I own my Corolla my next car will be something completely irresponsible so scratch me off the GTi/Golf R list. It's sad no one is buying them.

Goddamnit. I have been reading about the latest Nissan scandal with their automatic/emergency braking systems. A lot of people were having them go off for no reason- like the car just screeching to a halt while going 60mph with nothing in the road or even near the radar. Mine started to beep once in a while at certain points in my commute, but the braking never actually went off. This morning, while driving on a totally clear road (thankfully no one driving behind me), the thing just slammed on its own brakes and took me from about 50mph to 30mph with no warning. Absolutely fucking bogus. You can turn off this feature, but its a pain in the ass to do every time you start the car. This shit shouldn't be installed on any vehicle until its 100% flawless, and I dont ever see that happening.

The dealership has a software "fix", but I'm reading that it has made the problem worse for many people.

Last edited:
Is there a way to permanently disable that shit? I mean I like ABS and EFI for tech crap, but automatic braking just sounds like a bad idea. A few years ago I saw a video of someone using a shartphone to commandeer a new Jeep. The hackers drove it around like an RC car. Pretty awful.

The Wrangler is about as analogue as you can get in the US these days, crank windows, manual transmission, lever operated transfer case, etc. But everything (literally everything) is ran through the computer first. Turn indicators, wipers, and headlights all have sticks and slides, but they get the okay from the ECU before doing anything. It's weird. I have a chip programmer thingy to disable some automatic bullshit and also do a dance with the steering wheel and gas pedal to turn off things, all permanently. Does the Nissan have anything like that?

The Answer:

https://jalopnik.com/the-lada-niva-refuses-to-die-42-years-and-counting-1837042744

We've talked about the Lada Niva before and sure it might be uncomfortable by our current horrendously spoiled standards, but g-d dammit, one must admire the purity of such a beast. I would love one and/or another Suzuki Samurai/Jimny.

i’ve kinda been looking at light commercial vehicles like little vans and such because at least here in europe the base models tend to be basic af with as little computer shit as possible

besides i have to transport so much shit to and fro all the time that a van might not be a bad idea

pickup trucks are not a thing here

Hmm, well, instead the wife’s Sienna blew a head gasket. Shop wants $4800 to drop the engine out and R&R. I asked them to, just for the sake of argument, evaluate what they’d offer to buy it. $5500.
Lol.
RIP dorian

Reactions: Reign in Acai
Btw, it only has 65,000 miles on it. Thus ends my patronage of Toyota. I’ve run out of “reliable” brands at this point. I seriously see no reason I shouldn’t start driving VWs, MBs or any other “unreliable” marque. At least I wouldn’t be driving something with that tin-can piece of shit feeling Japanese cars have.
Fuck!