I.C.S Vortex / Simen Hestnæs

He sings more than he growls on The Archaic Course, and on Quintessence it's the other way around. But it's not a lopsided ratio on either.

OK thanks, I think I'll get The Archaic Course first then, I discovered Simen through Arcturus' Sideshow Symphonies which has become one of my all-time favourite albums, greatly because of the vocals :)

Well then you can't go wrong with The Archaic Course. However, the song Colossus on Quintessence is hailed by many as the best song Simen has done with Borknagar

I remember one of the first times I went metal shopping I bought Quintessence, The Archaic Course and Sideshow Symphonies all on the same day. Simen still remains my favorite vocalist in all metal with those albums topping my list.

hm, lots of interest in Simen as of late it seems.
Thought i have to disagree with Colossus being the best song but i dont want to start that again lol

i love simen's vocals on Arcturus and Borknagar. but for some reason i think in Dimmu Borgir his voice just doesnt fit in that style of music, it doesnt sound right. of course, that's just my opinion. perhaps it's because i only have Death Cult Armageddon, didnt really bother to listen to the rest.

Azzor1911 said:
i love simen's vocals on Arcturus and Borknagar. but for some reason i think in Dimmu Borgir his voice just doesnt fit in that style of music, it doesnt sound right. of course, that's just my opinion. perhaps it's because i only have Death Cult Armageddon, didnt really bother to listen to the rest.

I disagree, I think his voice adds a very cool contrast in Dimmu Borgir's music. Well, in fact I just love every album he's been involved in.

rammpeth said:
hm, lots of interest in Simen as of late it seems.
Thought i have to disagree with Colossus being the best song but i dont want to start that again lol
Of course, Simen is multi-talented. :kickass:

I don't look at Colossus as the best, but still, it's the best way of introducing someone to Simen's work in Borknagar. It's epic.

I blame Dimmu Borgir for pulling Simen out of Borknagar. I can just just imagine what majestic heights of power Borknagar could ascend to had Simen stayed with them. Ever since he left I feel that Borknagar lost its angry side and the music began to lose that oomph to it. It maintained the magic but lacks the strength.

(No offense to Mr. V)

Kinetic- said:
Well then you can't go wrong with The Archaic Course. However, the song Colossus on Quintessence is hailed by many as the best song Simen has done with Borknagar
I guess I'm one of the many. I listen to that song all the time. I am addicted to it. I wish he wasn't wasting his talents in Dimmu. Don't get me wrong, I love the band, but he should sing more than just a verse or two on a couple of songs. His bass playing is pretty good though.

It's pretty funny though, his best work in Dimmu was before he even joined the band. He sang a lot more on Spiritual Black Dimension than he did on Puritanical or Deathcult