I.C.S Vortex / Simen Hestnæs

Zephyrus said:
I blame Dimmu Borgir for pulling Simen out of Borknagar. I can just just imagine what majestic heights of power Borknagar could ascend to had Simen stayed with them.
I both agree and disagree. I was quite convinced that when Simen left, Borknagar were doomed. However, they proved me wrong in the best way possible, by producing an album as good as "Empiricism". IMHO, it's not an album that they could have made with Simen singing. It needs Mr. V.

Yes, I lament the fact that Dimmu don't make as much use of his vocal talents as they should. But Borknagar are doing just fine without him.

I think Vintersorg does a lot more of that weird kind of singing than Simen does. That's why I think that the past two albums were a little closer to the first two since Vintersorg's style is somewhat similar to Garm.
Simen gave the band a whole different sound. I happen to love everything from Borknagar. Simen, Vintersorg and Garm also happen to be among my favorite vocalists from that folk/Viking/avant-garde/progressive extreme metal scene

Zephyrus said:
I blame Dimmu Borgir for pulling Simen out of Borknagar. I can just just imagine what majestic heights of power Borknagar could ascend to had Simen stayed with them. Ever since he left I feel that Borknagar lost its angry side and the music began to lose that oomph to it. It maintained the magic but lacks the strength.

(No offense to Mr. V)
Totally agree!
Borknagar sounds much too similar to Vintersorg these days.
It's kind of lost it's "norwegian" sound to it.
Even so, I enjoy the two latest albums, it's just that the sound has become more synthetic and thus more boring.

I recently read an interview with Oystein in which he said that the album to be released after the acoustic album will be much darker and sort of a throwback to the Quintessence days. Hope is on the horizon!

Zephyrus said:
I recently read an interview with Oystein in which he said that the album to be released after the acoustic album will be much darker and sort of a throwback to the Quintessence days. Hope is on the horizon!
:headbang:
Cool!
Speaking of... Im listening to Quintessence as we speak, it's been a long time since I last put it on now. Mmmm, good memories. Obviously I don't grow tired of Borknagar anyways.

I doubt I go a day or two without pleasuring my ears with a number from that album. Same goes for The Archaic Course.

Metal head87 said:
I think Vintersorg does a lot more of that weird kind of singing than Simen does. That's why I think that the past two albums were a little closer to the first two since Vintersorg's style is somewhat similar to Garm.
Simen gave the band a whole different sound. I happen to love everything from Borknagar. Simen, Vintersorg and Garm also happen to be among my favorite vocalists from that folk/Viking/avant-garde/progressive extreme metal scene
I think the same. They are great singers :headbang:

Oh my God! I just had a dream that Simen was my forgotten uncle/cousin and that he showed up at a family reunion! It was awesome!

Vintersorg always seemed to me to be the more talented singer of the two. Vortex can definitely sing but I think Vintersorg does more challenging work. Vortex is pretty much useless in Dimmu, it's a complete waste of talent to have Shaggrath sing and Vortex backing up / playing bass when he's so obviously the more talented singer of the two.

Then again, I like Dimmu's stuff up until Enthrone Darkness Triumphant far more than anything after. I saw them live in 2002 / 2003 or so and Vortex sang so occasionally that it was a pretty big disappointment (although in general the concert was solid).

And I don't think Borkie sounding like Mr.V's stuff is a bad thing... he's a very creative musician and Borknagar tends to be a band with a very... amorphuous sound throughout the years. My three favorite Bork albums are Archaic Course, Epic, and Empiricism, so obviously Simen and Mr.V are doing something right. /pats own back

Zephurys where did you read that interview..?
my opinion regarding Vortex/Mr. V in Borknagar, well it's quite obvious that Empiricism would have sounded a lot different (as mentioned) if Vortex stayed. But then again, every borknagar sounds different, more progressive, always very original. that's what makes them one of the best bands on this planet. and without Vintersorg that wouldnt have been possible.
So Zephyrus, could you please post a link to that interview, i wanna know exactly what the 'grand old bold bald' meant by what you said.

Azzor1911 said:
Zephurys where did you read that interview..?
my opinion regarding Vortex/Mr. V in Borknagar, well it's quite obvious that Empiricism would have sounded a lot different (as mentioned) if Vortex stayed. But then again, every borknagar sounds different, more progressive, always very original. that's what makes them one of the best bands on this planet. and without Vintersorg that wouldnt have been possible.
So Zephyrus, could you please post a link to that interview, i wanna know exactly what the 'grand old bold bald' meant by what you said.

I read it a while ago, and I forget where. I've run several searches and can't seem to find it. But I assure you it mentioned what I said. I'm not sure if it was an interview or it mentioned one, but it said something along the lines of "Oystein is always two albums ahead of himself" and then it mentioned what I said earlier about the realease after "Origin".

hate to say this, but someone would have mentioned it sooner or later, so here goes...
Origin has leaked to the internet

:(