I hate grunge.

I hate GNR and I die a little inside every time that I see someone compare Tim Baker or Eric Wagner to Axl Rose.

Funny because Axl Rose was the first thing I thought of when I first heard Eric Wagner, and I remember discussing that with my dad (iirc he disagreed and Wagner's voice was his biggest hurdle with Trouble).

hair metal is the most fucking posturing music has ever had to deal with

it was a bunch of pop artists who couldn't admit they were writing/playing pop music because it wouldn't be 'metal'

fuck that, if you're going to play pop music then do it

fucking embrace the bop

Glam Metal is a tolerable term. Hair Metal is completely crucifying. Perhaps, some day, a writer will refer to Punk as Snot Rock and have that linger for decades. Nobody called this music "hair metal" in the early 80s...or the mid 80s...or the late 80s... or the early 90s in fact I never heard it until the mid 90s and I definitely don't recognize it as an actual musical term. It's a b.s. phrase cooked up as a derogatory comment. The holy trinity of glam metal influences are as follows:
1) Van Halen--Biggest contributions: guitar technique, frontman persona, background vocal style.
2) KISS--Biggest contributions--stage design and pyrotechnics, lyrics about decadent rock lifestyle, template for making heavy songs poppy.
3) Cheap Trick--Biggest contributions: outlandish guitar designs, strong pop melodies, adding mugging goofiness to heavy rock, prototypical "pretty" blonde male singer.

Other major influences in creating the style would include Aerosmith, AC/DC, New York Dolls, Sweet, and of course Led Zep and Deep Purple. I would go further and say that Van Halen may be to metal what the Velvet Underground was to alternative rock. They literally launched several sub-genres of metal on their own. There were very few viable metal acts prior to Van Halen's first album. Within 3-4 years, metal was all over the place, with most of the bands bearing much more of a resemblance to Van Halen than Black Sabbath, although many of these acts that followed also owed a heavy debt to Judas Priest. Van Halen inspired the US metal stuff. They also inspired a legion of guitarists. Their influence remained on all the hard rock/glam rock/glam metal/stuff to get your girlfriend wet stuff the major labels and MTV loved. Also Michael Schenker was a huge influence on glam metal. You don't get that 8th note riff style being so prominent in the music without him. In that sense, I think a lot of 80s heavy metal guitarists grew up on UFO.

But also big influence on metal was still British. Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Venom, Motorhead and rest of NWOBHM which inspired the thrash movement.

I just want to discuss about music. I am engaging. What do you want me to do? Soo i need to self-censor myself to avoid conflict with you.
You don’t engage, you just do the same rant over and over and post YouTube videos. Every time someone goes to the effort of pulling apart one of your posts and addressing the things you say, you ignore them.

The really good Metal is the stuff that is true to its roots. I'm talking Classic Metal, Power Metal, Progressive Metal, Symphonic Metal, Groove Metal, Speed Metal, Thrash Metal, Glam Metal, Stoner Metal, Doom Metal etc.
Also, I wanted to ask you about this. Why don't you just talk about genres like power, traditional, progressive, thrash, doom, etc.? You'd get some more substantive discussion out of that. Besides, the level of quality is consistently superior in those genres than in much of glam or hair. Maybe even talk about the '90s stuff you may like as power metal, doom metal and progressive metal had some good material come out in that decade with thrash also getting many great releases from '90 to '95. Hair metal's level of quality, impact in the '80s and decline have been done to death in many discussions already.

Pretty sure he's legitimately autistic and lonely and just looking for someone to talk with regarding his single pet interest.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
I just want to discuss about music. I am engaging. What do you want me to do? Soo i need to self-censor myself to avoid conflict with you.
Oh...you’re engaging...trust me. It just seems your message is “fabricated” and I got the nagging suspicion we’re being trolled...you can’t drum on with repetitive David Attenborough length nonsense about “grunge” that keeps drifting back to Warrant and hair metal falling victim to MTV’s demise etc. At some point people are going to dissolve into jest and humor...I’ve already stated a disclaimer against any handicap. This site is dead...I get it. I actually like a lot of hair metal- if you’re trolling, kudos...if not, it helps to lay off the extreme opinions. It’s just music :whistle:

Oh...you’re engaging...trust me. It just seems your message is “fabricated” and I got the nagging suspicion we’re being trolled...you can’t drum on with repetitive David Attenborough length nonsense about “grunge” that keeps drifting back to Warrant and hair metal falling victim to MTV’s demise etc. At some point people are going to dissolve into jest and humor...I’ve already stated a disclaimer against any handicap. This site is dead...I get it. I actually like a lot of hair metal- if you’re trolling, kudos...if not, it helps to lay off the extreme opinions. It’s just music :whistle:
I know I shouldn't get upset, but I am.Everything is trolling to someone now days.I find that if someone does not agree with me, then I am allegedly a troll. You want to control a conversation Nate. Accusing someone in an open forum is quite toxic.The problem is, some people here think somebody disagreeing with them is automatic trolling.

Yeah, Ratt and Dokken are hard to fuck with...
Ratt was one powerful act in the 80's. "Round and Round" is a absolutely PERFECT song. Wanted Man is a killer intro tune into Out Of The Cellar. I saw Ratt live back in the day. I’m afraid to play any of my Ratt cassettes because I fear they might disintegrate! I wore those things out 25+ years ago and I guess I’m lucky to even still have them. Love Dokken and have all their stuff. Don Dokken is the Phil Mogg of Heavy Metal. Just fantastic melodies.

Reactions: Nate Skalman
Grunge was created because the kids couldn't compete with the better musicians from the 80's. Like testing scores, they dumbed it down.
I agree with you. I have never considered Grunge as a true genre. The actual music made by "grunge" bands is not easily or consistently distinguished from bands in the wider rock genre. It was all thrown into the more comprehensive ¨alternative¨ bag later in the 90s. It was a fashion description that got transferred to the music to make it easier on lazy magazine writers and marketing departments. That the term came to describe almost any band from Seattle was a bit ridiculous. None of them sounded the same. I mean, Alice In Chains had next to nothing in common with bands like Nirvana or Pearl Jam. We keep forgetting/ignoring how Rock was reduced to being on life support thanks to Grunge. Celebrate the death of "hair metal" all you want but in the process Rock was reduced to a status it has yet to recuperate from commercially and artistically. Not something I want to celebrate.

Ratt was one powerful act in the 80's. "Round and Round" is a absolutely PERFECT song. Wanted Man is a killer intro tune into Out Of The Cellar. I saw Ratt live back in the day. I’m afraid to play any of my Ratt cassettes because I fear they might disintegrate! I wore those things out 25+ years ago and I guess I’m lucky to even still have them. Love Dokken and have all their stuff. Don Dokken is the Phil Mogg of Heavy Metal. Just fantastic melodies.

If you would’ve just started a ‘hair metal appreciation’ thread, the outcome would’ve been different...