I hate grunge.

there are now, sadly, hyper-visual, youtube-obsessed kids that won't even listen to a song unless they can find a youtube vid for it
when the song "ice-ice-baby" played in that commercial, there was a nightclub dj who was just old enough to remember the song from childhood, but he couldn't quite remember the exact year the song came out, so when the song was in that Dentine Ice commercial, he thought the commercial was playing it because the song had turned 20 or 25 years old, he thought the song was in the commercial because of the anniversary of the song, now that wasn't so bad, i guess, but when he played the song the next time he went to work, (regular dj at a night club) i was there listening to him play it, and there were some dumb-ass 18-year-olds who recognized the song from the commercial, but, because they had no knowledge of any music more than 10 years-old, they got super-excited to hear the song that they thought was specifically made for the commercial playing in a nightclub, it made me feel old-as-hell even though i couldn't have been more than 12-13 years older than those dumbasses
Part of the problem in my opinion is that rock and metal fans nowadays don't really want the bands they like to be popular. So many rock fans are so dead set against anything popular that as soon as a band that they like begins to get popular, they call them sell outs and abandon them (and I'm not talking about bands that are actually selling out, I'm talking about the ones that keep their sound yet lose fans just because they begin to grow in popularity). My son says that there are many rock/metal bands doing interesting things now, it's just that their sound is either too far out there to ever become popular or their fans often abandon them when they begin to gain some form of tangible popular success. I feel like too many rock/metal fans have become more concerned with being different from what is popular than actually allowing their genre of preference to have a shot at mainstream success. On the other hand, it's not surprising that hip-hop is doing so much better given that hip-hop fans don't care if their artists are successful. In fact, bragging about being successful is a major aspect of the culture and as a result, hip-hop fans like it when artists they like talk about being successful. Whereas in rock music, being successful seems to be a big no for some reason. Just my take on the situation and I'm certain there are other factors involved as well, but this is a big one in my opinion. My son says that there is a rampant gatekeeping and mind-blowing elitism in rock, punk, and metal nowadays and that elitists keep new people from exploring and liking the genre and consequently, the genre doesn't grow (in terms of mainstream success). The elitism only grows stronger as hip hop and pop music grows more dominant. That's the sad truth. This is a huge problem. People who listen any form of Rock should respect and be proud that their bands are getting recognition.

Last edited:
Part of the problem in my opinion is that rock and metal fans nowadays don't really want the bands they like to be popular. So many rock fans are so dead set against anything popular that as soon as a band that they like begins to get popular, they call them sell outs and abandon them (and I'm not talking about bands that are actually selling out, I'm talking about the ones that keep their sound yet lose fans just because they begin to grow in popularity).

How is this a problem if the band is therefore getting more attention, more sales, and more concert attendance? I dont think there are that many fans who play the elitism card like you are talking about, and either way it doesnt seem to hamper a band's mainstream success. Take the more somewhat recent mainstream metal sensation Ghost. There are a variety of reasons why they have fallen out of popularity in metal/rock circles, but yet they still attract more attention than ever. Then again, they kind of are sellouts. Im not sure if what you are saying actually happens. Most bands mature and change their style over time. Some people gravitate towards it, others dont.

My son says that there are many rock/metal bands doing interesting things now, it's just that their sound is either too far out there to ever become popular or their fans often abandon them when they begin to gain some form of tangible popular success. I feel like too many rock/metal fans have become more concerned with being different from what is popular than actually allowing their genre of preference to have a shot at mainstream success.

Well, just maybe artistic creativity and integrity is more important to these bands than simply gaining success in the mainstream? I don't exactly abandon a band I supported when they become popular, but I do try to support bands that arent very popular and would otherwise fizzle out and die if fans arent supportive. A band like Megadeth or Metallica for instance would do just fine if I didn't buy their cd or go to their next show, but [insert underground metal band here] may not be able to afford to continue if they don't see some support from the fans.

On the other hand, it's not surprising that hip-hop is doing so much better given that hip-hop fans don't care if their artists are successful. In fact, bragging about being successful is a major aspect of the culture and as a result, hip-hop fans like it when artists they like talk about being successful. Whereas in rock music, being successful seems to be a big no for some reason. Just my take on the situation and I'm certain there are other factors involved as well, but this is a big one in my opinion. My son says that there is a rampant gatekeeping and mind-blowing elitism in rock, punk, and metal nowadays and that elitists keep new people from exploring and liking the genre and consequently, the genre doesn't grow (in terms of mainstream success).

Nah. I think that time has just proven that metal/punk just doesnt have mainstream appeal anymore. Even back in the day, bands got mainstream success after introducing pop hooks and catchy melodies, which are things that are generally frowned upon in the genre. Not because of elitism per say, but it just simply isnt what these types of music are about.

Plus, the music industry has changed dramatically in the meantime. People can use the internet to find music that caters to their interests much more easily than in the past. The industry has become diluted in a sense, so you can now see the types of music that people generally flock to. And as you said earlier, kids are far less interested in music than they were in the past.

Part of the problem in my opinion is that rock and metal fans nowadays don't really want the bands they like to be popular. So many rock fans are so dead set against anything popular that as soon as a band that they like begins to get popular, they call them sell outs and abandon them (and I'm not talking about bands that are actually selling out, I'm talking about the ones that keep their sound yet lose fans just because they begin to grow in popularity). My son says that there are many rock/metal bands doing interesting things now, it's just that their sound is either too far out there to ever become popular or their fans often abandon them when they begin to gain some form of tangible popular success. I feel like too many rock/metal fans have become more concerned with being different from what is popular than actually allowing their genre of preference to have a shot at mainstream success. On the other hand, it's not surprising that hip-hop is doing so much better given that hip-hop fans don't care if their artists are successful. In fact, bragging about being successful is a major aspect of the culture and as a result, hip-hop fans like it when artists they like talk about being successful. Whereas in rock music, being successful seems to be a big no for some reason. Just my take on the situation and I'm certain there are other factors involved as well, but this is a big one in my opinion. My son says that there is a rampant gatekeeping and mind-blowing elitism in rock, punk, and metal nowadays and that elitists keep new people from exploring and liking the genre and consequently, the genre doesn't grow (in terms of mainstream success). The elitism only grows stronger as hip hop and pop music grows more dominant. That's the sad truth. This is a huge problem. People who listen any form of Rock should respect and be proud that their bands are getting recognition.

in this^^^ post you should replace the phrase "rock and metal fans" with the phrase "horrorcore fans and Juggalos"
seriously, for the fans of ICP, Tech9ne, any artists on the fucking psychopathic record label, the fact that they don't get radio/MTV play is the thing that the "hardcore juggalos" like about the bands, if any of these artists got onto radio/MTV, the juggalos would consider them "sellouts"

senility is a very serious think
i'm still under 50, i think
How is this a problem if the band is therefore getting more attention, more sales, and more concert attendance?

it's a thing with Juggalos, but i don't know if it's really that much of an issue with people that aren't fans of horrorcore

Reactions: Trodden
Grunge was created because the kids couldn't compete with the better musicians from the 80's. Like testing scores, they dumbed it down.

I guess that explains why Soundgarden could sell a lot of tickets and albums through out their career and 80's glam bands are on celebrity rehab talking about the good ole days

Tickets for the Temple of the Dog reunion tour also sold out within a few minutes after they were made available.

Reactions: Trodden
I guess that explains why Soundgarden could sell a lot of tickets and albums through out their career and 80's glam bands are on celebrity rehab talking about the good ole days
Guns n Roses "Not in This Lifetime" tour was 2016's highest-earning per-city global concert tour as well as the fourth-highest-grossing overall that year. In 2017 the tour ranked as the second highest grossing worldwide tour. Also the tour is fourth highest grossing tour of all time.

Guns n Roses "Not in This Lifetime" tour was 2016's highest-earning per-city global concert tour as well as the fourth-highest-grossing overall that year. In 2017 the tour ranked as the second highest grossing worldwide tour. Also the tour is fourth highest grossing tour of all time.

the fact you put 'Guns' on the same level as Dokken, Whitesnake, Poison, Warrant, etc shows your weird view on music

Im not even a Guns fan, but their songs are still on the radio and you never hear the rest of the 80's glam bands unless its one of those 'remember this song at your high school dance' parts radio stations play every once and a while

Guns and Roses were great musicians who wrote some songs that still sound good

I dont even like Motley Crue, but I will admit Mick is a great guitarist who could write a decent riff and solo, unlike the rest of the rock bands at that time

but Slash definitely stands out as a great musician who wrote some amazing solos

I dont really listen to Guns, but I respect their ability to write good songs.

but in no were the rest of the glam bands on Guns level

the fact you put 'Guns' on the same level as Dokken, Whitesnake, Poison, Warrant, etc shows your weird view on music

Im not even a Guns fan, but their songs are still on the radio and you never hear the rest of the 80's glam bands unless its one of those 'remember this song at your high school dance' parts radio stations play every once and a while

I dont even like Motley Crue, but I will admit Mick is a great guitarist who could write a decent riff and solo, unlike the rest of the rock bands at that time

but Slash definitely stands out as a great musician who wrote some amazing solos

I agree with you on that. At the time I never thought of G n R in the same realm as Poison and Warrant and other Glam Metal bands. I remember the first time I heard Welcome To The Jungle.

I knew right away something wasn't right. It wasn't the music I had grown up with. It had a genuinely remorseless sneer to it. The wink and nod with a sly smile never materialized. I think the real disconnect here is that some folks don't understand that Heavy Metal was immensely popular in the 80's/early 90's. And thus it was the trend setter when it came to fashion. Look at early pics of Metallica. James Hetfield could have passed as Steven Adler's brother.

Oh, and one of the reasons so many bands wore spandex was because of how well the material held up. Most bands wore spandex or leather for that exact reason.

no one is actually a fan of ICP

they're just fans of meth, terrible tattoos, and fat chicks who watch professional wrestling
images
Juggalo-march-GettyImages-848211338.jpg

]
see-gathering-faygo.jpg
upload_2018-5-1_17-44-37.jpeg
drugbridge12.jpg

upload_2018-5-1_17-48-37.jpegupload_2018-5-1_17-48-55.jpegupload_2018-5-1_17-49-8.jpeg
e2528z08jnau5ivfvbpk.jpg
images

Imagine_f0daa2_85415.jpg
bd62ab74599c6077925b89f20c5cd284.jpg

Axl said Nazareths Love Hurts was the song that got him singing in his higher register. And he was also a fan of Grand Funk. Sang Bad Time before SCO'M at alot of the shows on the UYI tour. And i think GNR covered them in '85 or '86 also. Pretty sure Slash was a fan of UFOs Strangers album too. I know that UFO, Zepplin, Aerosmith, Sabbath were big influences on Slash but they were not the only ones. As far as the other guys there were many bands that influenced them to become interested in playing music. I know that Izzy had different kinds of influences some for the way the band looked and some for the way the band sounded. I guess you can say that the NY Dolls and Hanoi Rocks had something to do with the way Izzy used to look but in the end it was a mix or Rock Hard Rock Punk and blues that rubbed off on the guys and they each put in something that ended up being park of the puzzle that made GNR work the way they did.Blues rock was a key part in their sound, especially for Slash who idolised a lot of blues rock bands and artists. They’re songs on AFD have a punk energy around them (as well as the band’s 80s and early 90s attitude), but I wouldn’t consider them a punk rock band. Actually, their album THE SPAGHETTI INCIDENT is a significantly punk rock cover album. They blended a lot of different styles, pulling from the Stones, Alice Cooper, FEAR, the Crue, Aerosmith, Dillon. Slash played blues, Duff was a punk guy, Izzy had some folk influence, and Axl… well it depended on the day, but he idolized Copper and Jagger, but even consulted Skynard albums to find the right feel for his tracks.

in this^^^ post you should replace the phrase "rock and metal fans" with the phrase "horrorcore fans and Juggalos"
seriously, for the fans of ICP, Tech9ne, any artists on the fucking psychopathic record label, the fact that they don't get radio/MTV play is the thing that the "hardcore juggalos" like about the bands, if any of these artists got onto radio/MTV, the juggalos would consider them "sellouts"

i'm still under 50, i think

it's a thing with Juggalos, but i don't know if it's really that much of an issue with people that aren't fans of horrorcore
Extreme Metal does not represent all Metal. It is pure garbage aside from a few bands like Bathory, Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom, Death and Morbid Angel. The really good Metal is the stuff that is true to its roots. I'm talking Classic Metal, Power Metal, Progressive Metal, Symphonic Metal, Groove Metal, Speed Metal, Thrash Metal, Glam Metal, Stoner Metal, Doom Metal etc.

I hate GNR and I die a little inside every time that I see someone compare Tim Baker or Eric Wagner to Axl Rose.