I hate grunge.

One in a Million > every Belle & Sebastian song

The quality of the bands that they influenced and the manner of influence that they had is not the topic at hand. They definitely influenced a huge amount of alternative bands and not solely grunge as he claimed. They also had a pretty large influence on popular culture in general.

I'm not defending the band's originality in any way because I'm not even a Nirvana fan. I would never dispute that a lot of what they did was done better by other bands.

But "alternative" in American lingo frequently means some of the most musically unremarkable rock bands of the 90s and early 00s. No one cares that AC/DC influenced a hundred Krokuses, Steelhearts, and Jackyls, so why should anyone care about Nirvana influencing a hundred Seethers and Puddle of Mudds? You did say "they clearly influenced a lot of later bands in many different styles of music"

Reactions: Nick1975
rolling stones, led zeppelin, and guns & roses all suck
G n R were one of the best rock bands of the 80's and 90s and had a great run. Appetite is one of the best debut rock albums and the Illusions are filled with fantastic tunes. A magic brew of inspiration, blood, sweat, tears, anger, tenderness and swagger. Oh alright, and a teensy bit of narcotics. I think The Spaghetti Incident is really, really underrated. "Appetite for Destruction" is one of the finest albums of the 80s in my opinion. Still sounds fresh today. Whatever you want to say about what followed but Appetite For Destruction still remains one of the most explosive debuts of all time, not many bands sounded this hungry and dangerous as G'N'R did in 1987. But I wish they released a great album in late 1990s as well. As much as I love the sprawling and epic Illusions, they were released the same month as a certain album that changed everything.

guns n roses suck

edit: i mean, some of the stuff is decent musically but goddamn the singing is so bad

FKN GUNNAZ MAAATE

They were the ultimate ‘bogan that thinks he likes metal but finds Metallica to be just noise’ band of my youth. Fuck them and their bloated arrogant cocked of a vocalist.

guns n roses suck

edit: i mean, some of the stuff is decent musically but goddamn the singing is so bad
I would appreciate your opinion on this. KISS or Aerosmith.I love both. Aerosmith is great, I've got all their albums.
When I think of Aerosmith I think of the version that defined hard rock in the 1970s. Aerosmith had the best songs, but Kiss wins hands down as a live act. I give the nod to Aerosmith as far as studio output but not by a large margin. Live albums Kiss wins handily. Live in person Kiss wins handily.

I would appreciate your opinion on this. KISS or Aerosmith.I love both. Aerosmith is great, I've got all their albums.
When I think of Aerosmith I think of the version that defined hard rock in the 1970s. Aerosmith had the best songs, but Kiss wins hands down as a live act. I give the nod to Aerosmith as far as studio output but not by a large margin. Live albums Kiss wins handily. Live in person Kiss wins handily.
Kiss by a mile. I only like a couple Aerosmith songs.

70s Aerosmith albums are good, man. I came around on that band a while ago and I hated them for years. I think CIG told me to check those albums out.

I only have one KISS album and it's alright. I'll probably check out Destroyer at some point but not a band I plan on really getting into but not bad like people make out here. Mort not liking good 70s rock doesn't really surprise me though.

70s Aerosmith albums are good, man. I came around on that band a while ago and I hated them for years. I think CIG told me to check those albums out.

I only have one KISS album and it's alright. I'll probably check out Destroyer at some point but not a band I plan on really getting into but not bad like people make out here. Mort not liking good 70s rock doesn't really surprise me though.
Who do you like better? Priest or Maiden? Maiden by a country mile for me. I just think more of their material has held up over the years. I have so many t-shirts and memorabilia that I probably put Steve Harris's kids through college. Although I do like both bands.
Priest IMO have not as good songs as Maiden, I generally like every song or all but one song on a Maiden Album, but on Priest Albums apart from the first three albums I generally only like about 5 songs per album, although Rising I did like them all!!

Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, and Powerslave are definitive. The early stuff is great. But the early stuff with Paul D'Anno is very different than with Bruce Dickinson. I've been a Maiden fan for over 30 years.

Does anyone prefer the first two Maiden albums, S/T and Killers, over the rest of the stuff they have done? I just find those first two albums to be very unique in sound and style, they don't sound like Maiden with Bruce at all, obviously in vocals but even with the music, it's completely different. I think those first two records to me, really do feel like a true fusion of punk and metal. Just like Motorhead, I think the first 2 Maiden albums were total fusion of punk and metal. But I guess a lot of the early new wave of british heavy metal was kind of like that.
The debut is raw and dark, and it's interesting to hear Maiden at a point where they hadn't quite found their voice, although they were close. It's a great, if slightly flawed album. Killers, imo, is better, more confident, with Maiden having at that point developed what I would consider their trademark sound.

Reactions: PrincessHades
Does anyone prefer the first two Maiden albums, S/T and Killers, over the rest of the stuff they have done? I just find those first two albums to be very unique in sound and style, they don't sound like Maiden with Bruce at all, obviously in vocals but even with the music, it's completely different. I think those first two records to me, really do feel like a true fusion of punk and metal. Just like Motorhead, I think the first 2 Maiden albums were total fusion of punk and metal. But I guess a lot of the early new wave of british heavy metal was kind of like that.
The debut is raw and dark, and it's interesting to hear Maiden at a point where they hadn't quite found their voice, although they were close. It's a great, if slightly flawed album. Killers, imo, is better, more confident, with Maiden having at that point developed what I would consider their trademark sound.

Yeah but Bruce is a better singer. The only reason id say that though is because those two albums have more feel to them. The Number of the Beast is an underrated album though. After that the Bruce stuff is great too.