I hate to say this but

Originally posted by Izzy Junior
They probably had to rehearse these songs and these songs alone for months just to make sure they didnt fuck up.

Opeth? Rehearse?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!

That's a good one...

If they'd rehearse than their would probably be some new songs and everyone would stop whining...

I can't be bothered to read interviews. I'd just think it'd take a lot of rehearsal to not fuck up the song. I don't mean necessarily play the part wrong, more forgetting what part goes where, heh. It's easy to forget.

Originally posted by Wallet Boy
Most of your review was honest and spot-on, but what on earth are you talking about above? Nasal ultra soprano?? Rapping?? Spikey hair and chain wallets...who the hell cares what two guys in the crowd that you decided to generalize about were wearing??

The thing I don't get about Paradise Lost haters of the new material, is that if the band wanted to succumb to popularity, they would have just put out Draconian Times sequels until the end of time...That's when they were most popular. If you hate it, that's fine, some of the new material is not nearly as strong as their older stuff. But to say that they jumped on some nu-metal bandwagon is ridiculous, because they started their new sound somewhere in late '96 when they recorded One Second.

I apologize, like I said, the 'review' wasn't very like me. I was just..I donno, I was in a horrid mood after all that. I didn't mean to make such a sweep, and by no means did I mean PL hopped on the nu-metal bandwagon. I meant to say (and should have phrased this better) that their new stuff, even if it came before the trend, still sounds like alot of what's out there and I feel what they achieved in the Draconian Times era was brilliant music. What they do now.. It's repetitive. Very repetitive and just kinda lacking the punch the old material had (with a few exceptions). The first two songs I got very excited over but atfer that... TO sum it up: I would have enjoyed them if they were to have kept their original set time. 50 minutes of them just wasn't a treat.

Oh, and to clarify about the mall-core kids I was taking about: There were a group about 6 strong of them to the left of us who gave no respect to any of the opening acts, just smirked and made jest of them. The least you can do is clap for a band that's getting up there and doing their best. Hell, I clapped after every PL song despite the fact that my patience was wearing very thin. I kept my comments to myself until the very last song when the kid was like "PLAY MORE!!!"

Izzy, I'm aware what concerts are like but we weren't up against the railing...we were 2 or 3 people back, and that's why it took me by such suprise. I'm actually in goodshape with the railing, I just grip and push...had nothing to grip OR push where I was besides hair and shoulder blades. And about hitting the girl. Apparently I DID hit her, turns out she was a friend of one of my friends there and she got in touch with me today and we swapped apologies. She didn't realize what she was doing (she coulda moved over a bit but we patched it all up) until I start flailing at her. Didn't hit her hard, though, luckily. I thought I did. In retrospect: How hard could I have really hit someone with no air in my lungs? But yeah when the flailing commenced she realized what was up and it's all good now. Was concious for Drapery Falls, Godhead's, Bleak and Demon so I can sleep easy. I'm glad I got to apologize to her, though. Don't like being hostile, even if the hostility is flailing away with no air in my blood :)

The sound wasn't too bad at the show, wasn't the best but by far wasn't the worst. The parts Peter kept messing up I think were partly due to his axe not staying in tune correctly. Mikael's vocals were dead on, though, dead on. Only heard him make a mistake once or twice guitarwise as well.

Is it just me or did the drums (excluding snare and cymbals) sound rather hollow?

edit: the Nasal-soprano and rapping comment was related to the fact that by the end they (being PL) were really starting to remind of the heavier songs by one Linkin Park. Maybe they'll be better in philly, I'll always give any live band a second, third, fourth, etc chance. I know what it's like to have off-nights.

...some do seem to be nerds. I dunno though I dunno if I would say I am any type of person. I am just me and like Opeth as a band the best cause their music has always been able to do it for me. I am into all types of metal though really. The energy in the songs is nice. I'll have to agree though those damn opening bands except for Brave really were annoying as hell. Especially Paradise Lost, I had heard their older stuff and was like wow! and I was expecting that or hoping for it but no, damn they were terrible and would not stop. It was like song after song, but when Opeth started to play I got all my energy back, mind you I had a coat on the entire night, a thick one. Oh well though it was beyond worth it.

One thing that kinda bugged me was there was this guy I saw there that was a complete geek. I mean he'd put Bill Nye to shame. But somehow his girlfriend was probably the hottest chick there last night. .

What is wrong with you people??

I always enjoy going to underground metal shows because everyone is welcome, anyone can fit in.

You guys are more than a little elitist if you feel that someone doesn't belong at a show because of the way he/she looks. And to say it actually BOTHERED you?? Wow.

Where's the open minded acceptance of other metal fans, regardless of their apperance or dress?

God damn a lot of Opeth fans are annoying. My main problem? Tonight, everyone kept shouting what song they wanted the band to play. It's like they've never been to a concert before. Newsflash: Opeth, nor any band, will change their setlist just because some random person decides to shout out what their favorite song is.

Anyway, it was a good show other than that.

Some people are just really ignorant. I''ve had this happen when people shouted out "PLAY _____" when it wasn't even a song by the band that was playing, or in their style.

Originally posted by dolphz
What is wrong with you people??

I always enjoy going to underground metal shows because everyone is welcome, anyone can fit in.

You guys are more than a little elitist if you feel that someone doesn't belong at a show because of the way he/she looks. And to say it actually BOTHERED you?? Wow.

Where's the open minded acceptance of other metal fans, regardless of their apperance or dress?

I think you missed my point there, buddy. Though, yes, seeing extremely geeky people headbanging along to that music does bug me. Call me shallow, narrow minded, whatever. I just think collared shirts have no place at a metal show.

I have to agree that last night's show definitely brought together a myriad of different folks. I'm more than happy to see people embracing metal, but there is one "sect" of fans that I don't care for: scene-whores. Yanno, the girls that are dressed up like they should be a different kind of club. They don't rock out, clap, or even nod. They just stand and wait. Shameful stuff.

But, it is amusing seeinf the looks on their faces when the metal starts aflowin'. Classic.

Originally posted by Elysian Blaze
I have to agree that last night's show definitely brought together a myriad of different folks. I'm more than happy to see people embracing metal, but there is one "sect" of fans that I don't care for: scene-whores. Yanno, the girls that are dressed up like they should be a different kind of club. They don't rock out, clap, or even nod. They just stand and wait. Shameful stuff.

But, it is amusing seeinf the looks on their faces when the metal starts aflowin'. Classic.
I seem to be the only girl who wears band shirts to shows, rather than slutty goth outfits. :lol:

This tiny little Asian dude went crazy for Demon of the Fall on the back right of the floor. He was flailing everywhere. Great stuff! Didn't look metal at all. I love those surprises. :D

Are any of you the Indian dude by the right speaker who knew the words to every single song? You rock.

Originally posted by Lina
Are any of you the Indian dude by the right speaker who knew the words to every single song? You rock.

Was he kinda big, with short black hair and a beard and glasses? I know him through a woman I used to work with. He's got the Opeth O on his arm, he's a cool guy.

I have been to many concerts in 20 some years in which the bands were open to playing almost anything in their history and often changed what they might have played because the crowd requested a certain song.

I will say it is silly at an opeth show as we know what their set list will be each night.