I have a question that's prolly gonna sound stupid...

OfSinsAndShred said:
...Dream Theater's AMAZING. Wow. Check out some of their stuff. I prefer anything from the "Images and Words" through "Scenes from a Memory" albums, but it's all really good.

Good reccomendations, I'd mention Awake as well, and check their song A Change of Seasons (released on an EP of the same name).

Dream Theater can pretty much be credited for pioneering the sound of modern progressive metal, much in the same way you can say Helloween pioneered the sound for power metal.

A vast majority (but not all) of progmetal bands today owe their sound to Dream Theater, particularly the album "Images and Words".

Yngvai X said:
Good reccomendations, I'd mention Awake as well, and check their song A Change of Seasons (released on an EP of the same name).

Dream Theater can pretty much be credited for pioneering the sound of modern progressive metal, much in the same way you can say Helloween pioneered the sound for power metal.

A vast majority (but not all) of progmetal bands today owe their sound to Dream Theater, particularly the album "Images and Words".

Shred meant any albums in between the 2 he'd mentioned as well (which includes Awake :p )

Dream Theater are a really great band. They're my second pick... second to SymX :headbang:

It took me a few months of listening to DT to actually start liking them. But now I listen to them every day! (Images & Words, Scenes From a Memory and Six Degrees are my favorites)

Heh, I'm the ultimate DT fanboy here. I'm going to recommend Awake and Scenes From A Memory.

Some of my favorite songs:

Hell's Kitchen (Off of Falling Into Infinity)
Caught In A Web (Off of Awake)
Only A Matter If Time (Off of When Dream And Day Unite)
Metropolis Part 1. (Off of Images & Words)
One Last Time (Off of Scenes From A Memory)
The Spirit Carries On (Off of Scenes From A Memory)
Home (Also off of Scenes From A Memory)
The Glass Prison (Off of Six Degrees)
A Change Of Seasons (Off of A Change Of Seasons)
Stream Of Consciousness (Off of Train of Thought)
Octavarium (Off of Octavarium)

There you go... all 8 albums and the ep covered.

BTW, Falling Into Infinity has some of my favorite songs off of it, even though many consider it to be their worst effort. I thought Octavarium was the least impressive.

Tongue_Ring said:
Who the fucking hell are Dream Theater?
a band that most progressive metal fans claim to be the epitome of the genre, although in actuality they are now fairly outside the circle, so to speak. they were/are very influential.

still worth checking out if you've never heard them, but please please don't become one of their fanboy fools :loco:

Kenneth R. said:
a band that most progressive metal fans claim to be the epitome of the genre, although in actuality they are now fairly outside the circle, so to speak. they were/are very influential.

still worth checking out if you've never heard them, but please please don't become one of their fanboy fools :loco:
I hope you know I've always been joking about that. It's just funny to see people's reactions. DT is actually my favorite band, but I'm in no means a fanboy.

I think their best albums are:
1.Octavarium
2.Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance
3.Falling to Infinity

Just to show that there are people who don't think Scenes, Images and Words and Awake must nessecarly be the best ones.

I think Dream Theater is as 'mainstream' as a progressive metal band has ever gotten. (especially in its genre) If you like symphony x you'll most likely enjoy Dream Theater, their guitarist is like none other... Kinda like MJR for that matter. If you enjoy key's than Dream Theater is probably the most impressive band for that, J Ruddess is a keyboard wiz! If you enjoy awsome drum beats, and massive drum kits than Dream Theater is the band for you lol ;P

I would recomend getting 'Train of Thought' & 'Octavarium' as first albums...Since they're both rather easy to get into. Octavarium being their newist and perhaps least impressive performance, but the album still pwns!

PS: Who ever recomended Image and Words and Change of Seasons is brilliant!

Just get Images & Words and crank it straight through. If, on first listen, Metropolis Part I doesn't put a brown lump in your shorts, you're not a real prog fan and have no musical taste. :kickass:

Then crank Scenes From a Memory straight through. You're now in prog nirvana.

Images & Words set the stage, by far, back in the early '90's. I still remember seeing them live at the 19th Street Warehouse in Lubbock, TX, and then talking to them all after the show. They were fucking fantastic and they've been among my favorite bands ever since I first heard Pull Me Under on the radio driving back from the Strip!

The Yngster said:
this is not a shot at you in any way, but people who dont even listen to metal know who dream theater is, how did you stumble upon SX before them?

I got into SX before DT, cause i saw a little mini lesson from romeo in a guitar magizine and i really liked it, so i googled him and found SX. Which then lead me to DT.