I have found a band that's as good as OPETH

I don't see how people can say that Katatonia is better than Opeth, or vice versa. Their musical styles are so very different that you can't really compare the two.

Both bands are amazing. They play different kinds of music, and both excel at it.

Originally posted by squeegee your third eye
I'm glad somebody else mentioned that! Embarrasingly bad moment. The song works musically, but those lyrics, LOL. Beyond self-parody.

"Tonight's Decision" is good too, but not as many stand-out tracks and too many Cure-like moments for my taste. "Brave Murder" has Mikael, but yet to grab me musically.

Initial reaction is to laugh when something stands out like that, but I do like the music on those songs pretty well now.

And I'm having the same problem with BMD...listening to it right now actually, trying to get used to it....I hope I eventually like iiiit;)
My copy has the EP at the end...For Funerals to Come? I think that's right.

For Funeraaaals to Coooooome.. :heh: Something you said, Beth "...to laugh when something stands out like that." reminds me of how people react when they hear death vocals for the first time. Then...two months later, you can't pry the CD from their hands with a crowbar! I keep that in mind now when something sounds silly.

Not directed towards anyone in particular. What a bunch of know-it-alls we've got here now. :lol: What's happened to this place? Numskin = (Nah, I'm just kidden.) Katatonia's music is definitely an acquired taste. I like it. It's one of the few bands that I could listen to anytime. No question about it.

I thought the author of this thread might have heard some [color=sky blue]Novembre.[/color] I was very pleased after hearing Katatonia for the first time too. I might even have used the same words to describe them to others. Well...hm. No, okay. I wouldn't have. hahaha

GreatPhoenix, when you said "what the fuck? they sound like two completely different bands." I did the same. Brave Murder Day was the first I heard too. I liked it, so I bought Discouraged Ones and Tonight's Decision. It sounded so different than want I expected, I was disappointed...at first. Now, I laugh at that. Those two albums are favorites.

Originally posted by Opet
For Funeraaaals to Coooooome.. :heh: Something you said, Beth "...to laugh when something stands out like that." reminds me of how people react when they hear death vocals for the first time. Then...two months later, you can't pry the CD from their hands with a crowbar! I keep that in mind now when something sounds silly.

hehehe, and isn't it funny that I'm referring to something nearly opposite? Far from death vocals, those silly lyrics are....but I know what you mean ;)

I really like that album though, and I couldn't imagine it being heavy and with death vocals.....hey what are the vocals like on the new Katatonia album....anyone?

Originally posted by pittsyco38
I don't see how people can say that Katatonia is better than Opeth, or vice versa. Their musical styles are so very different that you can't really compare the two.

Both bands are amazing. They play different kinds of music, and both excel at it.

yeah very true. Come on, its ridiculous to say opeth/katatonia is better....
its like saying the Beatles are better then the Stones...... useless and pointless

people, i don't want to be an ass...but again...what's the big deal with katatonia?

this discussion is a total waste of time...we can't compare katatonia with opeth or...maudlin of the well....3 different bands...

if you like best katatonia ok, it's your problem...it's all a matter of personal taste...

my opinion is: katatonia = shit...nothing special...(but again, it's my taste)

peace.

Reactions: Marneus
They write depressing pop-songs... that's their thing now and they get away with it fairly well. The singer does sound like he's trying to sound a little too weak and vulnerable for his own good at times though... like he's disguising his vocal blandness as desperate melancholy. Anyway, that's just my take on it; don't jump down my throat now die-hards.

Originally posted by Cynical Bastard
They write depressing pop-songs... that's their thing now and they get away with it fairly well. The singer does sound like he's trying to sound a little too weak and vulnerable for his own good at times though... like he's disguising his vocal blandness as desperate melancholy. Anyway, that's just my take on it; don't jump down my throat now die-hards.

An astute criticism, well-put; I agree. But that's one flaw which has improved on LFGD. They have many strengths which overshadow his Robert Smith-itis, such as catchy, evocative melodies & rich guitar textures.

Originally posted by Divine Intent
yeah here comes the fucking wannabe opeth fan boys hahahah.
Katatonia is atleast as good or better then opeth.
Just listen to Dance of December Souls,Brave Murder Day or their sideproject October Tide witch is at some points even better then katatonia.

That is one great argument. I don't think I can possibly refute it.

When you make such accusations, you might want to back them up. Besides, what do you expect on an Opeth board? People will most likely prefer Opeth.

Originally posted by
Katatonia are great, but I still think Opeth is better.

The only band I'd say is as good as Opeth is Maudlin of the Well.

There are bands that I like better than Opeth, but I am just getting into Maudlin of the Well, so I am still trying to hear the greatness of which you speak.

Originally posted by Cutter
Sometimes, technicalilty and originality can be thrown out the window in favour of good, honest, black-heart pouring emotion. This is where Katatonia shine...well, they would shine if they weren't so black.

Maybe I undervalue emotion in music, but I think it takes more than just emotion to make something great. There are very few simple bands that I like, because it takes alot to make up for the simplicity, in my mind. I have heard a good bit of Katatonia myself, (LFDGD and some other random songs), and I d find it to be very emotionally focussed, but is that really superior? There is alot more to the world than depression. If an artistic work is to be great, it should represent the things that are truly most important and fulfilling, etc.

In conjunction with this idea, I thought it was interesting when this was said:

Originally posted by kuraikat
but [Katatonia's] is extremely simple music not much different from the abhorred country

Because this kinda shows that Katatonia has a rather similar intent to country music. It greatly appeals to the emotional aspect of the soul, but it kinda ignores the intellect. The great difference, of course, is the type of emotion evoked.

Originally posted by abyssofdreams
on what are you judging? Opeth may be better technicalwise but according to the depth the music reveals Katatonia is way abocve Opeth. But I'm not saying that one band is better than the other one, they're just to different to compare at all...

I'm not sure what kind of depth you are referring to, but if you want to talk about bands with depth and meaning which are well represented musically, Agalloch's Mantle and Emperor's Prometheus kick the crap out of everything else I have heard (except possibly Isis' Oceanic).

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
so, I take it you prefer lyric writers than dress everything up in frilly words and fancy metaphores (read: wankers ), as opposed to lyric writers that are bluntly honest.

I tire of hearing this. If it is hard to understand, then it must be pretentious. If the words are unusual, then it is pseudo-intellegent. I don't really know what you are referring to in particular, but I believe that too many people blow great things off under the pretext that they are pretentious. Agalloch is a great example. I have heard a number of people call them quasi-intellectuals who have nothing better to do than whine, or some such thing. That's a pretty harsh judgement to pass on anything, especially when reliable sources give it credit. Such a statement automatically assumes that the person critiquing the work is far the superior of the creator of the work.

It's pretty easy to call Bartok's music nonsensical and chaotic, but is there actually a pattern to it? Could it represent something that we just don't see? The same goes for T.S. Eliot's poetry.

Originally posted by Ormir
What are you talking about? Katatonia lyrics are extremely blunt. Dance of December souls was quite pretentious (not as bad as Orchid), but everything they've written after 1994 has been very naked.

here you go:

I'm catching flies by now speaking to someone breaking the window
This house is dead, the sound of falling when the pictures are moving between the memories blablablabla

there is nothing easy about it. no-one can ever guess what he is talking about....

Originally posted by Schism
Please tell me how the new The Gathering album is and how did you get it!!

I am a huge fan;)

hehe
yeah its really amazing. there are no more of metal influences innit. Its kinda trip hop now. Its their darkest album they made so far. Its very atmospheric with an important role of the drums. And Anneke excels again of course. And all songs are boss!

I'm convinced they set a new standard again; they did it before with Always (black in 1990, not very common then) Mandylion (first gothicmetal) and How to Measure a Planet (ambient rock)

I just bought it, its released since last week in most parts of Europe.

This is the most evolving band ever. And they keep on with making good music :) :worship:

heh, yeah, and its quite different as well. a really good song.
And the song 'Jelena' is on the disc as well. If you dont know, it was meant to be on the EP as well. These lyrics -written by Anneke- are about a girl, but she commited suicide and they decided for not putting it on the EP. too many fresh memories about the girl.......

BlackParagon said:
I'm going to go buy LFDGD, and something by Maudlin of the Well right now... And they better be good, or so help all of you Katatoniaphiles!

Well, never mind Katatonia... I just received maudlin of the Well's Leaving Your Body Map in the mail and I just have one thing to say about this band:

maudlin of the Well is fucking awesome!

Reactions: Marneus