I have got an idea.

I would love to see Opeth playing MAYH in it's entirety live. but rofl at thinking the quasi-poetic lyrics to a death metal album are SO AMAZING they're worthy of theatre

Dude, let's boil the plots down. We have: guy is dead, stalks his girlfriend around for a short while, realizes she's getting over him, gets angry and scares her, realizes that was a bad move, the end. Yeah, that would definitely translate well into a full length movie. Then we've got guy is coming back to his homeland after being exiled, sees his girlfriend, gets it on with her, finds out she's some kind of nun just in time for her to be killed by religious guys, he gets angry and kills some, they hang him and he is all like IM COMING BACK FOR YOU ALL!, the end. I'd be surprised if they could stretch either into a half an hour, much less something high quality. Album concepts are best left as such.

In still life theres a story about why her was banished (Chilhood/youth/what was his relanship with melinda etc. this could be shown in flashbacks) that is merely the moor. I said inspiration use your imagination, and sl could be made into a movie.

Wouldn't know if this actor thing would work, but i'd be really anxious to see how it works out! But another idea that emerged from this thread grows on me:
Opeth on stage with a full 50-piece orchestra! Imagine the riffs being accentuated by bassoons ans trumpets, violins and strings in the mellow parts, argh! *drools*
Something like Metallica's S&M, but then with Opeth.. I'd give my right nut to see a show like that!

*Imagines the final riff of off Deliverance with the sound of a full orchestra on it*

i dunno mikes lyrics arent that good. thank god the music compensates because i find it hard to read the lyrics without thinking the synonym generator on word has been raped of all its worth.
who expects metal lyrics to be good anyway..

Dude, let's boil the plots down. We have: guy is dead, stalks his girlfriend around for a short while, realizes she's getting over him, gets angry and scares her, realizes that was a bad move, the end. Yeah, that would definitely translate well into a full length movie. Then we've got guy is coming back to his homeland after being exiled, sees his girlfriend, gets it on with her, finds out she's some kind of nun just in time for her to be killed by religious guys, he gets angry and kills some, they hang him and he is all like IM COMING BACK FOR YOU ALL!, the end. I'd be surprised if they could stretch either into a half an hour, much less something high quality. Album concepts are best left as such.

There are great movies based on shorter synopsises than this. But let's say we made a background film for use with the My Arms Your Hearse album as a stageshow. first of all, a film like this wouldn't need a tight focus/plot at all. Many scenes could be colors, patterns, what have you to empower the stage performance. Ghosts moving through the misty forests, grass bending to the wind in slow-motion, trickles of blood, gnarled and twisted branches, a woman's face, peering through a veil, Christ chilling on a cross... the possibilities to visualize the lyrics of the album are endless. And the lyrics to that album are great, and Mikael may have raped the synonym generator but it turned out quite well. Fuck bashing Opeths lyrics!

I'd love to see My Arms Your Hearse this way. I can imagine the movie being black/white and with an "old" quality to it, as if you're looking at the 1922 (or whenever) version of Nosferatu. That would kick big, fat ass. I can already see the rain, the black forest .. the movement in the shadows, the bleakness of the main character being partially visibile as a ghost.. damn someone should make a movie of this

ABSOLUTELY what I thought man ! That would kick-ass ! ! !

Either SL or MAYH would make great movies. If you used the existing plot as a sort of skeleton. Of course, you'd have to flesh it out a bit. Or, a lot, actually (addition of other characters and subplots, etc.). And, seriously....Opeth's music shouldn't be in the movies. Maybe some musical allusions in the score, but no metal. These are classic tales, and with a good script, the right cast and director, of course it could be a good movie.

Either SL or MAYH would make great movies. If you used the existing plot as a sort of skeleton. Of course, you'd have to flesh it out a bit. Or, a lot, actually (addition of other characters and subplots, etc.). And, seriously....Opeth's music shouldn't be in the movies. Maybe some musical allusions in the score, but no metal. These are classic tales, and with a good script, the right cast and director, of course it could be a good movie.

Actually it doesnt have to be a 3 hour long movie. 30 or 60 minutes would be enough to tell the story.And as others have said,illustrations of bleak-images and shadowy figures would fit the story well.