I have got an idea.

I don't think anyone who has seen the horrendous filmed footage of the story dream theater used on their Metropolis 2 dvd could ever support Opeth doing a similar thing. Dream Theater probably had more money with which to pay people to act this stuff out than Opeth would, too.

If it's not pulled off 100% perfectly, it would be meh (see the 2006-2007 Queensryche tours when they did the full stage show of Operation: Mindcrime I and II back to back, with actors etc).

I think this is a wonderful idea, although i agree with most on the thread that it would have to be seemless, and also i personally wouldnt enjoy an actor/cast or anything like that but.. I think if opeth did a couple dates(perhaps made a dvd out of a show) and performed one of these albums in it's entirety with say.. a small orchestra behind them, and appropriate bits between songs just to blend them together well, i think that would be amazing. This would also work well with damnation, i'm not sure if damnation has an overall concept even but just the strings backing them onstage, great shit.

I've often thought of casting/script ideas of an adaption of Still Life. But as said above, i think it would spoil the concept as unlocking it and discovering it for yourself is very rewarding. But if done well, it could be fantastic; as its a great story. Both MAYH and Still Life are great stories. I even read someones script of Still Life, on here, or it may have been on Deviant Art on the Opeth Club page there. I can't remember, was a while ago, but her interpretation was similar to mine and was interesting to visualize. As for it being done live, in a theater i don't think that would work. But with a director who could nail it visually, cast right, enough budget to avoid any cheese and the album playing over the top it could be amazing. Though I think leaving it to imagination and your own interpretation is rewarding enough. Honestly when carefully listening to Still life or MAYH I can imagine it unfold like a film in my imagination anyway; as my own interpretation.

I could see it being done. I wouldn't care honestly its their choice. If done right it'll look good.

I don't think anyone who has seen the horrendous filmed footage of the story dream theater used on their Metropolis 2 dvd could ever support Opeth doing a similar thing. Dream Theater probably had more money with which to pay people to act this stuff out than Opeth would, too.

I disagree - I thought it was very well done. Obviously it's no oscar material, but for what it was (a little something extra for the live show) it was great. It also really helped me in understanding the story.

this clearly wont happen anytime soon as opeth is most likely focusing on promoting the new record and touring and such... as for all you people who say leave it to the imagination, i agree, they are too abstract a concept to make a solid film, however, if someone did something like clips.. .surreal ambient kinda background footage of bleak shadowed characters and forests... i think that could fit well with MAYH or SL

Opeth isn't epic enough, leave these for bands like Manowar or Rhapsody of Fire. Besides, I don't belive the album storylines would be enough to make an entire play alone.

They could do it like king diamond, Mike being the narrator and maybe his wife plays Melinda. He would have to give up his guitar duties though so it prolly wont happen.

Weren´t there some dancers in New York or something like that who danced to deliverance and other pieces of opeth? Id like to see a theatrical performance or a film based on the story of an Opeth album.
But perhaps that could be a future challange for Mikael and the band to write such a piece specifically for the stage... a new era in progressive-music-entertainment!:worship:

^I was just thinking after posting earlier, i wish I had seen the Deliverance ballet performance. If I remember correctly it was before the Chronological show in NY; as a support act and I think they just did Deliverance.

I'd love to see My Arms Your Hearse this way. I can imagine the movie being black/white and with an "old" quality to it, as if you're looking at the 1922 (or whenever) version of Nosferatu. That would kick big, fat ass. I can already see the rain, the black forest .. the movement in the shadows, the bleakness of the main character being partially visibile as a ghost.. damn someone should make a movie of this

I'd love to see My Arms Your Hearse this way. I can imagine the movie being black/white and with an "old" quality to it, as if you're looking at the 1922 (or whenever) version of Nosferatu. That would kick big, fat ass. I can already see the rain, the black forest .. the movement in the shadows, the bleakness of the main character being partially visibile as a ghost.. damn someone should make a movie of this

Yeah, it was 1922. I think. I memorized that, anyway. And then there's the 1979 Herzog remake, which is every bit as good. I'm a Nosferatu-fag.

Say Opeth would come to your town and play the entire album My Arms Your Hearse, from the haunting rainfall of the Prologue to the final notes of Epilogue, with a black/white ghost story on a screen behind the band, you would stay home wanking off to the latest episode of the Teletubbies??
:OMG: