I like metal but very selectively

elephant61`

New Metal Member
Feb 16, 2017
I am not sure of what I like. I have an on off relationship with metal. Sometimes I like it, most times I dont.

You know what my problem with metal is? Extreme metal.

I don't want to like metal. Because when I do, I feel like I need to check the new stuff and often it is too loud or too rough for me to like. And what's with the vocals? There was a time when there was a Rob halford or Bruce dickinson who had a wide range and it was actually pleasant for me to listen to it. Now it is excruciating to hear some of the growling. Jeez, why can't I listen to some normal sounding song if I listen to metal nowadays?

I am just stuck in the Judas priest era and the NWOBHM era that I feel like I can't appreciate anything new anymore.

Sometimes I feel like Venom destroyed metal. I am listening to a lot of the bands late 70s and the early 80s and Venom is the only band which tries to go for the rough approach. Slayer and Celtic Frost followed them I guess and I think Celtic frost introduced the whole shrieky weird vocals thing. It seems that pretty much every band from them on has followed the template of lightning fast beats and unmelodic vocals which I find excruciating.

Recently I liked a song called 666 by Rotting christ. Those are the some of the few songs where I thought the growling suited the song somewhat but I would still prefer clean vocals. \

Can anybody recommend some new bands with the following

Clean vocals
No lightning fast beats where I can't even make out the beats

Reactions: arg
plenty of people here are into new bands who take a lot of influences from the '70s and '80s, so you've come to the right place. i'd try out some of these:
eternal champion - the armor of ire
lethal steel - legion of the night
slough feg - the animal spirits
enforcer - diamonds
doomsword - the eternal battle
briton rites - for mircalla
magic circle - magic circle
high spirits - another night
argus - boldly stride the doomed
portrait - crimen laesae majestatis divinae

For clean vocals Check out:

Artillery - By Inheritance
Watchtower - Control and Resistance
Symphony X - V
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Yngwie Malmsteen - Trilogy
Mekong Delta
Hammers of Misfortune
Iced Earth
Jag Panzer
Spellcaster
Trouble

Have you listened to much Dio?

Plenty more if these are too obvious

Reactions: Talos of Atmora
Hammers of Misfortune is pretty great but they do have some harsh vocals on their first album The Bastard.

Reactions: CiG

Some Metallica-worshipping thrash with clean vocals.

Mastodon
Gojira
Candlemass
Disturbed
Sabaton(actually most power metal)
New Opeth
Avatar has growls but they are quite clear
Kreator
and Demon Hunter