I need head. (Amp head, need help)

so metal, would u recommend that i just get a XXX combo with/out the pedal or go for a 5150 combo with od pedal?

FretsAflame said:
Not atm, but I've heard that a tube screamer pre sounds fucking amazing. Sounds like metalkingdom really knows his stuff though so he'd probably be able to give you a better answer.

I use one when we're recording. Live, well, one of these days I'll integrate it - I have all the parts so I can switch it in/out via midi, I just haven't had time to wire it all up.

However, careful preamp tube choices can give similar results...

^yea actually, this amp would be my first tube ever, so im totally new to the whole concept. what preamp tubes would give a good sound for mid-scooped, bass and treble heavy sound (think CoB, Norther). although not too much because i can still tweak with eq, i think i heard the 6l6's are good for that but i may be WAY off... any suggestions?

6L6s are poweramp tubes, and, yes, those would be the best choice for that - they have a natural "scoop" to them. For preamp tubes (12AX7s), it depends - a lot of people the like Electro-Harmonix, or the JJ "high gain" set from Eurotubes. I've been using a bunch of different Mesa "Russian 2" (Sovtek) tubes, but I may well try one of the Groove Tubes Mullard reissues in my first gain stage, since they're supposedly the shiznit.

so let me just get this straight for once and for all- the preamp is what gives gain/tone/sound and the poweramp is what gives volume? is that correct?

also, are the 12AX7s Electro-Harmonix? which preamp tubes would you recommend for the given sound?

I laugh when ever I hear people bash EMG pickups, I switched from Duncans to EMG actives and it sounds 10000000 times better. Jeff and Steve both used EMG on this godless endeavor and it sounds excellent.

And to the guy who said the guitars started to sound muddy and worse on Dead Heart and up... they switched to 7 string guitars too... when your shredding on that low B it tends to sound a bit deeper and heavier. Between the 7 strings and the Amp settings / distortions used, I think that is what changed their sound... not the pickups.

but that's just my amateur opinion

K-z-H said:
so let me just get this straight for once and for all- the preamp is what gives gain/tone/sound and the poweramp is what gives volume? is that correct?

also, are the 12AX7s Electro-Harmonix? which preamp tubes would you recommend for the given sound?

Yes, even on most amp heads or combo amps you will see "pre-gain" and "post-gain"

Post-gain is pretty much the master volume and pre gain is the pre amp volume, which tends to give you more tone or 'crunch'.

can't answer the second question for you because i have no clue.

K-z-H said:

Correct.

K-z-H said:

Honestly, it depends on the amp - even the same model of amp will respond differently to different tubes. The JJ "high gain" set is a good starting point - cehc it out at Eurotubes.

well, its all kinda overwheliming cuz im totally new, but from what i read a good combo seems to be the JJ ELECTRONIC ECC83 S preamp tubes and JJ ELECTRONIC 6L6GC poweramp tubes, which im thinknig ill put in a XXX.

btw, would it be better to get the tubes replaced or jsut get the od pedal infront?

K-z-H said:
well, its all kinda overwheliming cuz im totally new, but from what i read a good combo seems to be the JJ ELECTRONIC ECC83 S preamp tubes and JJ ELECTRONIC 6L6GC poweramp tubes, which im thinknig ill put in a XXX.

btw, would it be better to get the tubes replaced or jsut get the od pedal infront?

Better tubes = better sound. The stock Peaveys are kinda crappy, usually. So I'd do the tubes first, and if that doesn't get you there, try the OD.

arite, sounds good but how much do you think all the tubes would cost?

metalkingdom, what do u think about this? good idea?

K-z-H said:
arite, sounds good but how much do you think all the tubes would cost?

metalkingdom, what do u think about this? good idea?

The high-gain retube kit for the XXX is $93.00. A Maxon OD808 (the current vogue in pedals to put in front) is around $130.

Get the amp first, though. It may sound fine to you out of the box. This is just an option chain for if you don't find what you want tonally out of it.

Well, first of all, you're probably not gonna need the pedal for the 5150 combo. The 5150 sounds really good right out of the box. Second, Eaeolian is right about the tubes. Peavey stock tubes suck in general, and JJ/Tesla are the big name in tubes now. I just put two new JJ 12ax7's in my Tubefex (anyone remember those?), and there was quite a noticeable difference in tone. I haven't heard the "high gain" JJ's, but I've heard that some amps don't like them very much. I'm gonna get a pair and see what happens.

Jeebo said:
Get a Mesa Mark IV. Best amp in the world...hands down.

Finally someone with some sense here... :) Nothing better than a divorce to score cheap gear.

Tempest said:
I laugh when ever I hear people bash EMG pickups, I switched from Duncans to EMG actives and it sounds 10000000 times better. Jeff and Steve both used EMG on this godless endeavor and it sounds excellent.

And to the guy who said the guitars started to sound muddy and worse on Dead Heart and up... they switched to 7 string guitars too... when your shredding on that low B it tends to sound a bit deeper and heavier. Between the 7 strings and the Amp settings / distortions used, I think that is what changed their sound... not the pickups.

but that's just my amateur opinion

cause duncans are crap...

dimarzio PWNS All...

@ eaolian - does the retube set include both pre and power amp tubes?