I need head. (Amp head, need help)

WinterSolstice said:
BTW, Will: you never got back to me about the guitar Jeff gave you - what kind of pickups and wood is in it?

Ya know... I completely forgot that you asked me that

the pickups are Seymour Duncan... somethingorothers.. not sure of the wood... I'm seeing the band tomorrow night, so I'll ask Jeff if he remembers the pickups and wood type

En Vind Av Sorg said:
Im really not a fan of Peavey's myself either. Tim from Into Eternity gets a very sharp tone from his I've noticed, his solos cut through everything live.

That's the JSX. It's a pretty good amp for cleans and leads, but I don't like the Rhythm Channel tone.

Loomis was using a XXX, and I hate those friggin' things.

I like the 5150/6505, though - I think Arch Enemy's problem with them was using 10s in C#, which is a recipe for mud no matter what you're playing through. The louder those amps are, the better they sound.

WinterSolstice said:
He has before, although I'm sure he didn't think so at the time. He's had a Peavy endorsement before he switched over to Krank, and he uses EMG active pickups in his guitas now. Ever since he started using EMGs (Dead Heart In A Dead World), his tone has suffered tremendously to my ears. And it got even worse on Enemies of Reality - the remix couldn't save it (so the excuse of Kelly Gray's fuck-up doesn't fly). He went from a vicious crunch on the first 3 albums to annoying mud. What's the point of putting active pickups in a guitar with good wood if you're not gonna hear it?

Peavy's tend to be very muddy amplifiers and I'm not into a muddy "nu" tone at all. Almost every single Peavy I've heard that wasn't hot-rodded to sound better was absolute mud. The few people I've heard who were able to get a good tone out of a Peavy is Andrew from My Dying Bride, Eddie Van Halen, and The Amott brothers (to a certain degree, although they used to have somewhat of a muddy tone before they started tweaking it on Burning Bridges). Truthfully, I think Peavys are better suited for doom and grindcore. The warm tubes compliment the music perfectly that way.

I'm glad Loomis switched over to krank. His tone is taking a turn for the far better.

BTW, Will: you never got back to me about the guitar Jeff gave you - what kind of pickups and wood is in it?

ya forgot Carcass ;)

eaeolian said:
That's the JSX. It's a pretty good amp for cleans and leads, but I don't like the Rhythm Channel tone.

Loomis was using a XXX, and I hate those friggin' things.

I like the 5150/6505, though - I think Arch Enemy's problem with them was using 10s in C#, which is a recipe for mud no matter what you're playing through. The louder those amps are, the better they sound.

You know, I own a 5150 combo and a tripleX. I used to love my 5150, but for some reason it actually loses some integrity as the volume is increased. This is not to say that it doesn't sound good, it just loses some ferocity. Regardless, it can be a very touchy amp.

I picked up a triple X maybe... a year ago? I didn't play it too much because I couldn't quite get the sound out of it that I wanted, but after a lot of messing with it I was able to get an amazing sound quality that retains distortion at higher volumes just fine, and cuts through a mix incredibly well. Now I'm actually thinking about selling my 5150 in favor of the XXX.

But I don't want to cause I still love my 5150 :(

But I also love money...

soooo... problem. :lol:

Will Bozarth said:
Ya know... I completely forgot that you asked me that

the pickups are Seymour Duncan... somethingorothers.. not sure of the wood... I'm seeing the band tomorrow night, so I'll ask Jeff if he remembers the pickups and wood type

don't you have a picture of it running around somewhere?

Hah. This thread is starting to get funny. Peavey makes some of the best metal amps that ever exisited. The 5150 is legendary, and probably used more than any other amp for heavy (there's that word again) music. The trick to making it sound really good is to lower the gain, and put an OD pedal in front of it. As a matter of fact, that's what the trick is for getting good sounds out of ALL the high-gain tube amps. The XXX is also a phenomenal amp. It's just like a woman...the more time you spend with it, the more it likes you. Kranks kick ass, and so do Engl Fireballs and Savages. Of course, there's the Mesa's too. The EMG "bad tone" comment above is way off base! You simply cannot beat the sound of those for metal in most situations. Granted, other pu's (Duncans, etc.) can sound great, but the EMG's give a little extra boost for metal, and in a recording situation there's nothing as quiet as active pu's. Jeff Loomis' stuff sounds fucking KILLER on TGE and the remix of EOR! It's pretty fucking arrogant to say that one of the world's best guitarists "doesn't know" what sound or amp he likes.

If you disagree with what I'm saying, then that's your right to do so. But you're not only in disagreement with me (who happens to be a professional producer/engineer), but also in complete disagreement with the top producers/engineers in heavy metal - and we all get paid to do this shit.

maybe. ill have to inspect my guitar closely :p

willaxtraloomis.jpg

this is to fretsaflame and metalkingdom: as mentioned in my other thread I am thinking of getting a new amp. so if i was between a 5150/6505 and a XXX (combos both) which would you recommend more?

and about putting an OD pedal infront of the amp, is that really true about the tone? because thats why i wanted a "metal" amp, so i could do away with distortion or OD pedals!

K-z-H said:
this is to fretsaflame and metalkingdom: as mentioned in my other thread I am thinking of getting a new amp. so if i was between a 5150/6505 and a XXX (combos both) which would you recommend more?

and about putting an OD pedal infront of the amp, is that really true about the tone? because thats why i wanted a "metal" amp, so i could do away with distortion or OD pedals!

Both amps fucking slay but take a lot of work to make them sound right. complete toss up over here - I'm the wrong person to ask atm lol :lol:

metalkingdom said:
Hah. This thread is starting to get funny. Peavey makes some of the best metal amps that ever exisited. The 5150 is legendary, and probably used more than any other amp for heavy (there's that word again) music. The trick to making it sound really good is to lower the gain, and put an OD pedal in front of it. As a matter of fact, that's what the trick is for getting good sounds out of ALL the high-gain tube amps. The XXX is also a phenomenal amp. It's just like a woman...the more time you spend with it, the more it likes you. Kranks kick ass, and so do Engl Fireballs and Savages. Of course, there's the Mesa's too. The EMG "bad tone" comment above is way off base! You simply cannot beat the sound of those for metal in most situations. Granted, other pu's (Duncans, etc.) can sound great, but the EMG's give a little extra boost for metal, and in a recording situation there's nothing as quiet as active pu's. Jeff Loomis' stuff sounds fucking KILLER on TGE and the remix of EOR! It's pretty fucking arrogant to say that one of the world's best guitarists "doesn't know" what sound or amp he likes.

If you disagree with what I'm saying, then that's your right to do so. But you're not only in disagreement with me (who happens to be a professional producer/engineer), but also in complete disagreement with the top producers/engineers in heavy metal - and we all get paid to do this shit.

:lol:

In complete agreeance over here.

I usually hang my gain at around 6-7ish when playing at higher volumes. Interesting thing about the XXX though is that I'm running my high range at about 9, my mid at about 2, and my bass at about 4-5, and it sounds totally sick.

My 5150 though, little different mix. I love the shattering sound I can get from the 5150, but damn if I don't have a feedback problem :( one touchy amp.

so frets, do you use and OD infront of either the 5150 or the XXX?

K-z-H said:
so frets, do you use and OD infront of either the 5150 or the XXX?

Not atm, but I've heard that a tube screamer pre sounds fucking amazing. Sounds like metalkingdom really knows his stuff though so he'd probably be able to give you a better answer.

arite, thanks alot...btw would you be willing to sell either of those two? *looks hopeful*

arite, well if you wanna sell it any time soon then elt me know what your asking price is, cuz im interested

Jeebo said:
Get a Mesa Mark IV. Best amp in the world...hands down.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. It's definitely a good amp, but you gotta work with it maybe even a little more than modern amps. LOG uses Mark IV's, and you better be a really good player too because that thing isn't very forgiving.

5150 combo all the way. Greatest metal 2x12 ever.

Yeah, the TS-9 or Maxon OD-8 (or 808) is what you want in between your guitar and amp head. The XXX is a little tighter than the 5150 and Dual Rectumfrier, so you can get a usuable sound without the OD pedal. The Engl Fireball is the same. But it gets better with a little bit of the OD pedal in front, too.