I need head. (Amp head, need help)

Behringer mixers are NOT decent. Their 8-channel mic pre/AD converter is decent. That's about it.

Yo Tempest - get your Marshall fixed. It probably won't cost that much, and you won't be stepping down in quality like it seems that you're considering.

Loner said:
"Solid state tube amp head"?? Are you talking about something like a Valvestate (12ax7 preamp & solid state power amp), or are you just confused?

No, I dont know why the fuck I put tube in there, I was just referring to solid state heads (like the Valvestate). A tube amp would probably be to expensive for what he's looking at, so a modeling amp through a preamp would serve the purpose.

Will Bozarth said:
i can answer the first part of the question. it doesnt create any sound. it turns on, and when you plug the foot switch in, it doesnt work. my guess is that while traveling, a bump set a few wires loose and disconnected the front panel, minus the power switch. i told him that yesterday, but its up to him to see what he wants to do

Uhh yea, I would say get it checked out first before buying a new amp then. It might be something as stupidly simple as a speaker wire that was dissconected.

Hey everyone, I had a Marshall Valvestate 100 watt solid state amp, its missing a foot so it vibrates off my cab when i play, its missing a power button, and i already had the internal wiring fixed... so fuck that thing, im kicking it to the curb.

Loner, that power block sucks, its exactly what i wanted, 150 watt stereo and I like the small size but the problem is, in order to get it at full volume you need to turn up the gain and that gives it a realyl warm tube sound.. which would be a little too distorted for what i need.. plus.. look at the size of it, it has no room to breathe inside it, they ALL overheat.

I bought a Behringer Europower 2500 last night and brought it home, I cant figure out how it goes into the back of my cabinet yet, and then i think the 1/4 inch output jacks are under this piece of plastic thats screwed in.. so i go to unscrew it and the screws turn but wont come out... so i refer to the manual and it just says "unscrew these 2 screws" so i go back and i keep turning the screws but they wont come out... so im taking it back today and getting a replacement.

I got a 4u rack and power adapter for it, so im gonna go the poweramp route, ill keep the Behringer EP2500 once i figure out how to get it to work :lol:

Valvestates pretty much suck, so I guess I don't blame you. I, in good conscience, could never recommend that you use a pedal/poweramp setup for your sound but I realize that you guys have ongoing gigs and you need to do something. But, I will say that you should start saving your $$$ and get a 5150 (6505) or a Mesa or something good like that. A good amp will change your life.

The new Vox valvetronix heads are good, loud and relatively cheap...$475 for the 100 watt head. If that's too expensive, try to find a used carvin head..that thing will crank!!

Will Bozarth said:
man, GT6's rule :D

I'm not really a fan of those. Especially for live use. They don't sound good. I know some big-time players who use that pedal (Buckethead being one of them), but only plugged in direct in the studio. Every single band out there that we love all use tube amps. Every recording that we enjoy the guitars on are all tube amps (except Pantera). There's a reason for it.

The Valvestate was pretty popular in the early 90's, but then people started realizing that they aren't really tube amps and the sound just doesn't cut it in a live situation.

Hey, I'm just trying to help and give you guys some really good advice. That's all.

metalkingdom said:
Every single band out there that we love all use tube amps. Every recording that we enjoy the guitars on are all tube amps (except Pantera). There's a reason for it.

Dime used the Krank Kranenstein, which was an All tube amp.

Tempest said:
Dime used the Krank Kranenstein, which was an All tube amp.

Dimebag used Randall solid-state amps for his whole career up until the last year.

BTW - I saw Arch Enemy a few days ago, and the Kranks that they used sounded fuckin' sick!

i heard from somewhere that Kranks are severely overrated...has anyone played through one themselves to give an honest account?