I need help to get close to this guitar sound...

markusrise

New Metal Member
Apr 15, 2010
hey what's up! I was watching some CoB cover videos and I came across this one:

I think I saw some ppl from this forum mention this guy's covers on some occasions but didn't get interested enough to check them out... but now that I stumbled across one of his videos I was fascinated by his guitar sound.

Anyway I needed some advice on how to get close to that hi-midrangey sound this guy has... I'm currently recording some Melodic Death Metal songs (kinda Wintersun-ish, CoB-ish + Dark Tranquillity and Insomnium kinda style...) and I wanted to get a similar crystal clear sound for the leads in the recs.

It sounds pretty similar to the old school Alexi sound however it obviously isn't the same sound because for starters he isn't even using a J50BC + JE-1000 setup... the PU he's using seems like a DiMarzio D Sonic dp207 to me plus a little switch that maybe could be a MM-04.

So i've been trying with every piece of gear I have to get close to this sound and I still can't get near enough... the guitar I'm using is a RR24 w/ J50BC + JE-1000 clone. I ran the guitar thru multiple things like: A Krank Rev Plus Half Stack + TS9, a Line 6 Spider III Half Stack, a lil practice 15W Marshall amp + Boss Metal Zone, and lastly but not least thru my computer using the amp sims from the Amplitube Metal software... I've even tried using a simulated EQ pedal to boost the Midrange (Around the 1k freq) and i've also tried playing around with the dip switches on the JE-1000 that I have installed on my guitar to no avail...

so practically I'm pretty much clueless :rofl:... any pointers anyone..?

I considered for a moment swapping the J50BC on my guitar for a dp207 to see if I get better results but I quickly abandoned the idea since I've seen various videos of senior members of this forum using either an ESP/Edwards Laiho Sig guitar w/ EMG HZ H4/H2 + MM-04 or a Jackson w/ J50BC + JE-1000/MM-04 in their guitars and they manage get a pretty CoBish tone similar to the tone this guy from the video has...

Please help! and no bullshit plz!

Last edited by a moderator:
by the way...

I would ask the guy from the video about his tone personally, but the thing is that apparently the guy is Japanese and understands little to no English... (either that or the guy is a dick :rofl: cuz i searched thru the comments in his videos to check if somebody had asked that question before and I indeed found ppl who have asked him the same thing but the guy never replied to them...)

I also asked him about his equipment - no reply.

I wish Alexi would/could play as clean as this guy...

EDIT:

I've searched for some soundclips on my hd and I think I have nearly the same clean tone on the higher strings.

This is an old 5-beer-ETID-recording. Skip the beginning and listen to the tone in the solo and pre-solo. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2960894/Audio FIles/tone test.mp3

And here's the SKO solo which has also a pretty clean tone. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2960894/Audio FIles/lead_Abmischung.mp3

ETID was played through a mesa amp with some peavey 4*12 cab sim (no effects) and SKO through a 5150 with a delay and a boost on the mids between 1000 and 1300 herz.

I think the trick to that old school tone is some good passive pickups. Actually, I know someone with a cheap ass jackson and it has some kind of shit jackson pickup in it but it sounds very similar played through a line 6 flextone amp (amp that Alexi used in that vid with him playing 4 seasons). If I had to guess, I'd say he's playing on some not so fantastic solid state amp. Besides gear, always remember to boooooost the mids. :)

Pretty sure he plays through some ZOOM multi effects pedal thats run direct into an interface or USB line-in or else thats another Japanese guy who does similarly awesome COB covers.

An EQ pedal helps more than you might think. The MXR 10-band EQ is solid and can really help you shape your tone especially to get that upper midrange crunch

An EQ pedal helps more than you might think. The MXR 10-band EQ is solid and can really help you shape your tone especially to get that upper midrange crunch

This!!!!!

Couldn't believe the difference one of these could make until I bought one. I will never get rid of it.

i must agree its an amazing tone. maybe its all about that pickup he´s using =S

That guitarist pwns.

This!!!!!

Couldn't believe the difference one of these could make until I bought one. I will never get rid of it.

:kickass:

I also have the MXR 10 band. Probably the most important pedal I have! :D

i must agree its an amazing tone. maybe its all about that pickup he´s using =S

This is never the case. Your pickup is not that crucial of a tone factor.

Try: At least what I use for cob songs which work
- EMG ALX (Boost OFF)
- BASS: 3~4 oclock
- MIDS: 4 oclock
- HIGH: 1~2 o clock
- GAIN: Adjust yourself
Any amp that is mid~high gain should be able to do this. If you truly want then its just a fk ton of compressing (Alexi's live tone)

If you don't have a similar amp or an effects unit you can set the bass, mids,etc. wherever you want but you won't get a similar tone. ^^

hehehe,

well ive been playing on doing that on kranks, engls, and marshalls :D probably why. But a mid-high range amp should be able to do it. Alexis tone is essentially an 80s tone (if live add in compression to make it more smooth)

I also asked him about his equipment - no reply.

I wish Alexi would/could play as clean as this guy...

EDIT:

I've searched for some soundclips on my hd and I think I have nearly the same clean tone on the higher strings.

This is an old 5-beer-ETID-recording. Skip the beginning and listen to the tone in the solo and pre-solo. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2960894/Audio FIles/tone test.mp3

And here's the SKO solo which has also a pretty clean tone. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2960894/Audio FIles/lead_Abmischung.mp3

ETID was played through a mesa amp with some peavey 4*12 cab sim (no effects) and SKO through a 5150 with a delay and a boost on the mids between 1000 and 1300 herz.

wow arcane, you suprise me everyday more.. could you please explain me what did you use and how did you use it to get that tone?

seriously guys that sound is horrible (due to the youtube video compression I guess) :lol: Wonder how it sounds in rl

Really old thread, but this just caught my eye and I think I found the amp he is using on that video. Ibanez Tone Blaster X series. Does anyone have any experience of them? Do they really sound like that?