I Trollskogens Drömmande Mörker v. 3.0

When I read I understand almost everything but while watching reports or other streams I can only guess what they mean... You Swedes mumble alot and seem to speak quick :D But it really depents on who speaks. Some have a really strange accent what makes understanding quite hard but others speak perfect "rikssvenska" what's like a pleasure ;) :tickled:

"Rikssvenska" = :ill:
Some Swedes talk fast, yes. But we're nowhere near our neighbours Denmark! Those guys talk so fast you can't understand a single word they say...

I cannot understand them either but because of their strange pronunciation ;) Maybe you think they talk fast because their language is so near to Swedish that you think "oh, I should understand them" but you don't. It's like with German and Dutch. Everytime I go there I think "Alright, maybe I understand something" but than I understand only useless crap... ;)

And "Rikssvenska" may really be like :ill: because I think only dialects carry any "soul" within but those "high languages" are fine to learn a language ;)
I'm really sad that where I live the dialect is like.. dead :erk:

Nope. I stand firm within my view that Danish people talk fast. At least, all those I've met. Don't get me wrong though, I like the country as well as the people (although they doesen't seem to like Swedes:p). Even though Danish is closer to Swedish I understand more of the Finnish language. Swedish, Norweigan and Finnish people talk at half the speed of Danish.

When it comes to dialects, I'm glad that we still have lots of these in Sweden. When I lived in Stockholm and was going to buy "snus" (swedish tobaccoshit for those who doesen't understand), I had to pronounce the word over and over again for them to understand what it was I wanted. :D
My favourite dialects in Sweden has to be Norrländska (yeah Mr. V!), Gotländska (that island to the east of Sweden) and Skånska (in the SW corner)...

Maybe those Danes originally come from Italy or Andalusia (in Spain).. :p

I thought about learning Skånsk because I cannot "roll" that rrrrr with my tounge ;) But it may be strange if some foreigner talks a dialect. *thinking about Turkish talking Bavarian :Spin:*

Draugen said:
My favourite dialects in Sweden has to be Norrländska (yeah Mr. V!), Gotländska (that island to the east of Sweden) and Skånska (in the SW corner)...
There's loads of different dialects in Norrland, it's half of Sweden damnit! :p
I agree about Gotländska, it's really beautiful and different. But skånska?! :ill:

amf said:
There's loads of different dialects in Norrland, it's half of Sweden damnit! :p
I agree about Gotländska, it's really beautiful and different. But skånska?! :ill:

Yeah, but you know, I'm from Blekinge, and to me everything above Gävle is norrländska for me...
I know what you mean about Skånska, I've disliked it for the major part of my life, mainly because everyone seems to think that I speak it (which I definitly don't). But as of late, I've begun to sense a certain charm of that dialect. Yet, I don't think that any band singing like that would be any good...
Damn it's cool to speak Swenglish by the way! :D

Draugen said:
Yeah, but you know, I'm from Blekinge, and to me everything above Gävle is norrländska for me...
I know what you mean about Skånska, I've disliked it for the major part of my life, mainly because everyone seems to think that I speak it (which I definitly don't). But as of late, I've begun to sense a certain charm of that dialect. Yet, I don't think that any band singing like that would be any good...
Damn it's cool to speak Swenglish by the way! :D

"Skånska" it´s sooo lovely listen to... For me Gävle is "almost the south of sweden" :tickled: So, you must listen to "real Norrländska"... *LOL* :D
Take this one and think about it :tickled: ..... Mång å oss nöj sä int ve o va nalta lyckle mens ve vänt på å val oläcklet lyckle *Fniss*....
Can be a good thíng to learn in life :p

Draugen said:
My favourite dialects in Sweden has to be Norrländska (yeah Mr. V!

Is this dialect the "old Swedish" that you speak of on your Vintersorg song translation page? :loco:

edit: I see that the old translation page is gone now...

mevyhetal said:
Is this dialect the "old Swedish" that you speak of on your Vintersorg song translation page? :loco:

edit: I see that the old translation page is gone now...
I think the only song that is in norrländska is Otyg - Bäckafärden. The other songs are just full of old words that are not often used now adays. Like Mr V himself said, the lyrics (of Otyg) have parts from many different dialects.

This is pretty interesting stuff for those of us who don't hail from European cultures as you guys do (I'm North Indian, born in London, now living in Sydney, with parents born in Kenya!).

I think your language has some beautiful sounds, I wish I could learn it.

Here's a maybe-stupid question...Do those of us in boring 'ol America have dialects or would our speech patterns just be considered accents depending on where we come from?

America is pretty boring when it comes to speech. Unless you're around New Orleans or something where they speak an odd sort of French.. I'm guessing that's all we've got in the way of dialects though... unless you count ebonics and hillbilly.

Zhanna said:
Take this one and think about it :tickled: ..... Mång å oss nöj sä int ve o va nalta lyckle mens ve vänt på å val oläcklet lyckle *Fniss*....
Can be a good thíng to learn in life :p

Damn! That one's really hard, I think that the first part is "Många av oss nöjer sig inte...[clueless]...lyckliga medan vi väntar på att vara olyckligt lyckliga"???
Is that right? Probably not...:p

Oh well, try some blekingska then:
"Hockens ae denne madelaeden kar?" :D

Draugen said:
Damn! That one's really hard, I think that the first part is "Många av oss nöjer sig inte...[clueless]...lyckliga medan vi väntar på att vara olyckligt lyckliga"???
Is that right? Probably not...:p:
That's about as much as I understood, and that's after spending my first 14 years in Lappland. :)
Is perhaps pitemål? I remember them putting o's before every word.

Draugen said:
Oh well, try some blekingska then:
"Hockens ae denne madelaeden kar?" :D
Haha, not a clue!

ll_Aethyr_ll said:
Here's a maybe-stupid question...Do those of us in boring 'ol America have dialects or would our speech patterns just be considered accents depending on where we come from?
Have a teacher who is from texas, she had a cool accent/dialect. She'd put some word that sounds like "ya-al" between every sentence, wonder what it really meant (ya-al -> you all perhaps)?

amf said:
Have a teacher who is from texas, she had a cool accent/dialect. She'd put some word that sounds like "ya-al" between every sentence, wonder what it really meant (ya-al -> you all perhaps)?

Haha, I remember an interview with Ozzy where he made a big fuss about how much he hated "ya'all". He called it "the MTV success disease" if I remember correctly :D