I wonder what Mike thinks about Agalloch

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Has he ever been asked in an interview or something? The guys in Agalloch earlier in their career were asked about Opeth all the time cause everyone was saying they were like Opeth etc...

So what does Mike think of Agalloch? Just spun The Mantle for the millionth time -- what an amazing band indeed.

Got a link or something? Would like to read...

Don't have a link, but I do remember reading somewhere that he said something along the lines that he thought they weren't as original as people had made them out to be as Opeth had done a similiar thing on Orchid. It wasn't malicious in anyway. I don't think Mikael is that interested in contemporary metal bands from what I can gather.

It seems to me that musicians are divided to people who pretty much stop listening to music that comes out after they release an album and to those who keep on looking for new stuff all the time. Mikael belongs more to the first group while others like Steven Wilson, for example, seems to be familiar with a lot of contemporary music too.

He also loves Porcupine Tree. I think he's just got really high standards, and much of today's music doesn't quite meet up to that. Not that everything older is golden, but the quality of bands coming out in the ol' days was, on average, higher.

Is agalloch supposed to be somekind of wannabe Opeth-band?
That's atleast what i thought, then i listened to The White EP (or something like that).
Which was like 30-40 minutes of boring instrumental acoustic tracks.
o_O

This forum in afucking joke. Someone asks a reasonable question which is quickly pushed to the side to make way for petty squabbling and imature jabs. If you have only bullshit replys i suggest please dont, its silly billy

Is agalloch supposed to be somekind of wannabe Opeth-band?
That's atleast what i thought, then i listened to The White EP (or something like that).
Which was like 30-40 minutes of boring instrumental acoustic tracks.
o_O

Not even close. Agalloch has never been influenced by Opeth. They've stated many times that their influences range from early Ulver, early Katatonia and Fields of the Nephilim.