I wonder what Mike thinks about Agalloch

That makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:
What if you don't even know them?

Due to this forum being filled with stupid degenerate fucking people, everything I say here is basically a satire.

It's a fucking shame a band such as opeth should be subjected to unintelligent immature conversations and topics.

and btw Agalloch > most bands

Edit- this is not meant to smash on you in any way "Nasty-Fire". The answer to your question is: if you don't know them, go listen to them and become one with the melancholy and atmosphere of the pacific northwest with the vast foggy forests and dark, chilling foreboding landscapes

^ Well thanks for the answer, I'm not feeling smashed at all. The only things that bothers me is that "unintelligent immature conversations" followed by "Agalloch > most bands".

And the ocean of shame is you.

Bands like Opeth sure don't give a fuck about those like you who pretend to know what's good and what's bad. I'm quite sure Mikael is rationnal enough to consider what you say as "totally retarded". I don't know Agalloch, it's possible that I'd like them a lot, but even if it was the case, I wouldn't pretend they beat everything else.

Last thing, have you ever thought that maybe, and I repeat, MAYBE it's not this forum that is "filled with stupid degenerate fucking people", but you who's a complete fucktard! Notice that the arrogance shown in my reply has nothing to do with the reply you adressed to me (which was respectful) but your overall opinion/arguments here. Anyway, I'm done for today. Now die.

Perhaps it would be more worthwhile to actually look for a link to an interview somewhere that might actually answer the question at hand instead of bickering for no good reason.

I'm curious to know Mike's opinion on this too, and coming to this thread to complain about not liking Agalloch yourself is irrelevant and a pointless waste of everyone's time (I mean 'yourself' in a general sense, not calling any one person out or anything lame like that).

...then again this is a fucking internet forum so 50% of the people on here are pretty much guaranteed to be worthless pricks. Guess I should stfu and stop wasting my time with that in mind.

Hope someone actually digs something up or Mike will be kind enough to log on and answer it directly from his computer. =]

He actually spoked about this in some Finnish magazine not too long ago, I can't remember the magazine (I think I have it somewhere, but too lazy to find it). He was not praising them, that's for sure.

EDIT - Ok, the magazine was Soundi 1//2009, here's a quote for you: "I heard them (Agalloch) hated Opeth, altough a lot of their songs was obvious rip-offs from our things."

Agalloch is decent, and Mike is allowed to hate them but the notion that they're ripping off Opeth is absurd

Ugh. :erk:

So anyways, I really enjoy Agalloch, at times, more than I do Opeth. They have beautiful acoustic movements with post-rock crescendos and climaxes, complete with the black metal rasp vocals and tremolo riffing.

Agalloch have atmosphere and emotion that no one... well at least myself could never find in Opeth. I'm sure Mike's listened to them at least, he may not like alot of modern music but he enjoys Crimson... and Porcupine Tree.. and Katatonia.

He actually spoked about this in some Finnish magazine not too long ago, I can't remember the magazine (I think I have it somewhere, but too lazy to find it). He was not praising them, that's for sure.

EDIT - Ok, the magazine was Soundi 1//2009, here's a quote for you: "I heard them (Agalloch) hated Opeth, altough a lot of their songs was obvious rip-offs from our things."

If that's Mike you are quoting, then I'd have to say that was a bit disrespectful and false on his part to imply that Agalloch ripped off Opeth.

Pale Folklore shares many similarities to Orchid and Morningrise but at the end of the day PF is closer to a Brave Murder Day than it is to Orchid.

Even newer Agalloch is closer to post rock bands like Isis than it is to Opeth.

I love both bands.

Lyrically, Agalloch is much better. As far as creating beautiful epic movements with simple instrumentation and heavy atmosphere, Agalloch is un-paralleled. In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion spans 14 minutes without ever really changing from the basic tempo and rhythm it starts out with.

Opeth is much more musically technical and their song structures tend to be more varied with unpredictable tempo and rhythm changes.

I would love to see Opeth headline a tour with Agalloch supporting. That would be amazing.

Don Anderson:
"Being compared to these bands like Opeth and Katatonia is fine with us, because for me personally, it's a complement. I don't see the Opeth comparisons. I feel the comparisons to Opeth are only because we use acoustic guitars, melody, and have long songs. But many bands have those same elements. It's just that Opeth is the current band for whom other bands are measured against. In some ways, this is very unfair. But, I'd rather be compared to Opeth than Dark Funeral, or Cannibal Corpse."

They don't hate Opeth, they just aren't influenced by them and their music doesn't sound like Opeth.

Agalloch has a few good songs, but most are boring to me. The riffs sound too similar to each other. The dude's voice is pretty annoying.

Mikael certainly agrees with me, so that should answer the question. lol :)

Don Anderson:
"Being compared to these bands like Opeth and Katatonia is fine with us, because for me personally, it's a complement. I don't see the Opeth comparisons. I feel the comparisons to Opeth are only because we use acoustic guitars, melody, and have long songs. But many bands have those same elements. It's just that Opeth is the current band for whom other bands are measured against. In some ways, this is very unfair. But, I'd rather be compared to Opeth than Dark Funeral, or Cannibal Corpse."

They don't hate Opeth, they just aren't influenced by them and their music doesn't sound like Opeth.
Dude, cool quote. Can you give me a link to the full intie?

I don't hate them, I've no idea what they sound like apart from what I heard on one of their records that was sent to me by their label. Me and Jonas listened to it and all I remember is that we both we're like "next"!
Coming from Sweden, I can't say that I feel a growing need to hear more melodic black metal or whatever you might call it.

But, all luck to them. I'm completely indifferent to be honest...

I'm still lost in the psychedelia but I also started picking up lots of James Brown...btw...check out his dance lesson on youtube. Hilarious!

Now, THAT'S a performer if I ever saw one...

Cheers (in Mexico city now)
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Now we do have a good point of view about the subject. Close thread. ;).

^ By the way, I'm currently totally scared because of that video. You know what, that changed my life more than your music I think.