If In A Used CD Section In A Store and See a Band You Never Heard Of Do You...

Dec 4, 2006
New Jersey, USA
... Check out all the covers to see what looks metal? Once you found the metal album that intrigues you, what makes you decide to buy it? Is the cover, the song titles, the amount of instruments thrown into the band such as violin, keys, female vocals etc? Or is it all the above? Or if I'm missing more reasons, list 'em.

Why do so many of the relatively newer posters feel obliged to create irritating signature collages? Anyone would think it was a requirement of membership!

Incidentally, most of the terrible posters seem to have these signatures/most people with these signatures are terrible posters.

Anyhow - I do think covers are a key factor in attracting attention. I wouldn't say such much in terms of attracting actually, but rather putting off. If I find an album I've never heard of, but it has a really shitty computerized cover, terrible band name, naff logo, silly album titles, that kind of thing, I tend to be turned off. It's not always a sensible thing to go on (I missed the chance to pick up the Anal Vomit album because I thought the band name and naked photos were indicative of shitdom), but I tend to think that a band who has some sense of artistic quality will be similarly tasteful musically.

Reactions: Killbot
I do think covers are a key factor in attracting attention. I wouldn't say such much in terms of attracting actually, but rather putting off. If I find an album I've never heard of, but it has a really shitty computerized cover, terrible band name, naff logo, silly album titles, that kind of thing, I tend to be turned off.

I'm too lazy to type my own response, but this pretty much sums up my opinion on the subject.

Record label also partly influences my decision...if it's a label I like/am familiar with, and the price isn't too steep I'll check it out

I picked up Giant Squid's Metiridium Fields the other day for $2!

Yeah, i buy albums i have actually heard and want... price is the main factor for something i havn't heard.

Label, cover art, song titles/amount of songs, length (if you can tell), etc. all influence my blind purchases (I don't make many though, but these apply also to things I download first before buying).

I love buying CDs I've never heard of. I've found that a lot of times the album art can be a decent thing to go by in making my choices!

Who truely gives a fuck about song titles?

I do.

I don't usually listen to bands which choose to have absurd topics and names for songs, I would rather listen to a musician that takes themselves seriously. What would you think if a band had an album entitled "Rainbows" with a picture of a rainbow on the cover and songs titled "Sucking on lollipops" and "Gingerbread houses" and "Pink frilly things" and "The land of Milk and Honey" :lol: Of course that would be funny, but I bet you wouldn't want to admit liking them :)

Haha good... were the recommenders saying they are good musically or good for a laugh...

I heard Anal Cunt is good, but I didn't bother to check them out because of stupid song titles and their absolutely offending band name. Plus I heard they are grindcore.

lol. Their song titles and band name are the best thing about the band you idiot.