If Mikael knew music theory

I don't like people who use their theoretical knowledge to show off. And that's a problem, there are musicians who think they are better than the others just because they know more theory. Like Van Halen, he knows everything but I still think his music is crap!:rolleyes:

Anyone who says that theory limits their musical creativity clearly doesn't know theory well enough. If you know all the rules, it's much easier to break them - if you want. Or follow them. It's your choice, not the theory's.

Just wanted to say that I pretty much agree with your view on that topic. I wanted to say that already when I read your first post here in this thread.

What I could add is:

When you want to compose music what you need to do one way or another is to study music, but not in the sense that you have to go to the university or something. Just in the sense that you have to work with it in a conscious manner, trying to find out what works and what doesn't. Play around with your instrument, listen carefully and closely to different kinds of music, try to emulate the sound of something that you heard, learn from what others do with their instrument. These are all things you can do without learning to read or write notes or name chords or anything on top of that.

What I could add is:

When you want to compose music what you need to do one way or another is to study music, but not in the sense that you have to go to the university or something. Just in the sense that you have to work with it in a conscious manner, trying to find out what works and what doesn't. Play around with your instrument, listen carefully and closely to different kinds of music, try to emulate the sound of something that you heard, learn from what others do with their instrument. These are all things you can do without learning to read or write notes or name chords or anything on top of that.

Exactly. And this is what I was trying to get at earlier in another post. You learn rules, even though you may not know the technical name for what you are actually doing, you still pick up a lot of stuff just by listening and through trial-and-error.

Knowing the theory helps to find new ways of making music, I believe that's obvious to some point. However, I know just too many classically trained violinists and pianists who don't have a clue about improvisation and actually creating music. If Mikael knew some theory, I guess Opeth's music would be more experimental as he'd knew what can be done, what has been done and what is not considered appropriate amogst some circles. For instance, benefiting from some of the ideas by modernists such as György Ligeti and applying them in Opeth woud sound just sick.

I've noticed that thinking too much about the task at hand usually impairs whatever a person is doing. (In this case thinking entails use of theory). At least with things like music, arts, sports, fucking, etc. It's better to just let the subconscious take over, to channel the Self through one's physical means.

1) Yes, that chord on drapery falls is a cluster, but it does has a name, it's pretty basic chord in fact. A-add9.
2) Who the fuck cares.
3) Mikael knows the difference among minor and major key, some time signatures, etc etc
4) who the fuck cares.

1) Yes, that chord on drapery falls is a cluster, but it does has a name, it's pretty basic chord in fact. A-add9.
2) Who the fuck cares.
3) Mikael knows the difference among minor and major key, some time signatures, etc etc
4) who the fuck cares.

you forgot "5) Who the FUCK cares!" :loco:

Knowing the theory helps to find new ways of making music, I believe that's obvious to some point. However, I know just too many classically trained violinists and pianists who don't have a clue about improvisation and actually creating music.

Yup, many classically trained musicians with good theory knowledge have no clue on improvisation and/or composing - but that's not because of their theory knowledge, it's because they have been taught not to deviate from the form and/or use their theory knowledge in a creative manner. My fiancée is a classically trained violinist, and she's started to pick up improvisation and such only the last 3-4 years (after playing the violin for close to 20 years). Her teachers were, like classical music teachers mostly are, very clear on that you should always play by the rules. But now that she's been freed from that kind of stiff and narrow-minded attitude, she has great use for her theory skills in improvising and composing music.

4808-3857.gif

"I am music theory and music theory is me!"

Oh come one, the whole "theory limits creativity" notion is such bullshit. There are like billions of bands to prove otherwise but despite that some people still like to hammer on that theory knowledge endangers their musical output or something, like all of a sudden their oh so original musical mind goes *poof* the second they understand that they are playing a sus2 chord instead of a unclassified handshape. If Ackerfeldt went to Berklee on a whim he would still be able to write kickass songs because he is a superb songwriter. No amount of knowledge can take that away from him. I'd actually go as far to argue that in some subgenres knowing theory is almost mandatory. Cynic Atheist Gorod etc. are all guys that are at the top of their game and I bet that's not in the least because they know how to put their knowledge into practice effectively and with taste.

The only possible reason I can see for people bringing up the argument is because of the likes of Yngwie or MAB who just whip out a few sweeps at 200 bpm and call it a song, but to be honest those guys probably never had a chance to begin with if you ask me. I never EVER have encountered anyone who claimed to have ruined their song writing skills because they spend too much time with a music theory book.