If Mort Divine ruled the world

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-05-13/opec-epoch-over-–-where-are-oil-prices-headed-now

This is a really huge(yuge!) development and I recommend the full read, but I'm linking it here rather than the news thread because a significant portion of the article is about the Fed doing what we were just talking about: "Printing" money to prop up values.

"Once a number of players are completely out of business, we could see (in a year or two) a huge increase in oil prices due to a supply shortage as the pendulum swings the other way. While the lower rig count doesn’t do much to lower today’s supply, it definitely reduce’s tomorrow’s … if you look far enough down the road."

We're talking about a drop in the number of *operating* rigs. What does it take to start operating a rig again - a flip of a switch, and a few quick hires? I don't expect any "huge increase" in oil prices beyond the price at which all the guys who shut down production will start breaking even again -- which by the estimate I trust the most is $55/bbl WTI.

"Once a number of players are completely out of business, we could see (in a year or two) a huge increase in oil prices due to a supply shortage as the pendulum swings the other way. While the lower rig count doesn’t do much to lower today’s supply, it definitely reduce’s tomorrow’s … if you look far enough down the road."

We're talking about a drop in the number of *operating* rigs. What does it take to start operating a rig again - a flip of a switch, and a few quick hires? I don't expect any "huge increase" in oil prices beyond the price at which all the guys who shut down production will start breaking even again -- which by the estimate I trust the most is $55/bbl WTI.

It's a little more complicated than that (re:flip a switch), but I agree with your comment in general. There's a sunk cost aspect to these rigs, as well as a projected ppb aspect. That comment you selected out of the whole thing is probably one of the only areas where the conjecture has to be taken with a significant grain of salt. You also have to think on a 5 year timeline or more on these comments. I dumped my "fuck you' truck" as (as I think unknown called it) based on, among other reasons, OPEC being business as usual. Normalcy bias got me. Who knew the House of Saud was going to upend the cartel? The big question for me is whether this is because of USG collusion or because of the end of collusion.

Oh, nevermind. Wilbon, I think, argues that white people are trying to exclude blacks from sports by focusing more on stats than emotions. And that blacks like sports because they are emotional (I mean holy shit this stereotype was put forth by slave owners 3 centuries ago but no biggie)

I thought this New Yorker piece did a pretty good job of communicating the conflicts in contemporary academic progressivism, particularly within/among the student bodies.

Identity politics used to be obligate: I am a woman of color, because the world sees me as such. Now there is an elective element: I identify as X and Y and Z right now. That can distract from the overriding class privilege of élite education. “Intersectionality is taken as a kind of gospel around here,” Blecher complained. For this he put a lot of the blame on Comparative American Studies, an influential program among Oberlin activists.

Wendy Kozol, the director of the program, agreed that many students glom on to intersectional ideas too broadly. “But that’s why we teach,” she told me. “When people are learning any theoretical framework, they learn it in stages, with various levels of nuance.” She calls the critiques of intersectionality “very compelling” but difficult. Many of them suggest that casting experience as an intersection of super-abstract social identities, such as “femaleness” and “blackness,” elides historical specificity. One of Kozol’s favorite critics, the Rutgers scholar Jasbir K. Puar, charges that intersectionality posits people whose attributes—race, class, gender, etc.—are “separable analytics,” like Legos that can be snapped apart, when in truth most identities operate more like the night sky: we see meaningful shapes by picking out some stars and ignoring others, and these imagined pictures can change all the time.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/05/30/the-new-activism-of-liberal-arts-colleges

http://weaponsman.com/?p=31167

All right-thinking people know that the only reason women haven’t been infantrymen everywhere, taken over the offensive line of the Seattle Seahawks, and broken all the mens’ Olympic records, is because of false consciousness, and because they don’t have incredibly awesome female officers yet to show them the way.

If enlisted women don’t start signing up in larger numbers, the pinnacle of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs in Combat, that is, self-actualization of the upper class female officers, will require them to be drafted. Self-actualization of upper class female officers is, after all, the reason we have an Army in the first place.

Hoooooo boy......some ah, characters in that piece.

Yes, there are; but they're mostly students. The piece actually does a fairly good job of emphasizing that educators/professors are mostly level-headed and not overly radical when it comes to issues of identity politics.

As I've said before, it's students and/or non-academics who take it too far, if not misconstrue the matter entirely.

Einherjar is pretty left-leaning and I bet it comes out in his teachings

Seems like I'm constantly reading about radical professors.

Well, if you constantly visit sites that look for radical professors, then it makes sense that you'll constantly read about them.

There's a term for this. I think Dak's familiar with it...

Yeah the teachers interview as fairly levelheaded. But somehow they are a part of this absurd mess.

Somehow we're all a part of it. Somehow you're a part of it.

These motherfuckers are a part of it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...g-black-disabled-teammate-with-a-coat-hanger/

The teachers interviewed in that article, and most university professors, are far less involved in radical action than you both think. In the entire English department at BU, two professors went to a Black Lives Matter rally way back - probably almost two years ago.

Teachers have political leanings, but overwhelmingly they do not bring them into the classroom; and when they do, they often do so in a mild manner. They don't deliver diatribes or inflammatory speeches.

I'm not speaking for all teachers, of course. I'm speaking for the vast majority. Teachers care about politics, sure, but not in the classroom. In the classroom, they care about teaching their damn students who would rather be out protesting instead of sitting in class and learning.