If Mort Divine ruled the world

Somehow we're all a part of it. Somehow you're a part of it.

These motherfuckers are a part of it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...g-black-disabled-teammate-with-a-coat-hanger/

I guess "a part" is pretty vague, eh?

As far as "white on black crime", sure it's a terrible thing (all crime is), but it's statistically and nominally rare. Since the DOJ quit publishing race stats (maybe because it doesn't support the narrative?), I had to find a "special tabulation". Looks like BLM needs to march on the ghettos. Maybe that's what that one student meant when she said she was going back to the ghetto (but I doubt it).

charleston-shooting-obama-race-crime-statistics.jpg

The teachers interviewed in that article, and most university professors, are far less involved in radical action than you both think.

Teachers have political leanings, but overwhelmingly they do not bring them into the classroom; and when they do, they often do so in a mild manner. They don't deliver diatribes or inflammatory speeches.

Not radical action in the terms of burning and looting. Inculcating the premises for doing so in a mild manner.

I'm not speaking for all teachers, of course. I'm speaking for the vast majority. Teachers care about politics, sure, but not in the classroom. In the classroom, they care about teaching their damn students who would rather be out protesting instead of sitting in class and learning.

Every university is somewhat different, but the article suggests Oberlin specifically draws from a pool of people that probably wouldn't or shouldn't be there without being dragged in.

I’m going home, back to the ’hood of Chicago, to be exactly who I was before I came to Oberlin.”

This quote encapsulates all the issues in that piece.

I guess "a part" is pretty vague, eh?

As far as "white on black crime", sure it's a terrible thing (all crime is), but it's statistically and nominally rare. Since the DOJ quit publishing race stats (maybe because it doesn't support the narrative?), I had to find a "special tabulation". Looks like BLM needs to march on the ghettos. Maybe that's what that one student meant when she said she was going back to the ghetto (but I doubt it).

charleston-shooting-obama-race-crime-statistics.jpg

It doesn't support the "narrative" if you assume that all individual crimes committed are equal (i.e. that a black person mugging a white person is the same as a white person sticking a coat hanger up a disabled black person's rectum).

Those aren't equal though, and they signify different things. You want to say that all crime signifies the same thing - moral depravity, immaturity, entitlement culture, etc. etc. I don't agree with you that you can draw that equation.

Not radical action in the terms of burning and looting. Inculcating the premises for doing so in a mild manner.

Because it's wrong to suggest that perhaps there are social situations in which violence is absolutely necessary...? It's wrong to suggest that social action may occasionally, albeit hopefully rarely, demand violence? Instead teachers should emphasize the following of rules and laws, all the time, no matter what the social conditions?

Seems like a poor avenue of thought for advocates of gun ownership.

I'm not saying that the actions of social activists today are warranted... but it's wrong to cultivate an environment that suggests those actions could be necessary at some point?

It doesn't support the "narrative" if you assume that all individual crimes committed are equal (i.e. that a black person mugging a white person is the same as a white person sticking a coat hanger up a disabled black person's rectum).

Those aren't equal though, and they signify different things. You want to say that all crime signifies the same thing - moral depravity, immaturity, entitlement culture, etc. etc. I don't agree with you that you can draw that equation.

Sure we could find some way to rank crimes in terms of horrificness, and obviously a mugging wouldn't rank as highly as rectally violating a disabled person, but nor would it rate as highly as the Newsom murders. That event is, of course, a "dog whistle" for white supremacists - but that "begs the question" why do the previously linked stories, or the Eric Garner event, get the focus? It can't simply be the old truism that it's rare events that sell. Or could it?

I'm not saying that the actions of social activists today are warranted... but it's wrong to cultivate an environment that suggests those actions could be necessary at some point?

I grew up steeped in an environment concerned with UN hegemon, tanks in the streets (of course if you look at large PD forces now, this isn't far off), etc etc and I wound up joining the military and going into higher ed. These kids get poor fundamental education in K-12, take a couple classes of oppression ideology, and suddenly they are sacrificing their health and sanity protesting the apparatus that lets them drink fancy drinks while being counterproductive members of society. Burning and looting and shutting down traffic in multiple cities (speaking more broadly here, not specifically about Oberlin) is a far cry from squatting on a remote wildlife refuge, or playing army in the woods. Returning to that one quote about returning to the hood: I think that's essentially what the protesting looks like.

Reactions: CiG
Sure we could find some way to rank crimes in terms of horrificness, and obviously a mugging wouldn't rank as highly as rectally violating a disabled person, but nor would it rate as highly as the Newsom murders. That event is, of course, a "dog whistle" for white supremacists - but that "begs the question" why do the previously linked stories, or the Eric Garner event, get the focus? It can't simply be the old truism that it's rare events that sell. Or could it?

It wouldn't be a ranking, merely a way to distinguish between what different events signify. A mugging signifies something different than forcing a black person to recite KKK chants before sexually assaulting him.

We can draw a correlation between economic conditions and black crime without justifying criminal action. All I'm suggesting is that black crime and the crime I cited reflect very different social circumstances. I'm not trying to "rank" one as worse than the other.

I grew up steeped in an environment concerned with UN hegemon, tanks in the streets (of course if you look at large PD forces now, this isn't far off), etc etc and I wound up joining the military and going into higher ed. These kids get poor fundamental education in K-12, take a couple classes of oppression ideology, and suddenly they are sacrificing their health and sanity protesting the apparatus that lets them drink fancy drinks while being counterproductive members of society. Burning and looting and shutting down traffic in multiple cities (speaking more broadly here, not specifically about Oberlin) is a far cry from squatting on a remote wildlife refuge, or playing army in the woods. Returning to that one quote about returning to the hood: I think that's essentially what the protesting looks like.

"These kids"...

You know that the number of students enrolled in higher education, even the number of students enrolled as Humanities majors, vastly outnumbers the number of "kids" out stomping in the streets?

I'm not saying it isn't a problem, but it looks to me like Humanities instructors are producing far fewer protesters than they are non-protesters.

It wouldn't be a ranking, merely a way to distinguish between what different events signify. A mugging signifies something different than forcing a black person to recite KKK chants before sexually assaulting him.

We can draw a correlation between economic conditions and black crime without justifying criminal action. All I'm suggesting is that black crime and the crime I cited reflect very different social circumstances. I'm not trying to "rank" one as worse than the other.

Maybe a farm educated "white people" in a rural backwater being told they are shit and will always be shit compared to a "non-white" minority will receive such "wisdom" of "rank" in "social circumstances" less amenably and definitely with less nuance than university educated "white people" in northeastern gentrified enclaves.

"These kids"...

You know that the number of students enrolled in higher education, even the number of students enrolled as Humanities majors, vastly outnumbers the number of "kids" out stomping in the streets?

I'm not saying it isn't a problem, but it looks to me like Humanities instructors are producing far fewer protesters than they are non-protesters.

This is a good point. I cycled through potential initial responses but none seem satisfactory without requiring more delving than I think is prosperous.

http://qz.com/695107/women-drivers-have-trouble-reversing-so-a-chinese-parking-lot/

tl;dr: China has extra large parking spots for women in some places because they have difficulty driving in reverse. Lol. Article attempts to counterclaim at the end that women are actually safer drivers because they have less road fatalities (in China, but I believe I read the same stat for the US). Someone can't apples to apples.

Last edited:
I love this gorilla incident thing exploding on the socialinterwebs. Western Civ is pretty much doomed from what I can gather reading the comments. The second level of analysis chuckles at the irony of it being a black child. It was a completely lose-lose situation for the zoo as far as the internet outrage machine goes (the zoo staff made the right decision - HLM). Either BLM or GLM though for the outrage machine.

I love this gorilla incident thing exploding on the socialinterwebs. Western Civ is pretty much doomed from what I can gather reading the comments.
The fucking outrage. Kid's mother is fucked. Until next week, when everyone forgets the whole thing, that is.

Reactions: Dak