If Mort Divine ruled the world

I always kind of understood Pat's general position as being that points are problematic ;)

Edit: For the record (like it's a surprise), Dr. Loury echos the position that I hold, and generally the position the two other eminent black econ professors (Williams and Sowell) hold.

Last edited:
But Loury basically acknowledges the difficulty of the challenge posed by material conditions, which the interviewer asks about in his final question. Loury's response is that it's "a very difficult question." He then offers the following conclusion:

Are the structures of African-American social life the derivative consequences of the political and economic history of African Americans, or are they subject to being reshaped and reformed and remade in an image that we will for ourselves and our progeny? The latter is the stance I'm taking. The alternative is a bleak moral landscape for me.

The appeal to morality looks like a sidestep to me, in a larger intellectual sense. I don't think Loury would deny that he's making a judgment call at this point, but his position basically boils down to: "I believe this because it makes me feel better." That's an unfair reduction I'm sure, but it's all he really offers in this interview.

To me the problem is not, do people equally wield agency, but rather do we hold all people to a certain standard that assumes there is equal agency.

If someone makes a crap decision, does it hurt them or help them to deny their agency and basically say it's not their fault?

Reactions: Dak
But Loury basically acknowledges the difficulty of the challenge posed by material conditions, which the interviewer asks about in his final question. Loury's response is that it's "a very difficult question." He then offers the following conclusion:

The appeal to morality looks like a sidestep to me, in a larger intellectual sense. I don't think Loury would deny that he's making a judgment call at this point, but his position basically boils down to: "I believe this because it makes me feel better." That's an unfair reduction I'm sure, but it's all he really offers in this interview.

I think it's an unfair reduction because Loury is looking at what is helping vs hindering. This ties in directly with psychology (which, when we take a Austrian perspective of economics makes perfect sense). If I am assessing a patient, I have to take historical factors into account. However, they cannot be changed, attenuated, etc. While they may have varying degrees of relation to the current problem (even up to significant), they most likely have a negligible effect on the treatment selection. It is the current problem that can effectively be acted upon successfully. Not what happened x number of decades ago. History "reified" if you will, functionally, is a hindrance to improvement of any given situation.

Is there any psychological benefit to acknowledging the role that historical conditions might play in a patient's current situation? It seems that placing the burden entirely on a patient - i.e. it's your fault that you're here and it's your responsibility to get out of it - could be as detrimental as foregrounding one's historical conditioning.

In a sense, I would say that undergoing psychological treatment is already a step in the right direction, since psychologists try to help their patients understand the dynamics of their current situations, and thereby help them realize their own potential despite the historical hardships they've faced, perhaps even unconsciously. I wouldn't recommend telling a patient "There's nothing you can do"; but it seems that uncovering the uncontrollable of a patient's past is exactly what enables them to realize their own agency.

It's not about placing a burden regarding the past in this sort of situation, to use that terminology. It's about giving the patient tools to improve the situation to the degree that they can, and absent being chained to a bed or whatever, people can take steps to improve their situations.

Reactions: CiG
Felt good to vent all that about the general campus, but we were right, the Stats department is stern and focused. Liking the environment there. Also as a PhD student I now have my own office, which is fantastic.

How is one's racial/cultural/ethnic history the same as one's past? That made little sense to me.

Also, how is addressing past hardships that aren't directly in that person's past (ie "legacy of slavery") going to help someone in the now, beyond turning them into "let's dismantle the whole system" types?

Last edited:
It's not about placing a burden regarding the past in this sort of situation, to use that terminology. It's about giving the patient tools to improve the situation to the degree that they can, and absent being chained to a bed or whatever, people can take steps to improve their situations.

Sure, but I feel like one of those tools is a heightened awareness of the forces that shape our existence, whether they be personal or historical.

Felt good to vent all that about the general campus, but we were right, the Stats department is stern and focused. Liking the environment there. Also as a PhD student I now have my own office, which is fantastic.

PhD departments in general are more focused, even those left-wing nutjob humanities ones, like the one of which I'm a part. ;)

What school are you attending?

How is one's racial/cultural/ethic history the same as one's past? That made little sense to me.

Also, how is addressing past hardships that aren't directly in that person's past (ie "legacy of slavery") going to help someone in the now, beyond turning them into "let's dismantle the whole system" types?

At this point, I'm simply suggesting that there is an analogy to be made between the determining forces in a patient's individual past and the determining forces in a generic group of people's historical past.

I don't think that psychological practices are applicable in the second case, but I do think they can help members of any given group at an individual level. In the second case, I still think it's important to retain knowledge of historical factors purely in order to identify their impact on the present, even if we can't appeal to those factors as a viable solution to current problems.

Sure, but I feel like one of those tools is a heightened awareness of the forces that shape our existence, whether they be personal or historical.

I don't know how, at this point, someone in one of the identity politics' aggrieved groups wouldn't have some sort of awareness about a history of oppression, however accurately or inaccurately conceived.

While that may be true, I'm not sure that an over-emphasis of, or over-reliance upon, certain explanations on the part of one camp warrants or justifies a reactionary resistance toward such explanations on the part of another.

PhD departments in general are more focused, even those left-wing nutjob humanities ones, like the one of which I'm a part. ;)

What school are you attending?

At this point, I'm simply suggesting that there is an analogy to be made between the determining forces in a patient's individual past and the determining forces in a generic group of people's historical past.

I don't think that psychological practices are applicable in the second case, but I do think they can help members of any given group at an individual level. In the second case, I still think it's important to retain knowledge of historical factors purely in order to identify their impact on the present, even if we can't appeal to those factors as a viable solution to current problems.

Heh, I'd prefer to spare what little anonymity I have left, but I'll say it's one of the UC schools. What field of humanities are you in?

I have no problem with people retaining knowledge of history, but at this point it seems like it's being demanded of people to no actually helpful conclusion. Especially when it's usually not done with any bipartisan intention but usually with an agenda.

While that may be true, I'm not sure that an over-emphasis of, or over-reliance upon, certain explanations on the part of one camp warrants or justifies a reactionary resistance toward such explanations on the part of another.

Successful minorities are a threat to the livlihood and recognition of grievance provocateurs. Of course they are also a threat to white nationalists etc. Politics and strange bedfellows eh?

Reactions: Einherjar86
Why are the overwhelming majority in these "good" majors asians and white people? It's just a fact, look around a graduate student in stats classroom. or math. or physics. Nearly/All asians or white people. I believe any race can do the work, why don't they attempt it?