If Mort Divine ruled the world

You're also extrapolating (and speculating) that the reason I can't separate personal ethics from policy is that I'm an authoritarian sympathizer. There are other reasons why I might have difficulty doing so.

You're being obtuse? I dunno, but I think it's absolutely possible to separate one's personal ethics from what should be imposed socially. I'm a damn near teetotaler these days, but I'm opposed to the drug wars and prohibition. I think one of the biggest problems with the hard-left and hard-right is an inability to separate the personal from the political.

There's also the issue here of how you define choice. If my ethics mean that a fetus at the stage of viability cannot be aborted, you would say I am forcing parenthood on someone and taking away their choice, but couldn't the same be said for laws that prohibit the murder of a disabled child or adult? If the law steps in to protect the disabled person, is guardianship not being forced on someone here? I think your concept of choice is a false premise, because in no other situation do we consider not being allowed to kill an innocent person a negation of choice.

This ties in to how you consider animals' lives to be as valuable as humans'. You value the life of an animal you also kill and eat more than a fetus but at the same level of a human...? You're an inconsistent mess on something as basic as the value of life.

Consuming alcohol/drugs =/= having an abortion.

Ethics dictate social relationships. If you have a personal ethical stance on something, you can’t then say that it doesn’t apply to others’ choices. If you don’t do drugs because you think it’s ethically wrong, then that means you think it’s unethical for others to do drugs. If you deny this, then you’re a relativist.

I do think it's unethical to abort a viable fetus, yes. But I'm not an activist, and as I've said before, I think my position will naturally grow in popularity as science, specifically embryology, develops and dispels these notions that a fetus is some kind of non-human junk matter to be discarded.

This is what I mean by hard-left and hard-right, they seek to impose. I'm happy to just wait and hold to my ethics in private. You'll never see me protesting clinics or waving retarded pro-life signs, and I'm not even in favour of total abortion bans in the first place.

Consuming alcohol/drugs =/= having an abortion.

No shit.

Anyway I didn't mean for this to become about abortion, we already know where the other sits on this subject. No point going in circles. I simply think you underestimate the gravity of having a kid but it's always going to sound ridiculous or conceited to you until you've experienced it.

Reactions: Einherjar86
You have excuses for everything these days.

I never said having kids always functions to change a persons mind about x position. I said I hoped that it would. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to get someone to understand something when their social standing depends on them not understanding it. But it is true that rich liberals are the biggest NIMBYs and white-flighters. It allows them to avoid the uncomfortable interactions that would cause uncomfortable levels of cognitive dissonance.

It’s really Dak’s didactic paternalism that annoys me. That guy was a dad long before he had any kids.

:lol: It's kind of truuuuue.

"The points of view expressed were those of Dr. Powers alone and are protected under his right to free speech,” it said in a statement."

I'm sure this line would be similarly used if he had replaced the word "white" with any other racial identifier. :lol:

Reactions: Dak
Link to the text if anyone is interested: http://archive.vn/2cRrM

This kind of thing makes me feel like race relations will never improve. I wouldn't be surprised if many minorities secretly (or openly) share this same opinion. What a toxic attitude.

Certainly won't improve as long as we have laws and Supreme Court justices that repeatedly rule in favor racial discrimination. fwiw I don't think a substantial portion of any ethnic group shares those kinds of views, but you only need 5~10% of the population to go rogue and commit to a path of violence to enact broad social changes and decline.

EDIT: Anecdotally, Puerto Ricans seem to be particularly criminal and unproductive sect anyways. We should just give them their island back, ban their entry to America, and let them become Haiti 2.0.

@Blurry_Dreams
@Einherjar86

If we give it to the wrong people (the ones who will eat it and shit it out and need more tomorrow and shit out babies) that’s like nurturing a farm of diseased rats

Mandatory sterilization, while I love the idea, it provides immediate positive results, will be too difficult to implement politically
mandatory sterilization of the people who are too broke to financially support offspring
but only after min wage becomes a living wage
can't sterilize people that are actually working a full 40-hour-work-week