If Mort Divine ruled the world

It isn't entirely a social construct, since there were studies done showing that the tested transgender individuals had brain patterns more closely resembling their intended gender than their birth sex. Amount of grey matter, all that shit.

All the "its entirely a social thing" people are wrong; there is science that disproves it.

Then how can it be explained that transwomen often express their gender with typically feminine activities, interests, clothing and also often enter traditionally feminine careers and jobs?

These are people that, if it's to be believed that much of an individual's choices are a result of programming based on their gender at birth, were raised and treated as boys.

Gender is a social performance. Sex is biological.

Human beings are ascribed genders at birth based on their sex. At the biological level, sex is generally consistent (ignoring, for the moment, hormonal changes, therapy, or other more extensive operations). Gender is fluid and need not be reducible to sex in any way, although of course it might appear to be closely related. Gender is the performative expression through which humans communicate some kind of identity; it can only be social because it only makes sense as an outward expression. Humans might choose to portray themselves as different genders for a variety of reasons, but all of these reasons stem from some form of social conditioning.

If I'm speaking honestly, the idea that someone can be "born with a female brain" (in the gendered sense) is illogical. Trans- subjects have reverted to this line of reasoning because their opponents have suggested in the past that if gender is a social construct then they should be able to "change it" (which is ridiculous in itself, but that's the argument). In short, their opponents suggest that transgender identities are somehow untrue, or incorrect (i.e. they don't match up with your real gender).

The better argument would be to say that gender is constructed, and no, we weren't all born with male or female brains; we all become gendered subjects over time via complex processes of social conditioning, and we express ourselves accordingly. When we express ourselves "incorrectly," we are mocked for it (e.g. when a boy in kindergarten prefers to play with dolls over blocks). Unfortunately, in Western Europe and Anglo-America, traditionally "feminine" traits have often been attributed to various sub-par institutions: hysteria, mass (low, or pop) culture, sentimentalism, creativity (rather than rationality, for instance), etc. Because of this, "woman" as we have come to understand it is almost impossible to represent without simultaneously representing the various ways in which it has been exploited and repressed. Thus, "Man" has come to signify normative human action/behavior, while "woman" is something slightly less-than-(hu)Man.

Which is why Simone de Beauvoir could write that "One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman."

Something about the latter half of your reply sounds like bullshit to me, is it not the case that boisterousness in school is treated as problematic, so much so that it's a ticket to Ritalin?

Why do studies show distinct differences between female and male brains and simultaneously show that trans brains match more closely to the gender they identify with rather than the gender they were assigned at birth? It seems like people are treating gender as if it's a race, which is for the most part a social construct.

Feminists don't give a shit about science or reality. The degree to which brain sex matters is of no consequence to them, because it's a political movement, with political goals.

Opposition just gets shot down with shit like "how could anyone be so evil as to oppose the equality of every living thing and its pursuit of happiness". Um, how about because every place on earth and historical period in which such thoughts would have been written down in some form, by some thinker or other, was lead by a more educated class of people that ruled over the less educated workers.

Not quite sure how your last comment weighs on my trans question, but I agree about the political ideology butting heads with the science implication.

It's one of the main reasons I've had trouble resting comfortably on the feminist ideology over the last few years, because once I started thinking critically about it's claims I've had more turmoil with my own positions than any other thing I've ever experienced (as well as lost more friends over it than anything else) entirely due to it's seemingly total lack of critical and logical thinking.

Which is why I think it's a shame that transgenderism has become entangled in the ideology.

Something about the latter half of your reply sounds like bullshit to me, is it not the case that boisterousness in school is treated as problematic, so much so that it's a ticket to Ritalin?

Unfortunately I don't see your point, regardless of whether the answer to this question is yes or no.

Why do studies show distinct differences between female and male brains and simultaneously show that trans brains match more closely to the gender they identify with rather than the gender they were assigned at birth? It seems like people are treating gender as if it's a race, which is for the most part a social construct.

Actually, one of these studies admitted that the brain changes in the first twenty to thirty years of life. So, may not be "born with" the brain (chemically, neurologically) they may have when they identify as a different gender. External (i.e. environmental, or social) factors can have variable influence on chemical distribution in the body/brain. Mirror neurons are affected by changes in external environment (e.g. raising your hands in an upward motion or expanding your body can result in the release of endorphins, while curling up into a ball stimulates the dopamine receptors).

But all that aside, I think the issue finds better traction in a philosophical context. Gender is performance, that's all; there can be no such thing as private gender, just as there is no such thing as a private language (see Wittgenstein). Someone might keep their gender identity a secret, but this doesn't mean it could not be interpreted by other individuals as a particular gender identity. Gender only makes sense in a social context, and genders form in response to social conditions. It seems likely, according to studies, that an individual's body may change as well; but this is beside the point.

If male behaviour is treated or considered as normal, why are we treating male behaviour (boisterousness) as something to be remedied? That was my point.

I'll tackle your second part in a bit, I'm finishing up my dinner.

You seem to be making the claim that just because a behavior is associated with a particular gender that somehow makes it permissible. I was just using playing with blocks as an example - that would be normal behavior for a boy, whereas playing with dolls is normal behavior for a girl. Being rowdy may be traditionally associated with juvenile masculinity, but seeing as it is prescribed as disruptive according to the educational institution (i.e. others have difficulty learning if we let the rascals do as they please) we treat it. Just because a behavior may be typically associated with a particular gender doesn't sanction that behavior. Hysteria was the "feminine disorder" for years, and we treated it excessively (and horribly).

Just because expression of sex involves social conditioning doesn't mean it is entirely "socially constructed". There are consistent and quantifiable differences by sex across the entire physical body, and it is extremely unlikely* (impossible, particularly in acceptance of something like an "emergent" consciousness) that these differences have no bearing on conscious expression.

So, normal meaning socially programmed to perpetuate male and female roles by being given gender-appropriate toys?
There was a study done I think a few years ago showing that male and female chimps (I think it was chimps) go for these corollary stereotypical gendered toys when given the choice.

But anyway, so gender only makes sense in a social context? If that's the case, do you extend this beyond human society? Because it seems to me that gender pre-dates human society.
In fact, this may be passe in an era of the humanities taking precedence but the definition of gender is at odds with your philosophical pov.

Just because expression of sex involves social conditioning doesn't mean it is entirely "socially constructed". There are consistent and quantifiable differences by sex across the entire physical body, and it is extremely unlikely* (impossible, particularly in acceptance of something like an "emergent" consciousness) that these differences have no bearing on conscious expression.

I agree. The distinction I'm making is between gender as a social system and gender as an expression of some interior state.

An individual's gendered expression likely has some relation to his or her bodily, biological sex. Whether this relation is accessible to an individual's consciousness, I'm highly doubtful. Whether this relation is causal, I'm almost absolutely doubtful.

The gendered expression itself, even granting some formless relation to the body's biological sex, is not for the sake of the body. It is for the sake of an individual acting in social contexts. Gender is a kind of communication. In this respect, the relation between gender as a social system and gender as a reflection of an interior state is entirely accidental. The two systems function according to their own logic and internal dynamics.

When I say gender as a social construction, I think any reference to biological bodies is speculative at best. The cells and hormones in our bodies have no sense of gender. They may respond to external circumstances in ways that affect our gendered expression, but to say that this gender is somehow internal is to misrepresent the relationship, in my opinion.

So, normal meaning socially programmed to perpetuate male and female roles by being given gender-appropriate toys?
There was a study done I think a few years ago showing that male and female chimps (I think it was chimps) go for these corollary stereotypical gendered toys when given the choice.

Again, whether that's true or not makes no difference. All I'm saying is that we codify the behavior as masculine and feminine and then respond accordingly. Adult males often get uncomfortable when their sons play with dolls. The parents of infant chimps don't care whether they play with stick-dolls or stick-weapons.

But anyway, so gender only makes sense in a social context? If that's the case, do you extend this beyond human society? Because it seems to me that gender pre-dates human society.
In fact, this may be passe in an era of the humanities taking precedence but the definition of gender is at odds with your philosophical pov.

I don't think gender pre-dates human society. In fact, I think saying that chimps play with sticks like dolls imports an anthropocentric brand of thinking onto behavior that has no concept of "doll." There may be biological reasons why female chimps play with sticks a certain way, but this doesn't amount to gender. I think that biology is at play in both humans and animals, but I think that humans have developed a complex social system of gender and gender roles that animals have not.

Gender is a particular kind of communication, a social language that registers heavily with identitarian beliefs, raising it to the level of, in my opinion, a third-order system (meaning it appeals to language in order to engage its environment). Seeing as animals don't talk to us using language, I don't think animals have a gender in the sense we mean.

Finally, I'm not sure what definition of gender you mean, but I find myself attracted to Judith Butler's definition (for the most part). This is a fairly influential and well-established definition.

fwiw I don't mean sterilizing all ethnic minorities or anything. A lot of that has come from the realization that people aware of their inferiority are often some of the biggest proponents of eugenics. I can't tell you how self-described autistic folks I've run into on the internet, ranting on about their shitty genetic heritage and low intelligence and how they wish they could have been born into a better stock. Even with famous spree killers and such there's a bit of a trend, incredibly awkward individuals forced into society and hating it, having parents with simultaneous savior- and martyr-complexes that happily bear the burden of a mental cripple, perfectly fine with taking away any agency from their offspring. The ideal solution is required screening for all women seeking to give birth, and threatening to revoke government support should their children have serious defects and require it.

It's enough that I would prefer to describe myself as pro-abortion rather than pro-choice. I mean, I'm a libertarian idealist, but let's say there are a few areas where I have to crack the whip and control people? Then I'm sure as hell controlling those uteri to my heart's content, fuck the "choice" to create a broken life.

fwiw I don't mean sterilizing all ethnic minorities or anything. A lot of that has come from the realization that people aware of their inferiority are often some of the biggest proponents of eugenics. I can't tell you how self-described autistic folks I've run into on the internet, ranting on about their shitty genetic heritage and low intelligence and how they wish they could have been born into a better stock. Even with famous spree killers and such there's a bit of a trend, incredibly awkward individuals forced into society and hating it, having parents with simultaneous savior- and martyr-complexes that happily bear the burden of a mental cripple, perfectly fine with taking away any agency from their offspring. The ideal solution is required screening for all women seeking to give birth, and threatening to revoke government support should their children have serious defects and require it.

It's enough that I would prefer to describe myself as pro-abortion rather than pro-choice. I mean, I'm a libertarian idealist, but let's say there are a few areas where I have to crack the whip and control people? Then I'm sure as hell controlling those uteri to my heart's content, fuck the "choice" to create a broken life.

the poor, homeless, starving and diseased should be wiped out, that includes skid row and similar shitholes, most of africa and other 3rd world countries. maybe mass-infect them with a sterility virus. or just nuke them. if this planet only had contributing members of society, it would be a better place