If Mort Divine ruled the world

Trigger warnings are absolutely part and parcel of a culture of victimhood in my opinion, it is quite literally there to protect victims from information.

Though it must be pointed out that trigger warnings are self-defeating because it's the warning itself that triggers your trauma before you've even heard or read the content.

That Jennifer Lawrence bit had something that stuck out to me.

As if I was yelling at him. I was so shocked because nothing that I said was personal, offensive, or, to be honest, wrong.

She diagnoses her own problem and misses it at the same time, she wants to be aggressive, fierce, head-strong yet she is seemingly tip-toeing through her attempts and exuding guilt.
It's all a game, negotiators that show that they internally want to be liked and feel bad will in turn be manipulated.

If you don't give a shit and you're trying to get what's yours, you need to not care about reactions like the ones she's complaining about.

Trigger warnings are absolutely part and parcel of a culture of victimhood in my opinion, it is quite literally there to protect victims from information.

Though it must be pointed out that trigger warnings are self-defeating because it's the warning itself that triggers your trauma before you've even heard or read the content.

So, it literally does not protect victims from information; nor do those who include trigger warnings on syllabi or in class announcements intend for it to protect students from information.

The purpose is to allow students the opportunity to prepare themselves for the material in their own fashion. This doesn't mean not dealing with the material at all, but dealing with it in the most productive way possible.

This triggering thing is an outgrowth of PTSD related sensitivity. Triggering or a trigger refers to something that "sends a person back" to the situation. I met a guy who was triggered by the smell of bleach or grilled hamburger he said because of cleaning guts out of humvees that had been hit by IEDs in Iraq. It's real and if he's going to be around those things he needs to be warned so he doesn't go around them.

Being triggered by Huckleberry Finn or something can be "real", but it's been fabricated by the people pushing the trigger warnings on books. It's the Orkin man finding the termites he put under your house. Futhermore "a warning so you can be prepared to deal with it productively" is a massive watering down.

I understand what a trigger warning is, I experience triggers often in relation to some childhood trauma.

But in my experience, trigger warnings aren't just in place to prepare someone in an academic setting or when watching a piece of media, they also act as a justification for people to not participate, to refuse to read a book, to leave a class, to not watch a film etc.

I'm actually in favour of trigger warnings in their original use, now it's just become ridiculous.

Trigger warnings on the internet seem like an extension of NSFW and that seems fine to me. I think people just get sick of, well to use their own language against them, entitled white females and all of the shit they come up with.

Precisely, I absolutely empathise with people that suffer from PTSD, but having trigger warnings for racist content in a book is fucking belittling, yet we've created an atmosphere wherein racial minorities accept this kind of coddling.

But in my experience, trigger warnings aren't just in place to prepare someone in an academic setting or when watching a piece of media, they also act as a justification for people to not participate, to refuse to read a book, to leave a class, to not watch a film etc.

I have had the exact same reservations. It's important to explain to students what these warnings mean. I can tell my students "There's an attempted rape in Octavia Butler's Dawn"; but that doesn't excuse them from reading it. If students decide not to do the reading, then that's their prerogative; and they'll be penalized appropriately for it (on assignments, exams, etc.).

Sure, and I think you and others have pointed them out. The ironic effect they have is that instead of introducing students to new ideas and/or content, we actually reduce the content they're exposed to. This isn't productive, and it certainly isn't educational.

I rarely use trigger warnings because most often I don't think they're necessary. Sometimes, a trigger warning can make reading a text worse because the anticipation ruins the experience, and the potentially offensive content doesn't end up being that offensive. I believe in these warnings in extreme scenarios, usually involving sexual violence (which in some texts can simply be unpleasant to read at best). I don't provide trigger warnings for racial elements - I simply introduce the text we're reading by saying it talks about race.

I rarely use trigger warnings because most often I don't think they're necessary. Sometimes, a trigger warning can make reading a text worse because the anticipation ruins the experience, and the potentially offensive content doesn't end up being that offensive. I believe in these warnings in extreme scenarios, usually involving sexual violence (which in some texts can simply be unpleasant to read at best). I don't provide trigger warnings for racial elements - I simply introduce the text we're reading by saying it talks about race.

This is an underappreciated point and a simple solution. In fact, simply describing the themes in the book is what a teacher should be doing.

See, I can live with that.

Personally, my biggest problem with trigger warnings is that, just like overuse of a word such as oppression, abuse, etc, it can lessen the impact an event or action truly deserves.

I've discussed this kind of thing with well educated friends and we came to the conclusion that there are probably two main categories of transwoman. The first is made up of people who cross-dressed since childhood and have a female brain, likely due to their mother having low testosterone levels during pregnancy. The second is made up of fetishists who may have a relatively low testosterone level but still have a male brain. This refers to how the brain is structured. I think the problem with suggesting that the range of intermediate positions between male and female is a good thing is that a lot of them seem to be people who would not reproduce "in the wild".

I wish college, health insurance.... didn't cost a fortune.

These wouldn't cost so much if they hadn't been subsidized already + putting things under health "insurance" which aren't "unforseen costs" at all + everyone living like shit healthwise and then needing dialysis at age 30.