If Mort Divine ruled the world

Anglosphere_2007_overweight_rate.png

“I just want to pause on one thing,” she said. “Because I don’t disagree with you that I actually think Mr. Ryan is a great choice for this role, but I want us to be super careful when we use the language ‘hard worker,’ because I actually keep an image of folks working in cotton fields on my office wall, because it is a reminder about what hard work looks like. So, I feel you that he’s a hard worker. I do. -

So, I feel you that he’s a hard worker. I do. But in the context of relative privilege, and I just want to point out that when you talk about work-life balance and being a hard worker, the moms who don’t have health care who are working

So much guilt how do people live day to day?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why doesn't she have a picture on her wall of the people working on oil rigs in 2015?

Edit:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/26/national-coalition-in-favor-of-campus-censorship/

A large coalition of advocacy groups has asked the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights to pressure colleges to (1) punish students for their speech and (2) block student access to certain Web sites — especially sites such as Yik Yak, which allow students to anonymously post their views.
The coalition’s letter dismisses the First Amendment objections to this scheme as “vague First Amendment concerns.”

I like the word play of "folks" when it should be "slaves"

How silly is the term relative privilege anyways?

Maybe she is a big fan of "1st world problems" at parties

Thought you guys would enjoy this; I found it to be a good piece:

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/28/i_w...nt_realize_just_how_impossible_this_would_be/

That night I went home and thought about it, hard. Isn’t confronting difficult issues what learning is about? My classes were about race, gender, and sexuality. These are inherently uncomfortable topics that force students to think critically about their privilege and their place in the hierarchy of this world.

It’s not fun to talk about inequality. It’s not fun to talk about slavery. It’s not fun to talk about the complexity of sexual desire. It’s terribly, terribly, uncomfortable. But it was my job as their teacher to navigate through this discomfort. I felt like I handled the class poorly. I had kowtowed too much, so I went to class the next day prepared to break this shit down.

Good read, besides the peppering of progressive, social science jargon and implications, I can really get behind this.

Though this stuck out as being quite a questionable statement.

And here’s the irony, all of the students who were upset were the feminists, the activists, and there they were, treating a woman of color professor like she wasn’t an authority while treating old white dudes like they are.

I don't think that's what they were doing and just because an old white peer said so, doesn't make it true.

Point is, do you agree with her? Not that long ago you seemed to be insinuating that the culture she describes is just an over-exaggeration.

You know there's a problem when someone like her, who seems to essentially agree with most of these students ideologically and politically is even feeling claustrophobic due to all of this sensitivity crap.

If she is being treated as not being an authority by the kids it probably has something to do with the intersectionality of her teaching style and how teens generally react around "authority". Being younger only makes it worse, but it isn't a race thing.

I really loved where she drew the parallel between fundamentalism and sjwism:

When a Duke Student refuses to read a book because it has lesbian sex in it and students who are liberal, who are activists, also refuse to read and watch things because they see it as triggering, we see the collusion of the right and left wing. When I get an evaluation from this course that says, “as a white male heterosexual I felt unsafe in this course,” and another that reads, “as a survivor this course was traumatizing,” we are at a moment that needs some radical re-thinking. Do students of a radical nature think that if they are seeing eye to eye with the most extreme conservative element of the population that they are doing something right? Fighting for something positive? Participating in something different?

They were never different to begin with.

What these students were essentially doing was stripping every person in an abusive relationship of all their agency

I have actually tried to point this out to people in arguments about Domestic Violence, it's amazing how SJW's will reduce all women to a %/statistics and not give them any power.

The current movement of calling for trigger warnings prioritizes the shielding of students from the traumatic, whereas, ironically, so many other therapeutic models focus on talking through and confronting trauma as a mode of healing.

In the end, this is where the debate is, right? What form of "psychology" is correct in dealing with this? The coddling article and this both suggest and argue for this method but it doesn't seem to appeal to the SJW crowd.

Not really a fan of her last paragraph though..

Also I found the phrase survivor of sexual violence in the context she uses quite distracting.

Survivor of what? How many rapes lead to death? You survive a stabbing or a gunshot wound or a hostage situation or dangerous surgery or a disease or a car crash.

Again, how many people die in a rape case? Because I'm just one dude and I know 3 people that died from drug addiction and that's not even including my shitty family members.

Anyone who gets murdered by their rapist doesn't survive. It isn't really a weird thing to say and it's kind of bizarre to be so distracted by something like that when you factor that in. There's potential for death in nearly all physically violent confrontations.

Point is, do you agree with her? Not that long ago you seemed to be insinuating that the culture she describes is just an over-exaggeration.

I think it is over-exaggerated, but of course those that experience it firsthand will assume it's more prevalent than it is. That doesn't mean that reactions to isolated incidents are automatically overreactions.

My wife made a good point earlier when we were talking about this. She asked me if I thought that Boston University would offer a course on representations of sex in cinema. I admitted that I thought we would, but she didn't think so. The author of the piece, of course, doesn't reveal her affiliated institution; but it's presumably a radical/progressive one (and yes, certain universities/colleges are more progressive than others). In my personal experience teaching in two different states (one southern, one northern), I haven't run into these problems. I haven't had students react traumatically to content, and I haven't had any serious debates over what to include in my courses (yet...). That may have to do with the university I teach at, which is probably less progressivist than the most "radical" schools.

I think the problem is over-exaggerated because there are only a select few "radical" institutions. These institutions, because they garner more media attention, then color people's impressions of the rest of the collegiate world.

Agency is a problem for pretty much all victim oriented ideologies.

Agency is a problem for any humanist ideology. We just assume it isn't.