Im a noob so.......

Metalthrewveins

New Metal Member
Feb 22, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
Well im thinking of buying black water park and still life tomorrow, im wondering if thats a good thing to do or just buy all the albums at once???also gonna find some SYL and disarray heh but back to opeth i like their style!! c ya guys around the board!!! :headbang::D

BWP is probably the most beginner-friendly Opeth album....

It is also the least representative of the albums, and their least interesting songwriting appears on this record. If you want to get into Opeth, I suggest you start with those albums that make Opeth what it is, 'Still Life' would be a good start, as it combines elements from most of their other records.

Nah, start with BWP, it is definitely easiest to get into. Songs like The Drapery Falls and Harvest will have you absolutely mesmerized. Then get 'Still Life', 'Deliverance', 'MAYH' and so on!

Anything... really you can't go wrong. Buy whichever one based on what cover you like looking at more or something haha, I'm almost assured you'll enjoy it all equally to start with... ALL of Opeth's material is A-grade.

Anyway happy hunting.

Originally posted by Metalmaster
It is also the least representative of the albums, and their least interesting songwriting appears on this record. If you want to get into Opeth, I suggest you start with those albums that make Opeth what it is, 'Still Life' would be a good start, as it combines elements from most of their other records.

To some extent maybe. But for a beginner, it is good.
Think about Metallica. Someone asks whats the first album they should buy, most people say Master of Puppets.
Anyways, its all a matter of opinion.

I started with Blackwater Park, but that was because I liked the cover art a lot. And it knocked my socks off. But yeah it doesen't matter which one you buy, just buy one, take time to digest it, and then go buy another. That's what I did. I bought BWP, listened to it for awhile, and when I felt like I understood it, I got Morningrise... then Deliverance came out so I got that... then MAYH, then Still Life, then Orchid... leaving room between each to understand the one I got before buying the next.

Originally posted by Interesti
Not SL

Not SL

Not SL

Yeah, Still Life's only their best album so you might want to skip over that. Go for the overrated, poorly produced collection of riffs that is Morningrise instead.[/sarcasm]

Best way to go about it is to download some sample songs off each album and see which one you like best. Go with that one.

Haha shut up Horgh, Morningrise is my favourite and SL is the worst IMO :).

Originally posted by Interesti
SL is the worst IMO :).

Why? That album has some of my fave moments of theirs, namely the freakout prog section in the middle of White Cluster, and the solo in Moonlapse Vertigo.