My Dying Bride live review thingy, its not a great review at all, or good so dontread

_Transparent_

May 29, 2001
London, England
Visit site
London Mean Fidler 27th April (a few hours ago)

okay so im queuing outside in the good old piss stained ally. im with 2 friends, one hasn't got a ticket as hes an idiot, the tout wants £25 and well he hasn't really heard MDB so he doesnt wanna pay that much, usually you can get tickets at the doors (which hes done before) but this is destined to be a huge occassion and is packed to the rafters, Matthew leaves and well its his fault for not getting a ticket...

Rotting Christ come on first with their instruments postered with Labrat stickers, and i was getting happy as Labrat are good, but unfortunatly Labrat don't play. :(

i'd never heard of Rotting Christ before and i dont care to hear anything of theirs really, the crowd enjoyed them, and there were a lot of fans there. their set started slow but got better near the end, with a few good songs and riffs through out the set.

After a short wait, well an average wait, the lights went out, and spot lights shone all over with some sort of organ music playing in the background for a few minutes, i did think it was a bit boring after awhile but anyway, the band walked on and asumed their positions.

heres the set Alexandre said, im pretty sure this was the same:

They started the gig with My Hope The Destroyer - great track!

The other songs they played - not in the right order:

The Dreadful Hours
The Raven And the Rose
A Cruel Taste Of Winter
The Cry of Mankind
The Snow In My Hand
The Fever Sea
A Kiss to Remember
She is the Dark
Under Your Wings and Into Your Arms
Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium
Turn Loose the Swans

anyway the dreadful hours was the first oncore song of the 2. and the second song they played was the 2nd of the album.

i'd say this was simillar to the opeth gig in december, both having their plus and minus points. the sound was great and i had the best view in the house, in the centre right at the front, i didnt even have to look up much to see Aaron who was straight in front of me.

she is the dark was one of the highlights along with all the songs of the new album, all performed perfectly and they had a lot of life in them, the only down side really was that due to no fault of theirs, as the songs are in a way up then down in tempo it slowed everything down, not allowing the crowd a consistant head banging/mosh. i didnt really mind at all.

the new keyboardest had to have the music in front of her as she didnt know anything and i thought it was refreshing to see someone in a live band look at the music sheets to play, she hardly moved at all and just stood, gently head banging at times, and i stress gently. she looked like she didnt want to be there.

over all this was the best gig ive been to this year and a really great gig overall, i really enjoyed it. all the songs were played well and Aaron was really getting into the music, moving around a bit, and he had some nice black lines following the veins on his right hand, with just one red blood line on his left hand, it looked real, but i doubt it.

this for me is one of those gigs that gives something extra to the cds and i deffinatly like them more after this gig. anyway thats all, i urge anyone to see them if they're touring a country near you.

Originally posted by _Transparent_
London Mean Fidler 27th April (a few hours ago)
the only down side really was that due to no fault of theirs, as the songs are in a way up then down in tempo it slowed everything down, not allowing the crowd a consistant head banging/mosh. i didnt really mind at all.

And I suppose you are one of those people who talks during the quiet moments at Opeth gigs...

My Dying Bride aren't supposed to be about moshing and headbanging all the time. To call that a downside seems to me to be missing the point somewhat.

Ah man, gotta agree that was a class gig, even if I was at the back, and too polite to push through to the front...

For me, the hilight was Cry of Mankind, but it was all good.

The only downer was I forgot to get Opeth tickets while there...

Ahh, I was there too, hiding at the back atop one of the chairs. I had the time of my life though, my first ever gig, and I would definitely say one of the best days/nights of my life!

Personal favourites were 'A kiss to remember' (Which is my favourite song anyway, and the performance did nothing but back up this favouritism) 'She is the dark' and 'The dreadful hours'.

I agree with the comments about the keyboardist as well, though I did quite enjoy the more high pitched piano moments!

Originally posted by Wanderingblade

The only downer was I forgot to get Opeth tickets while there...

My cousin was supposed to have done that while he was down there last night too so fingers crossed the dumbass didn't forget!

Man I can't wait for that one! Opeth and Arch Enemy on the same bill! Be interesting to see how much of a run for it's money the Opeth show gives the MDB show! Both look to be the best gigs of the year!

And I suppose you are one of those people who talks during the quiet moments at Opeth gigs...
Aaaargghh...I've never been to an Opeth gig myself, but I downloaded several videos from some of their US shows....those fans who screamed like fucking idiots during the mellow parts annoyed the crap out of me; they messed everything up, they pissed on the whole atmosphere!! What the fuck were they thinking? Did they smoke crack or what?? (seems to be most likely explanation...)

I never thought that Opeth fans could be so brainfucked.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Nico16
Aaaargghh...I've never been to an Opeth gig myself, but I downloaded several videos from some of their US shows....those fans who screamed like fucking idiots during the mellow parts annoyed the crap out of me; they messed everything up, they pissed on the whole atmosphere!! What the fuck were they thinking? Did they smoke crack or what?? (seems to be most likely explanation...)

I never thought that Opeth fans could be so brainfucked.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

:( You've just filled me with low hopes for the upcoming shows now :(

I'll have to bring a really big, well built mate to "deal" with anyone who feels the need to kill the atmosphere!!

Man, I got royally pissed off the other day in the car when my mate kept talkin during the quiet parts of Still Life :mad: ! and then! Then he went to turn down the heavy parts! :mad: :eek: Some people.

Originally posted by requiem

My Dying Bride aren't supposed to be about moshing and headbanging all the time. To call that a downside seems to me to be missing the point somewhat.

yeah well when your standing on a step where at the beginning theres only room for one person, and by the end 4 people are squashed on this thing you appreciate some movement so you can stretch your arms and breathe, but i think i phrased it wrong, when i said by no fault of theirs i meant due to their style...

and no i dont talk during the quiet moments in opeth songs :mad:

Sorry to drag this up, but surely everyone should be allowed to express their love for music in their own way?

Though YOU may not think MDB is good music to mosh too (And I will have to agree :D) that doesn't mean other people won't enjoy moshing to it.