I'm fucking shocked!

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
Damn,....
as you perhaps know I'm building my own studio at the moment...
to gather info and motivation I contacted a friend of mine again (haven't talked to him for about 4 month..) I don't wanna mention any names but he's been producing/engineering some of the bigger german Bands (Popbands-internationally known)...

I asked him for some advices etc and just wanted to chat about the usual producer-stuff......

He just told me he's out of the recording-business now and became something like a caretaker for a venue...wasn't able to make a half decent living of it anymore (producing)....
the bands he produced are fucking HUGE (there were times when they had a budget like 100.000+ to work with!)
He's an amazing engineer, I was lucky to work with him and I think I learned alot from him....
It was really kind of a shock when I contacted him to get some motivation and he told me that he -the one I look up to- wasn't able to make a decent living of it....

that scares me a bit I admit....

don't know why I'm telling you that, guess I just wanted to share and get some mojo from you guys that are in a similar situation as I am and still keep going and looking forward.....:)

fuck I hope he's doing well in his new job and happy with what he's doing now...

It's weird...I know that little studios have some problems to make a decent living of it (people that doesn't pay, unprofessional guys, etc...)...but a big working studio, working with "100.000€" people...uhm...I don't know...I suspect there is something else..

But the band also have to pay for studio time with Freelancers. I'd assume that the charge to rent a studio for however many weeks is more than the engineer needs to maintain a studio.

its crazy innit!
i went to a meeting with the guys at ignition studios in london formally the library and formally owned by Jules who started Gearslutz. he makes more money off gearslutz!!! mental