I'm sick of people saying all Opeth albums sound alike.

Schraiber

Opeth fanboy
Feb 5, 2002
Hell
I cannot see where they're coming from. Just because they all have heavy riffs and death vocals combined with acoustic guitars and soft vocals? I mean, Morningrise and MAYH sound NOTHING alike to me. I can barely tell they're the same band, they're so vastly different. And Deliverance seems to be a vast abandonment of their previous style, much more chord based, less acoustics, less arpeggios, etc.

I agree with Schraiber completely. Opeth albums sound very diverse. For example, Orchid and Blackwater Park are two totally different albums. I love all the Opeth albums, and they are all unique in there own sense. I was talking to my friend one time telling her how much I like death metal and stuff, and she said that she didn't like it because they all sounded the same to her!!! That pissed me off so much! I don't talk to her much anymore. I do talk to her and she's still my friend. I just haven't talked to her lately cause she and I have been getting into different things.

Originally posted by wreath of death
I agree with Schraiber completely. Opeth albums sound very diverse. For example, Orchid and Blackwater Park are two totally different albums. I love all the Opeth albums, and they are all unique in there own sense. I was talking to my friend one time telling her how much I like death metal and stuff, and she said that she didn't like it because they all sounded the same to her!!! That pissed me off so much! I don't talk to her much anymore.
just because she said that?

I'm sick of people who say they heard the entire Opeth catalog in just 2 months and came to the decision that they are not progressive enough...

NP: Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding

For someone with a well-trained metal ear, of course the albums don't all sound the same. However, I don't think anyone can make a case for a vast progression between each album. Mikael himself said that there would never be a huge change in style. The only real significant change in songwriting and sound was My Arms, Your Hearse as opposed to Morningrise. Since MAYH there have been few big changes. Compare this to a band like Ulver, who have been all over the place, from harsh black metal to folk to electronic minimalism. I think Opeth have changed their music just enough to keep most people satisfied that they were growing as musicians and songwriters. Needless to say, their musicianship has improved greatly in this time, which might account for some of the "change in sound". The bottom line, though, is that Opeth is a conservative band. Having said this, I must profess that I am drooling in anticipation of Damnation, perhaps their biggest step out of the box.

And yes, I've been an Opeth fan since '97, so I'm not one of the 'quick to judge' types.

They definitely don't all sound alike
but they have similarities...in a very good way
i mean their albums are so that if you like one, you'll like the others, there's no reason not to.
but they're all different albums with very different moods
none of them happy moods, but some of them having very dark or haunting, and then others having a very sad, desperate feel to them