Image? Useful or just a load of bull...?

MiniMoose

Apr 22, 2008
I find this an interesting subject because I used to be drawn to bands with a certain kind of image. Now I can't stand it...rather silly I think, because an image CAN give the music something...but it's a rare thing. Of course....I'm not certain about a lot of bands.
Katatonia being one of them.

Do anyone else have thoughts about this?

Personally, I don't really care about image. I listen to music for the sake of the music - not because of the band's appearance or ideology. The only thing that matters is that I enjoy what I'm listening to.

brutal01b.jpg

It could add to the intensity of the experience of the music.
When a band has a certain image and you've heard rumors about them/that it's possible that it adds to the music.
For example Slipknot; Their reputation is pretty obvious. When I was younger and kind of getting into that kind of music I listened to them with the kind of sick image in my head, which made the experience much stronger

It could add to the intensity of the experience of the music.
When a band has a certain image and you've heard rumors about them/that it's possible that it adds to the music.
For example Slipknot; Their reputation is pretty obvious. When I was younger and kind of getting into that kind of music I listened to them with the kind of sick image in my head, which made the experience much stronger

Sure..Gorgoroth is also a good example of that. I'm not a huge fan but can understand that they do have a greater appeal because their image is as brutal as the music is..well close enough. Peter Beste made photo book to catch the black metal feel. Someone has gathered some of the pictures in this clip: [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=zIbvFGzJy5c[/ame]

Some great pictures in there which actually adds to the experience. Of course..some subtract to..heh.

Cradle of filth is a band that has gotten a lot of shit throughout the years. Sure some of it they deserve. I've been a fan since Dusk...and her embrace came out. At the time it came out, the image they had worked wonders with the music. As I've grown older though I've outgrown the image. Or well, I've decided not to watch them, just listen to them. So yes, that works too.

It's bullshit. I don't listen to the sounds of clothes or make up.

In many ways I agree with this. It matters less and less..I'm always glad when a band just don't get the emo cut, makeup or black clothes. (mind you I wore black for 12 years or so...)

No matter what the image is..as an artist you always have an image either you like it or not. If you don't want to have an image, then that is your image. Image is how others perceive you, so maybe you mean you don't like it when artists try too hard?

Katatonia is no matter how hard I try to overlook it, very goth (oh cruel life etc) metal when it comes to image. They don't have any makeup (as far as I know..never really know these days). I actually think they would look better with just more normal clothes and cut hair. But then again...who the hell am I to tell them how to dress or look. The point might be that Katatonia fit their music in many ways and it at least for many adds to their music? They're getting older though and I'm looking forward to the inevitable change in a couple of years..will they grow tired of the dark metal depressive look? Paradise Lost did it and people went mad, but hey..they looked better in my eyes. Now they've gone back to the old style in their never ending back to the roots trip. It seems a bit, "we want to be young again". But heck, why not? Will Kat do the same? Time will show...

Chances anyone will answer this is 25%.

Image is a bit like.. dunno, the packaging. I always enjoy albums with very good artwork and etxra stuff no-one really needs and the image a band has is a bit like that. It's kinda nice if done well (some pics the Kata lads did for their promos are f.ex simply very very cool) and annoying if not (the change the awful JFAC went through, as someone pointed out in a different thread).

In many ways I agree with this. It matters less and less..I'm always glad when a band just don't get the emo cut, makeup or black clothes. (mind you I wore black for 12 years or so...)

No matter what the image is..as an artist you always have an image either you like it or not. If you don't want to have an image, then that is your image. Image is how others perceive you, so maybe you mean you don't like it when artists try too hard?

Katatonia is no matter how hard I try to overlook it, very goth (oh cruel life etc) metal when it comes to image. They don't have any makeup (as far as I know..never really know these days). I actually think they would look better with just more normal clothes and cut hair. But then again...who the hell am I to tell them how to dress or look. The point might be that Katatonia fit their music in many ways and it at least for many adds to their music? They're getting older though and I'm looking forward to the inevitable change in a couple of years..will they grow tired of the dark metal depressive look? Paradise Lost did it and people went mad, but hey..they looked better in my eyes. Now they've gone back to the old style in their never ending back to the roots trip. It seems a bit, "we want to be young again". But heck, why not? Will Kat do the same? Time will show...

Chances anyone will answer this is 25%.

Katatonia looks alright and their image is decent, but to me music is everything that should matter, even if their image was shittty, why should i care? it doesn't affect me, they have enough musical talent, that's what counts.

Image, how the bandmembers look, is really irrelevant to me. The music is all that matters. But the visual aspect of the music, artwork etc., can really add to the whole experience I think.

But then, sometimes the style of bandpics really can tell you something about the style of music and whether it will appeal to you. For instance, when I first discovered Dissection and bought their "The Somberlain" I was fascinated by the whole packaging of that CD, it looked so dark and ominous, including the bandpics, it really affected how I experienced the music, it really fit the music.

Also the pics of Black Metal bands, when well-executed, can really have an enhancing effect and add to the mysticism i.m.o. The pics on old Darkthrone CD's, old Dimmu Borgir (the original Stormblast), Satyricon, Emperor, Immortal etc., hell yeah, that was fascinating.

Every band has its image. If you like it or not. No matter if its the color of the artwork, the web page, the lyrics, the photosessions, the promotion. Every band has to think about what they like to express. How they name their music and so on.

Bigger bands maybe don't care that much theirselves about things like that. But their business environment does. Nothing happens by chance.

It's all about sound for me. It's the music that matters, not the image. Of course artwork and pictures will add to the "overall" experience of the band. But it's not that important. If I like a song, I won't stop listening to it or like it any less simply because of how the band present themselves.