IMPORTANT: Update to the rules - about bootlegs/covers

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

You might have noticed that the 'Opeth Live Video' thread disappeared. That's because Opeth's management decided that they didn't want their material to be propagated around their official forum. So, we would all collectively appreciate if you refrain from linking to, or continuing to exchange Opeth bootlegs over this forum.

- A new rule has been added in the 'Information' sticky that Opeth.com posted ages ago. You can see the punchline there.

In regards to Opeth song covers, if you check the FAQ, you'll see that Opeth.com has added a new line.

- What do I have to do if I want to do a cover of an Opeth song?
You need to credit the songwriter/publisher on the sleeve and register it with MCPS so that mechanicals/Prs income flows through to Opeth.

Now, I'm still trying to get things straight here, as from what I understand none of us who have covered Opeth songs in the past have used them to profit. They've generally been done for fun and learning. I'll get back to you on whether that rule applies to those or not.

Wow, I wonder if this is just a new forum rule, or did the band's new management suddenly turn against recording their shows? Ah well, doesn't really affect me.

Well from what I gathered, the band and Anna were cool with it to start with, but something happened to change their minds. I think they felt it got a bit out of hand, and the management wasn't too impressed. This is just speculation on my part though, not fact.

I wholeheartedly disagree about giving credit just for recording a cover of Opeth. We are giving credit as we've recorded! Is this all corporate stuff that's happening? If that's the case, then as a protest, I refuse to register and will continue to record covers, but I guess I won't be posting them here.

Now if I were to record a cd and sell it, I'll definitely credit Opeth.

thanks for letting us know anyway so that we can keep our heads up on these issues.

bball_1523 said:
I wholeheartedly disagree about giving credit just for recording a cover of Opeth. We are giving credit as we've recorded! Is this all corporate stuff that's happening? If that's the case, then as a protest, I refuse to register and will continue to record covers, but I guess I won't be posting them here.

Now if I were to record a cd and sell it, I'll definitely credit Opeth.

thanks for letting us know anyway so that we can keep our heads up on these issues.

If you're not making money off covering an Opeth song, you don't need to pay them, but you should say, "Hey, this is an Opeth song." If you wanted to make money from your cover, then you would have to contact their management, get permission, pay them, etc.

Moonlapse said:
Yeah, I just spoke with Anna. The covers we do for fun and non-profit are still fine. No registry of any sort is needed. So cover on, folks.

phew.

well, there isn't realy any proof, and it might just be psychology, but somehow things changed since they signed to RR

so wtf, if I play Leper Affinity at my bar gig on Friday....and they give us our 300 bucks for playing a show there...I have to give Opeth some money?

or is it just...if I record it and put it online. wtf.

sounds dumb to me.

the_drip said:
so wtf, if I play Leper Affinity at my bar gig on Friday....and they give us our 300 bucks for playing a show there...I have to give Opeth some money?

or is it just...if I record it and put it online. wtf.

sounds dumb to me.

Moonlapse said:
Yeah, I just spoke with Anna. The covers we do for fun and non-profit are still fine. No registry of any sort is needed. So cover on, folks.

Rensei said:
The Ulver - Kveldssanger thread was also deleted. Off-topic I guess? meh -_-
Haha, I didn't even notice it was gone...and I'm the one that started it :tickled:

But yeah, I'm surprised it was allowed in the first place, considering I made zero effort to relate it to Opeth in the original post :Spin: